Oasis April 2-9 2023 - a wonderful cruise!

Alas, here comes the last night's dinner - Mediterranean. image.thumb.jpeg.864b71092084dd878ad0af2d6fd1d3b5.jpeg

The tapas medley was very average. I like flavorful tzatziki sauce with dill, but this one tasted like plain sour cream. I've had better tzatziki sauce from a grocery store jar.

20230408_194852.thumb.jpg.0ae9147445cf5158897d5396686170cb.jpg

The seafood cake, on the other hand, was really yummy, and DH ordered two of them. Unfortunately, both cakes of his cakes were served on the same plate with just one smear of sauce, so there wasn't enough sauce to go with two cakes. I ordered one seafood cake and the amount of sauce was perfect for just one serving. IMHO, you have to have the sauce to truly appreciate the taste of this cake.

20230408_193906.thumb.jpg.9f116d5c228df31c022f8665bf6d207d.jpg

I ordered the steak, plain, no chimichurri sauce, and it was perfectly medium.

image.thumb.jpeg.32386e5617cf69ff83188a54537c909d.jpeg

The true HIGHLIGHT of my husband's MDR journey on this cruise: pecan crusted salmon. According to my husband, this was the best dish on this cruise. THE BEST. That truly says a lot, because my husband is not like me and doesn't often get excited about food. It was served with a creamy light horseradish sauce, and was flaky and tender. The flavor was superb, according to my hubs.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc648c89656630c036c88f2b6d00c11f.jpeg

The desserts were amazing as well:  light and fluffy peach trifle which we loved on previous cruises as well (I think it may have been called peach shortcake before)

20230408_202240.thumb.jpg.1c140b8417326f8c588207d9954bc9aa.jpg

Super rich brownie: DS loved it.

20230408_202203.thumb.jpg.5658f7a996e52d67a0945587dc668d02.jpg

and a chocolate cherry tart. To be fair, DS didn't like his, so I ended up eating both of them myself - good thing I really liked them. That's whipped cream, not ice cream.

20230408_202253.thumb.jpg.076e6cabdd326abc99972992372a5820.jpg

I believe we also ordered crema catalana, but it was just the creme brulee from one of the previous nights, and it was just as disappointing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Other notes on the ship food:

We had breakfast at the WJ daily. On some days it was impossible to find a table for the 3 of us, and they still let people in. Some diners were very obviously done with the breakfast, but kept lounging around on their phones, despite many loud speaker announcements that people were waiting for tables to become available and to please not linger after finishing breakfast. Some of the people were single diners occupying a round table for 5-6 people. Very inconsiderate.

Breakfast food at WJ was very basic. However, guacamole and smoked salmon were served every day. If you don't like the guac toast they make (different toppings every day), you can simply ask for guacamole separately or on a plain toast. I love avocado, so I had it for breakfast every day.

20230403_082738.thumb.jpg.4955f676b2d182797acce6cf014349a2.jpg

Omelettes were very good, and now they give you a buzzer.

20230404_104652.thumb.jpg.5f2746e78905209fa9c1e1a2b6864d19.jpg

My kid's daily WJ breakfast:

20230404_104658.thumb.jpg.ad7c4557a68af4df6783cf1f1ddc2b84.jpg

I only stopped by WJ for lunch once to look around - it was basic as well. We didn't stop by after MDR dinner like we do on Princess ships, though.

Sorrento Pizza only had pizza, so no grilled veggies or anything else. 

Park Cafe no longer has bagged chips. They also no longer have hot sandwiches we had enjoyed on previous Oasis class cruises: chihuahua cheese quesadilla or three cheese panini. They had about 3 kinds of panini sandwiches in the glass display, but none that we wished to try. Salad toppings were very basic this time, unlike on our previous cruises. My hubs used to love a custom made fancy topping salads from Park Cafe - they are gone now. Desserts used to be fun, but not so much now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little about our destinations... It was rainy in both San Juan and St Maarten, but it was much worse in St Maarten: thunder, lightening, cold wind, cold water.

