Condition of the Grand Princess.

Greetings,

I read recently on another forum that the condition of the Grand Princess has deteriorated, to the point where ceilings in public areas are leaking and there are buckets underneath to catch the leaks. Also, the standard of entertainment has dropped as well. Can anybody who has sailed on her recently provide their opinions?

Reason I ask is we are booked on the Grand next year sailing out of Melbourne and I am now considering switching to the Majestic Princess sailing out of Sydney. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

We were on her last month and I don't recall seeing any leaky ceilings or buckets. She was in reasonable condition for an older ship. 

We didn't get to any of the shows but the entertainers in Crooners and the Wheelhouse were good but entertainers change regularly.

Edit: I'd choose Grand over Majestic any day. At least Grand has all the regular bars and lounges for entertainment.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We were on her last month and I don't recall seeing any leaky ceilings or buckets. She was in reasonable condition for an older ship. 

We didn't get to any of the shows but the entertainers in Crooners and the Wheelhouse were good but entertainers change regularly.

Edit: I'd choose Grand over Majestic any day. At least Grand has all the regular bars and lounges for entertainment.

I was on Grand last November and it seemed fine. I really didn't notice anything. The lack of Crooners was a real pity on Majestic - the bars are small (lots of them) but very little seating. Also glad to hear Bistro Sur La Mer is being replaced - it was very ordinary I thought. 

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree, we have done both Grand and Majestic recently this year, and would much rather the Grand.

1 hour ago, Fletch1 said:

Greetings,

I read recently on another forum that the condition of the Grand Princess has deteriorated, to the point where ceilings in public areas are leaking and there are buckets underneath to catch the leaks. Also, the standard of entertainment has dropped as well. Can anybody who has sailed on her recently provide their opinions?

Reason I ask is we are booked on the Grand next year sailing out of Melbourne and I am now considering switching to the Majestic Princess sailing out of Sydney. 

Thanks in advance.

I just had a group of nine friends do Melbourne to NZ who absolutely loved it. We’re on it for Alaska 14 day May6-20 vancouver return. I’m happy to report back on here.

• Like 1

We are also trying to decide if we do the majestic or the grand for New Zealand over Christmas 2023. I did love the majestic and dads trying out the grand on the 14 night Alaska cruise 29 July.

I guess it comes down to what is leaking. A blocked aircon condensate pipe is a lot less of an issue than a waste pipe.

Majestic is indeed a newer ship, but I much prefer the layout of Grand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cbtours said:

I just had a group of nine friends do Melbourne to NZ who absolutely loved it. We’re on it for Alaska 14 day May6-20 vancouver return. I’m happy to report back on here.

Bon Voyage  Spring is a lovely time of year to visit Alaska. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Grand in January and again last month. We found the condition of the ship good and the entertainment quite acceptable. I think like all of the hospitality industry it is a battle to get back to pre pandemic standards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

14 days return should be good.  What are your ports of call?

Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau - each visited twice. In all my researching what and where, a few things helped make my decision. (When I say 'My" I'm really meaning "we" as Frank happily lets me research and book everything and he just goes along and enjoys the ride lol)

1. I could fly direct from Sydney to Vancouver. I referred this that doing in and out of other US cities.

2. I looked at land based portions (cruisetours) and decided I could see land based stuff, even though its a different country to Aus) anywhere but the whole glacier thing was my number one priority hence I decided to do the 14 days return which gave us double options for inclement weather for glacier cruising and ports. If an excursion gets cancelled first week we have a chance of catching on return trip sort of thing.

3. I have excursions booked via Princess. In my research there wasn't a huge price difference with independent tours and I so prefer the security of princess guarantee.

So, I'm hoping it all works well. We have four days in Vancouver first staying Pan Pacific at the port. Looking forward to exploring Stanley Park, walking the seawall types of things.

1 minute ago, Cbtours said:

Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau - each visited twice. In all my researching what and where, a few things helped make my decision. (When I say 'My" I'm really meaning "we" as Frank happily lets me research and book everything and he just goes along and enjoys the ride lol)

1. I could fly direct from Sydney to Vancouver. I referred this that doing in and out of other US cities.

2. I looked at land based portions (cruisetours) and decided I could see land based stuff, even though its a different country to Aus) anywhere but the whole glacier thing was my number one priority hence I decided to do the 14 days return which gave us double options for inclement weather for glacier cruising and ports. If an excursion gets cancelled first week we have a chance of catching on return trip sort of thing.

3. I have excursions booked via Princess. In my research there wasn't a huge price difference with independent tours and I so prefer the security of princess guarantee.

So, I'm hoping it all works well. We have four days in Vancouver first staying Pan Pacific at the port. Looking forward to exploring Stanley Park, walking the seawall types of things.

It sounds wonderful, Irene. 

Say "hi" to Frank from us. 😘

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cbtours said:

All sounds well researched,  I like your thinking.  Miss a view one way, catch it on your return under better conditions!  I explored Stanley Park and walked the seawall in Vancouver also.  Will you be able to watch all the ships to and from Alaska from your hotel?

My favourite port is Juneau, the Capital.  TRAVELJUNEAU.COM

(MENDENHALL GLACIER 13 MILES FROM DOWNTOWN)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It sounds wonderful, Irene. 

