Epicurean on Iona - Kjartan Skjelde Tasting Menu

Selbourne

5 hours ago, Lisashusband said:

Just as a final note there is a pretty good wine flight in the glass house for £10.50 and that will be our drink of choice for this evening.

I hope this was of help Selbourne and if there’s anything else I can help you with then please ask.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a wine flight?

A wine flight is where you have 3 different glasses of wine ( in this case all the same colour ) for a set price.

You will see the same thing in various pubs where you have 3 1/3 of a pint so that you get to experience different ales , in this case my wife has discovered that she like Chianti !

I will take a picture later and show you.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a wine flight?

They are quite common in restaurants with tasting menus. There is a wine that is paired with each course (usually a small glass, so that you can get through them all). P&O use the term for 3 different wines in the Glasshouse, but a wine flight in a restaurant is usually more. Often an aperitif and / or sparking wine to start, white(s) with the first courses, moving to red(s) with main, desert wine and sometimes port with cheese. All chosen by the sommelier to pair with each course. When we have had tasting menus in posh restaurants ashore I can never have the wine flight as I’m driving. Obviously on a cruise I wouldn’t have that worry!

Edited by Selbourne

A wine flight is a selection of wines with a common theme tying them together. A flight typically consists of between three and eight but sometimes, even more, brought together for tasting and comparison purposes. They are usually presented on a board or tray and are accompanied by tasting notes and possibly some small snacks. Most commonly each wine will be served in a smaller than standard measure.

Wine pairing is a process of combining food dishes with the perfect wine to make the perfect dining experience. The main consideration is to match the wine to the most prominent element of the dish

In this case we are talking about wine pairing rather than wine flight I think.

Ie paired wines to dinner courses

My wife and I have started doing this when we can. Makes the meal more interesting. We just buy one "pairing' (one small glass per course between us) and it's nice to taste and understand some wine with each course. We drink water alongside it which clears the palate and ensures we don't go thirsty!

Normally involves the sommelier describing the wine, where it comes from etc etc and why it pairs well 

Adds a bit of theatre to the meal

And I do believe the wine tastes better after you taste the food and vice versa

Can be very very expensive in some restaurants to add this. Hence one pairing between two helps!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

In a restaurant it's the pairing wine flight that's relevant

My wife and I have started doing this when we can. Makes the meal more interesting. We just buy one "pairing' between us and it's nice to taste and understand some wine with each course. Alongside water. We've never had a restaurant object to us sharing a pairing. 

Normally involves the sommelier describing the wine, where it comes from and why it pairs well etc

Adds a bit of theatre and fun to the meal

Can be very very expensive in some Michelin restaurants to do this

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

In this case we are talking about wine pairing rather than wine flight I think.

Ie paired wines to dinner courses

My wife and I have started doing this when we can. Makes the meal more interesting. We just buy one "pairing' (one small glass per course between us) and it's nice to taste and understand some wine with each course. We drink water alongside it which clears the palate and ensures we don't go thirsty!

Normally involves the sommelier describing the wine, where it comes from etc etc and why it pairs well 

Adds a bit of theatre to the meal

Can be very very expensive in some restaurants to add this. Hence one pairing between two helps!!

Spot on. In my initial post I inadvertently used the term wine flight when I meant pairing. I further confused matters by using both terms in a subsequent post when I gave examples of what wine pairing in a tasting menu usually comprises!

The reason that I asked the question in the first place was because the menu shows a suggested wine for each course of the tasting menu. I therefore assumed that you could pay a supplement in order to have a glass of the suggested wine with each course (as you and I have both done in restaurants with tasting menus ashore). 

So, to clarify, I was talking about paired wines with each course of a tasting menu and not wine flights, such as those served in the GlassHouse, which is an entirely different thing. 

20 minutes ago, Lisashusband said:

Ahh well good news Selbourne yes you could pay the supplement to have the suggested wines in various ml sizes

Great. I don’t suppose you can recall how much it was to have the paired wines with each course?

When we were on Iona last July I had looked into this and was excited to book. Sadly Epicurean was closed during that cruise, but I do remember that there was a vegetarian tasting menu alongside the meat / fish one. I remember this as my wife doesn't like lamb, so we were hoping to swap out the lamb course for the veggie one instead.

Found this online:

Norwegian Taster Menu

Amuse Crispy Chicken Skin, White Fish Caviar*, Watercress Mayonnaise Cabbage Shoots, Marigold Petals and Vinaigrette (gf)

Starter Pickled Beets, Goat’s Cheese Cream and Apple Crisp Rye (v) These beets are from Brims, an island outside Stavanger, and are prepared using a traditional Norwegian cooking method of pickling. Gluten-free option available

Fish Fillet of Lightly Smoked Mountain Trout* Horseradish Cream, Pickled Cucumber and Puffed Rye This brown trout is reared in Røldalsfjellet and weighs approximately 500-600grams. In this dish, the trout is lightly smoked, served together with a fresh cucumber salad and a rich horseradish cream – a classic Norwegian combination. Gluten-free option available

Main Course Fillet of Jaeren Costal Lamb* Potato Cream Mayonnaise, White Onions, Baby Carrots, Hispi Cabbage Chive Oil, Jus Gras and Butter Emulsion (gf) The lamb gets its unique taste from the ‘salty’ soil and is crispened and accompanied with a powerful potato cream mayonnaise and a shredded lamb garnish.