So, in San Juan we asked the taxi driver for a beach with amenities. He recommended Isla Verde. Well, definitely not my definition of a beautiful beach, but the kid was super happy jumping in the waves for hours, so I have nothing to complain about. As long as our kids are happy, right?

There was a lot of construction around the beach. We paid a nominal fee for 3 loungers and an umbrella (I think $15 for the umbrella and $5 per chair?) and chose a place to set them up farther down the beach, with fewer people around.

20230405_133728.thumb.jpg.6aa57be9cbbf90d386fe523ee72971bf.jpg20230405_133721.thumb.jpg.96ee2d85f311488e7a9a938ccb0bb97f.jpg20230405_133626.thumb.jpg.9785f260c550f448f7dfc6de1b5fca51.jpg20230405_133738.thumb.jpg.653a7c0298e35120ee19172425ab033b.jpg20230405_133735.thumb.jpg.6bb1652b67247842773bb12625b1f53a.jpg

Water was very brown because of all the kicked up sand.

We called the taxi driver to come pick us up hours later (he gave us his card), and he got there fairly quickly. His car didn't go in reverse (it was very old), so my hubs and some random dude had to help push it, so that the taxi could turn around in the parking lot. Fun times. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

in St Maarten, we asked at the Tourist Kiosk about a beach to choose. I had some choices in advance, but still - nice to know local opinions. That's what we did last time and we went to Little bay. We liked it ok last time. Should have gone there this time as well.

This time, the kiosk lady said - Great Bay...  First, the land taxi (we didn't know about the water taxi) dropped us off in downtown, and we had to walk several blocks to the beach. Good thing my not so mobile dad wasn't with us. Then we had to walk down the very crowded (despite the rain and foul weather) beach before we found one spot that wasn't heavily populated. $20 for 2 loungers and an umbrella. The umbrella came in very handy when it poured down.

20230406_113025-Copy.thumb.jpg.51b8cef9468b4034be198c598216b0bf.jpg20230406_113040.thumb.jpg.621433173f71c3ca5eb4b1e50d7e96cb.jpg

We really didn't like this particular beach and will not come here again. Not pretty, too crowded even on a bad day, really bad wifi connection. A decent bathroom in a nearby restaurant, though.

We got some trinkets on the way back (lots of stores and stands along the beach) and also took the water taxi back ($7 roundtrip, $5 one way). This was the highlight of our trip to St Maarten. When we got back to the ship, the weather improved vastly and I walked around the port area to look for some more souvenirs and take some pictures. 

20230406_141517.thumb.jpg.43ab5f62439c6df70d17be62c2cea4cf.jpg

beautiful fragrant flowers:

20230406_141529.thumb.jpg.9225931f281ad65e272196fc3b1d41f6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cococay was as gorgeous as ever. This time I discovered a "secret" path from Chill Island to the South beach, and took it several times. It's so serene....

20230403_112733.thumb.jpg.fffab4fac58c9e42176141d54f7aafcd.jpg20230403_112503.thumb.jpg.5c46b100acbc23a09dcb1d28369ee265.jpg

if you stop for a second, you will see little lizards in the bushes:

image.thumb.jpeg.4c0a7e0435062131c54cc0568e541384.jpeg

The island is so beautiful and colorful:

20230403_135818.thumb.jpg.3aa42f0469e4598e4534265d7629d46f.jpg20230403_112849.thumb.jpg.9f9d615154650772171ed76c7e1cd9c7.jpg20230403_111753.thumb.jpg.7cd0198091f30b1d40732a1affaf3023.jpg20230403_111750.thumb.jpg.f10814b5a960ddf32c94c73a5f2dac9a.jpg

we ate at the Snack Shack like last time (Nov 2021), but I could swear - the food was much greasier this time. We had the same food: a chicken sammich, mozzarella sticks, funnel cake, grilled veggies.