Say "hi" to Frank from us. 😘

Will do. It has been a pretty big time with family health issues since we returned from South Africa in December, resulting in Franks son in South Africa ending up with a leg amputation (from a sore knee 12 dec to amputation Dec 22) which was a huge shock for us all. Hence we cancelled out Sydney Hawaii cruise in September deciding instead to return to South Africa to see Sammy.

On my side, my eldest daughter had a recurrence of colon cancer in a few other areas and is currently undergoing aggressive chemo in the hope of a cure, and then they will do major surgery (even if they have cured it) to make sure it's all gone.

So actually, it feels like bad timing to go away but she is insistent that we are definitely going!!! She's a star. And we all have faith that she's in God's hands regardless of any situtation.

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

All sounds well researched,  I like your thinking.  Miss a view one way, catch it on your return under better conditions!  I explored Stanley Park and walked the seawall in Vancouver also.  Will you be able to watch all the ships to and from Alaska from your hotel?

My favourite port is Juneau, the Capital.  TRAVELJUNEAU.COM

(MENDENHALL GLACIER 13 MILES FROM DOWNTOWN)

Yes re port watching, the Pan Pacific is located on top of the port, we just take the escalator down to the ship. It's our first time in Canada.

We have booked to do Mendenhall glacier excursion and rain hail or shine i am walking to nugget falls lol. Also have Allen Family whale watching tour, White Pass railway, Town & Duck tour and Lumberjack show booked. Outside of excursions we plan to walk the towns and do some trails maybe.

5 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Yes re port watching, the Pan Pacific is located on top of the port, we just take the escalator down to the ship. It's our first time in Canada.

We have booked to do Mendenhall glacier excursion and rain hail or shine i am walking to nugget falls lol. Also have Allen Family whale watching tour, White Pass railway, Town & Duck tour and Lumberjack show booked. Outside of excursions we plan to walk the towns and do some trails maybe.

i like your choice of excursions.  I wonder if the railway still meets the ship on the wharf? The Lumberjack Show should be fun.  I love wood chop.  However Canadians walk on logs in the water also.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

i like your choice of excursions.  I wonder if the railway still meets the ship on the wharf? The Lumberjack Show should be fun.  I love wood chop.  However Canadians walk on logs in the water also.  

They do the log rolling/walking in the lumberjack show which fun. Have previously done the Duck tour, it's a good, low activity.

I'll be there with some friends in June. Have already booked the Yukon White Pass train/coach tour from Skagway.

Nothing booked yet  for  Juneau.

DSC06079.JPG

DSC03632.JPG

DSC06289.JPG

DSC06310.JPG

33 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Will do. It has been a pretty big time with family health issues since we returned from South Africa in December, resulting in Franks son in South Africa ending up with a leg amputation (from a sore knee 12 dec to amputation Dec 22) which was a huge shock for us all. Hence we cancelled out Sydney Hawaii cruise in September deciding instead to return to South Africa to see Sammy.

On my side, my eldest daughter had a recurrence of colon cancer in a few other areas and is currently undergoing aggressive chemo in the hope of a cure, and then they will do major surgery (even if they have cured it) to make sure it's all gone.

So actually, it feels like bad timing to go away but she is insistent that we are definitely going!!! She's a star. And we all have faith that she's in God's hands regardless of any situtation.

So sorry to hear about your daughter and Frank's son. I hope they both have a good recovery.

• Like 1

I haven't been on Grand Princess but would expect that it is the next ship to leave the Princess fleet.  It is the oldest ship in the fleet by far and the only remaining member of the original Grand class in the fleet with her sisters Golden and Star now both with P&O Aust.  

This was posted on another social media forum about 50 minutes ago by a passenger currently on The Grand.........

On the GRAND.
At midnight on the anniversary of the Titanic sinking, we woke at midnight to a dark ship.
All cabins on ALL DECKS 700-750 have no electricity, no lights, no air conditioning. It is 1 day later, we are ALL moving to new cabins - every cabin 700-750 on ALL DECKS. We got moved from a lovely balcony on B to a horrid inside E cabin. We are told there will be "compensation".
The Vista and 1 diningroom is also without power.
There was smoke but no fire. I tried to post the Captains announcements but they are too long. Here's today's letter.
And yes, this is real and no joke.
Ty to the Captain for keeping us safe - but, after leaks and buckets and this, I'd never sail the Grand again. We will spend 14 of our 33 days, the part that goes to Hawaii in an inside cabin after paying $20,000 for air, hotels, cruise and tours.

7 hours ago, Cbtours said:

. We have four days in Vancouver first staying Pan Pacific at the port. Looking forward to exploring Stanley Park, walking the seawall types of things.

When we were in Vancouver we enjoyed a trip on cute ferries to Granville Island and markets where they have marvellous displays of fruit.

Also enjoyed Capilano Suspension Bridge Park and Grouse Mountain. Both are easily reached by free shutlles from the city or public transport. At Grouse Mountain you can see grizzly bears, interesting to watch and I think we also saw a lumberjack show there. You will thoroughly enjoy it.

We were there in May and were wearing summer clothing in Ketchikan and they will have sales of their winter clothing.

We also did a Princess land tour from Anchorage to McKinlay and Denali also very worthwhile.

• Thanks 1