Condition of the Grand Princess.

On 4/17/2023 at 1:52 PM, lyndarra said:

They do the log rolling/walking in the lumberjack show which fun. Have previously done the Duck tour, it's a good, low activity.

I'll be there with some friends in June. Have already booked the Yukon White Pass train/coach tour from Skagway.

Nothing booked yet  for  Juneau.

DSC06079.JPG

DSC03632.JPG

DSC06289.JPG

DSC06310.JPG

Mr beer drinker,

For Juneau, pay for a cheap tour from near the ship to Alaskan Brewery. The location is nothing special, but the ticket covers you for transport and tastings. Quite a nice little microbrewery. They do seasonal small experimental batches, and there was something so awesome about the bourbon barrel aged porter they had on tap while we were last there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:04 PM, MicCanberra said:

Wow

This would be double scary if officer Alfie Smith is currently aboard the Grand. If the ship is being sympathetic to Titanic, I wouldn't want to see a Smith on the bridge.

• Haha 2

On 4/17/2023 at 1:20 PM, Cbtours said:

Will do. It has been a pretty big time with family health issues since we returned from South Africa in December, resulting in Franks son in South Africa ending up with a leg amputation (from a sore knee 12 dec to amputation Dec 22) which was a huge shock for us all. Hence we cancelled out Sydney Hawaii cruise in September deciding instead to return to South Africa to see Sammy.

On my side, my eldest daughter had a recurrence of colon cancer in a few other areas and is currently undergoing aggressive chemo in the hope of a cure, and then they will do major surgery (even if they have cured it) to make sure it's all gone.

So actually, it feels like bad timing to go away but she is insistent that we are definitely going!!! She's a star. And we all have faith that she's in God's hands regardless of any situtation.

Irene, I have just now read your post. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Frank and your respective children.🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Irene, I have just now read your post. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Frank and your respective children.🙏

Thank you. All prayers are appreciated 🥰

22 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I didn't find any of these issues with the Grand Princess and we were on there for 20 days back in March 2023. Only thing was our pictures keep falling off the wall. But I put that down to the rough seas at times.

One thing I did notice about the Grand was the wardrobe space seemed cramped. 

What pictures.  We stayed in three different cabins over the course of the summer and all pictures had been removed so that they could install wall mounted tvs.  The cabins looked rather sterile without some colour.

As for those chairs in Explorers.  I saw one older lady who was not very slim or agile get stuck and it took 3 men to haul her out of a chair.  We always tried to get one of those chairs which have a handle on the back because they are slightly higher and firmer, however if you end up sitting on one of the lower ones then your chin rests on the table.  It was like sitting on a cushion on the floor.  Same for the couches, absolutely terrible to get up from.  Why why why are they like that.  Suitable for hobbits only.

As for the chairs in Vista, I don't think I saw one that didn't have the vinyl peeling off it.  They looked awful.

Still I've booked her again.  We don't have many options out of Melbourne.

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Princess Chatterer said:
On 4/17/2023 at 6:12 PM, NSWP said:

Standby for ye olde Grand Princess to be transferred to P&O Australia to join the other relics, lol.

We will probably inherit QM2 in about 10 years, lol.

See message above.

Edited by Princess Chatterer
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 11:37 PM, arxcards said:

This would be double scary if officer Alfie Smith is currently aboard the Grand. If the ship is being sympathetic to Titanic, I wouldn't want to see a Smith on the bridge.

I think Alfie is landbased these days. Pity, I enjoyed his videos

• Like 1

Re my posting 12 months ago re the condition of Grand Princess.

I was pleased to see when cruising on her this season that they have completely renovated the Vista lounge and it looks lovely now.  All chairs have been reupholstered/replaced .

The low chairs in Explorers appear to be re-sprung and although they are still low you are now at shoulder height not chin height.  It is still a race to get the higher chairs when looking for a table.

• Like 3