Seagulls were out of control this time. They descended upon the tables and loungers while people were still eating. And if you got up to get something else and left your food unattended for a second - whoa!!!! Madhouse. 

The water was cold again, despite it being April instead of November. But it was sunnier and a lot more pleasant this time. I took at look at the buffet when I got some hamburger buns to hand feed the fishes. Buffet food looked very good, especially compared to Princess Cay buffet food. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before the cruise I made reservations with SAS shuttle to take us from the port of Miami to FLL. We got off the ship around 9 and I called the shuttle people as instructed. The guy told me the shuttles were gone till about 10 and we were ok with that and actually knew that in advance. 

Our flight was leaving at 1:30, so we had time. There was another family with kids waiting for SAS as well. Their mom called them several times and so did I, because no shuttles showed up by 10:40. All the other passengers waiting for shuttles were gone. The SAS guy either didn't answer the phone, or gave all sorts of excuses why the shuttles weren't coming. 

A different shuttle company offered to take us and we took them up on the offer ($20 pp as opposed to SAS's $15 pp). It was quick and easy, and still saved us a lot of money - DH priced an uber and it was $150 from the port to FLL at the time. Yikes.

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Before the cruise I made reservations with SAS shuttle to take us from the port of Miami to FLL. We got off the ship around 9 and I called the shuttle people as instructed. The guy told me the shuttles were gone till about 10 and we were ok with that and actually knew that in advance. 

Our flight was leaving at 1:30, so we had time. There was another family with kids waiting for SAS as well. Their mom called them several times and so did I, because no shuttles showed up by 10:40. All the other passengers waiting for shuttles were gone. The SAS guy either didn't answer the phone, or gave all sorts of excuses why the shuttles weren't coming. 

A different shuttle company offered to take us and we took them up on the offer ($20 pp as opposed to SAS's $15 pp). It was quick and easy, and still saved us a lot of money - DH priced an uber and it was $150 from the port to FLL at the time. Yikes.

Very similar thing happened with us in 2018 using SAS for a reserved return trip back to Fort Lauderdale air port. Between the owner Steve and the driver they couldn't get their lies together. We will never recommend or use them again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 10:16 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

onto the MDR food - it was good. I was worried because of all the recent changes to the menu and MDR procedures, but it was for not. 🙂 The food quality was just fine by RCI standards,.  

Thanks for a great and detailed review. Good to hear some positives about the food 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:54 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

I love the Oasis and will sail again in October out of NJ area.  I like the outside area in front of solarium.

Poor Cats, it is time to send that show away and get something else.

I am looking forward to eating at the BBQ place and yes, it is extra money, but I have heard reports that it is worth it.

We are also going on Oasis in October (Oct 1) and it will be our 2nd time. We went back in February and my biggest regret is NOT trying the BBQ... so that's a priority of mine this time around! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scottdalfonso said:

We are also going on Oasis in October (Oct 1) and it will be our 2nd time. We went back in February and my biggest regret is NOT trying the BBQ... so that's a priority of mine this time around! 

We live in Kansas City. This town takes pride in it's BBQ. Portside ranks up with the tops places around this area. We ate outside, so the views were great too. You won't be disappointed. We ate there twice! haha

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing- We will be on the Oasis this August from New Jersey.  Have sailed on her previously.  Love the ship.  We also have stayed and enjoyed the EB hotel- beautiful when sailing from Miami. However not much to do in Miami springs.  Great for one day/night. 

Now in Ft. Lauderdale, we stay at the Riverside Hotel on Los Olas Blvd.  Wonderful hotel and location!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We also have stayed and enjoyed the EB hotel- beautiful when sailing from Miami. However not much to do in Miami springs.

I wouldn't know about that. 🙂We usually get in late, leave by 10 am, and don't need to do anything besides getting a quick dinner....

And we only started getting in the day before after the pandemic, when all those airline messes started happening. And this time there was a freak winter storm and many people from the east and north didn't even make it to the cruise (even though they were flying in the day before). Some even boarded in PR...

