Celebrity Apex - StarLink speed

Jim_Iain

25 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks much.   How’s the weather and seas.   We are a bit south and staying a bit further south.   5- 7 foot waves.   I was wondering if StarLink is better at holding connections 

Good slightly afternoon from the Silhouette. The sea’s yesterday were 9 feet and now 12 feet today.  The Captain described yesterday as medium and today as rough.  The belief is today will be the worst day.  The temperature is 58 degrees and I am seeing a little blue skies up ahead now.  Here is the Starlink Speed as of now sitting just outside the solarium on the pool deck in a lounger.  I have had very few problems with connection.  Cheers!

IMG_1034.png

Edited by bnurick

Am I the only person that thinks the price for either basic or premium wifi is outrageous?

Premium is $30/day for one device, and basic is $17/day for one device.  On the Infinity last fall, and the basic was barely good enough to read emails.  I hope it's better with starlink.  At least make basic useful for reading email or teams style messaging, etc.  

Also, on my online account on Celebrity's website, it says "save even more on multiple devices", but it's not giving me the option to add multiple devices (unless you have to click "reserve", which I'm hesitant to do till I know for sure.  How do you pre purchase a multi device package on the website?

Edited by kywildcatfanone

15 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Am I the only person that thinks the price for either basic or premium wifi is outrageous?

Premium is $30/day for one device, and basic is $17/day for one device.  On the Infinity last fall, and the basic was barely good enough to read emails.  I hope it's better with starlink.  At least make basic useful for reading email or teams style messaging, etc.  

Also, on my online account on Celebrity's website, it says "save even more on multiple devices", but it's not giving me the option to add multiple devices (unless you have to click "reserve", which I'm hesitant to do till I know for sure.  How do you pre purchase a multi device package on the website?

If you are adding to an existing plan call Celebrity and do it over the phone. 

If you are making an initial purchase, then select that option when making the purchase.

Clicking Reserve will not get you billed.  That does not come until you select accept and provide a payment menthod.

• Like 1

Thanks, I see that now.  If you select one device, can you switch between multiple devices, but not both at the same time?  That is how Princess does it, you just have to log out of one and into the other.

Or if you add two devices, you just log into each one with the information the ship gives you for logging in, and you can use any devices you have, just log out and into a different one? I will have my phone, tablet, and work laptop, but would only need one at a time to be online.  

4/27/2923 12 noon

Surprised internet really good.  Due to high winds everyone is inside and everywhere I look people are on phones and laptop.   Really a good test with about 3,200 aboard

IMG_2838.thumb.png.2d5215faf0fd0d163335138f9f5f0072.png

IMG_2839.thumb.png.a1ee49c3fd2bf7d1837e45a93b237581.png

Major stress test.   High winds and 12 foot seas

Internet stable and streaming well.  Showing almost 2% packet loss.  

Little explanation.  When you press the send button your modem sends out the data in small packets ms apart.  The transceiver receives the packet and if it doesn’t verify it requests a resend of packet and eventually puts the data back together.    Packet loss and resend aren’t seen in speed but you will see in as slow response. 

IMG_2856.thumb.png.47c44109c506c2db61021b443d3642e2.png

• Like 1

4/23.  Exact coordinates on bridge cam but I’m guessing mid-Atlantic 

Internet dropped for 5 minutes when came up did speed test.   Good speeds but heavy packet loss

IMG_2907.thumb.jpeg.610f949a05cdb9028ec239629788b782.jpeg

We all the sudden hitting London as best server instead of Atlanta and Miami.  Wonder if we switched to new satellite. 

IMG_2908.thumb.png.aa0dd28aef1b6a4a68997b24606411b1.png

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The Reflection TA , basic internet has been about 1 mb download everyday , the only thing we cannot do is stream 

People who have using it to work have not had any problems 

IMG_3217.png

Thats' really good to hear.     I didn't realize how expensive internet was - basic and Premium on a 15 day cruise until looking at the details.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:12 PM, kywildcatfanone said:

If you select one device, can you switch between multiple devices, but not both at the same time? 

Yes---if you switch, it'll bump the previous off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

They pretty much network like at work where you have a main pipe in and 100's of routers throughout the ship that feed the individual users.