1 hour ago, NoShoes2 said:

We live in Kansas City. This town takes pride in it's BBQ. Portside ranks up with the tops places around this area. We ate outside, so the views were great too. You won't be disappointed. We ate there twice! haha

Good to know! I'm from Philadelphia and we pride ourselves on Cheesesteaks. The Coco cay cheesesteak was ok considering it was made on a beach. But on my list of food to try next time besides the BBQ is the room service cheesesteak and room service wings (people swear by the room service wings!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

And this time there was a freak winter storm and many people from the east and north didn't even make it to the cruise (even though they were flying in the day before). Some even boarded in PR...

We had a tornado watch! My family was in the plane and next to depart when weather shut us down. We had nonstop lightning, rain and bad winds (the plane was bouncing up and down because the wind was catching the wings). Then a tornado warning, then a watch. We departed 3 hours late and didn't get to Galveston until 1am (felt like 2am to us due to the time change). 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Make sure to make all the possible show reservations in advance. Make the other ones as soon as you get onboard (like laser tag). Public skating was a bust - they scheduled the registration for it at 2:45 on skating days, but by 2 pm all the time slots were "sold out". Our kid didn't get to skate...

Going a week from today, can you explain what you mean about ice skating. They open registration at 2:45 but it was sold out by 2:00? Ice skating is one of those things my kids REALLY want to do so I want to make 100% sure we get a spot...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperPlanner said:

Going a week from today, can you explain what you mean about ice skating. They open registration at 2:45 but it was sold out by 2:00? Ice skating is one of those things my kids REALLY want to do so I want to make 100% sure we get a spot...

yes, people lined up before 2 pm for a "registration that opens at 2:45" and the line was so long, the crew decided not to wait till 2:45 and just start dealing out time slots. By the time some people, including me, showed up at 2:30, all the time slots were "sold out". *

Thankfully, my kid doesn't like ice skating anymore, but he was very much into laser tag. Laser tag is open only on the first 2 days, so make ALL the reservations on the app as soon as you get onboard, and you can reserve more than one session, unlike show reservations. My kid loved it so much that he played for hours. Sessions are about 10 minutes long, unlike the app info that says 30 minutes. They mean - you are going to wait for 20 minutes and then play for 10. 🙂

*My town has an ice rink and public skating is only $7 per session - no lines, no waiting. I'd look into that if your kids want to skate. Mine doesn't like skating onboard Oasis class anymore because "the rink is too small and crowded." But when he tried it for the first time on the Allure pre-pandemic and loved it, but they didn't have sign ups and it was just show up and skate.

44 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, people lined up before 2 pm for a "registration that opens at 2:45" and the line was so long, the crew decided not to wait till 2:45 and just start dealing out time slots. By the time some people, including me, showed up at 2:30, all the time slots were "sold out". *

Thankfully, my kid doesn't like ice skating anymore, but he was very much into laser tag. Laser tag is open only on the first 2 days, so make ALL the reservations on the app as soon as you get onboard, and you can reserve more than one session, unlike show reservations. My kid loved it so much that he played for hours. Sessions are about 10 minutes long, unlike the app info that says 30 minutes. They mean - you are going to wait for 20 minutes and then play for 10. 🙂

*My town has an ice rink and public skating is only $7 per session - no lines, no waiting. I'd look into that if your kids want to skate. Mine doesn't like skating onboard Oasis class anymore because "the rink is too small and crowded." But when he tried it for the first time on the Allure pre-pandemic and loved it, but they didn't have sign ups and it was just show up and skate.

Am I able to register the whole family

if I stand in line or does everyone need to be there to register? If just me, do they need all sea passes? Thanks!

1 hour ago, SuperPlanner said:

Am I able to register the whole family

if I stand in line or does everyone need to be there to register? If just me, do they need all sea passes? Thanks!

I believe one person can register the whole family. You may also need to sign a waiver for your minors.

In the past once you signed the waiver, they punched a hole into the child's card. Don't know about now.