Pre-Dessert Cream Cheese Ice Cream, Buerre Noisette and a Sweet Crumb The ice cream is made from a delicate local cheese.

Dessert White Chocolate Espuma and Cloudberry Sorbet Meringue, Caramelised White Chocolate, Cloudberries (gf) This is a modified variant of the classic Norwegian dessert cloudberry and cream. Cloudberries are very juicy with a similar taste to a raspberry or a redcurrant. They can be fairly tart when eaten raw but with a hint of floral sweetness.

Coffee and Petit Fours Caramel and Forest Mushroom Fudge (gf) This Finnish fudge has a light aroma of cep mushrooms.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Norwegian Vegetarian Taster

Menu Amuse Crispy Green Cabbage, Watercress Mayonnaise Cabbage Shoots, Marigold Petals and Vinaigrette (gf)

Starter Pickled Beets, Goat’s Cheese Cream and Apple Crisp Rye These beets are from Brims, an island outside Stavanger, and are prepared using a traditional Norwegian cooking method of pickling. Gluten-free option available

Salad Cucumber Salad Horseradish Cream and Puffed Rye Gluten-free option available

Main Course Salad of Roasted Celeriac, Creamed Potatoes, White Onions, Baby Carrots, Hispi Cabbage Cabbage Chive Oil, Butter Emulsion (gf)

Pre-Dessert Cream Cheese Ice Cream, Buerre Noisette and a Sweet Crumb The ice cream is made from a delicate local cheese.

Dessert White Chocolate Espuma and Cloudberry Sorbet Meringue, Caramelised White Chocolate, Cloudberries (gf) This is a modified variant of the classic Norwegian dessert cloudberry and cream. Cloudberries are very juicy with a similar taste to a raspberry or a redcurrant. They can be fairly tart when eaten raw but with a hint of floral sweetness.

Coffee and Petit Fours Caramel and Forest Mushroom Fudge (gf) This Finnish fudge has a light aroma of cep mushrooms.

• Like 2

The Epicurean is really good value compared to land restaurants. We’re going to a hotel an hour away from us next weekend overnight and they have a 7 course taster menu with wine pairings. It’s £77 each and the wine is extra! 
We’re walking to a restaurant 10 minutes away for our dinner!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

The Epicurean is really good value compared to land restaurants. We’re going to a hotel an hour away from us next weekend overnight and they have a 7 course taster menu with wine pairings. It’s £77 each and the wine is extra! 
We’re walking to a restaurant 10 minutes away for our dinner!

I just paid 100 pounds each for a 4 course set dinner menu in Scottish Highlands (wine  not included)

15 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I just paid 100 pounds each for a 4 course set dinner menu in Scottish Highlands (wine  not included)

However, you can pay much much more for tasting menus in UK now

The Fat Duck in Bray (Heston Blumenthal) the meal itself (without drinks) costs 395 per person for dinner (275 for lunch)

In 2020 the cost of wine pairings was as follows: (those prices have gone up since - I believe the most expensive wine pairing is 995 per person for example)

The Playfulness non-alcoholic drink pairing offered so many spectacular choices that not only matched the food to a tee (no pun intended), but they also educated me. I was introduced to many flavours which I never thought I would like. As an example I discovered that I like the kombucha tea flavour and after the experience, I ordered some for home.

The Playfulness pairing was priced at £80 and came with seven drinks to match one or a suite of dishes. To put this into perspective, the alcoholic tastings were priced as follows:

• £98 for the partially alcoholic pairing consisting of 3 glasses of wine plus non-alcoholic drinks from the Playfulness selection
  • £155 for less known wines that still hold their own
  • £265 got you some spectacular wines and vintages from around the world
  • £750 gets you absolutely iconic and rare wines and vintages that will have even the most seasoned sommelier drooling with anticipation

The three fully alcoholic options all offer seven glasses and one of them is a sake.

Discretionary service charge of 12.5 per cent is added to the above

Realistically a dinner there with just the basic  wine pairing for 2 people is costing 600 pounds each including tips

It's a foodie experience of a  lifetime though. 

(I've not been yet)

I've had lunch at Dinner by Heston in London though. That cost 450 for my wife and I with just a couple of drinks each

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

However, you can pay much much more for tasting menus in UK now

The Fat Duck in Bray (Heston Blumenthal) the meal itself (without drinks) costs 395 per person for dinner (275 for lunch)

In 2020 the cost of wine pairings was as follows: (those prices have gone up since - I believe the most expensive wine pairing is 995 per person for example)

The Playfulness non-alcoholic drink pairing offered so many spectacular choices that not only matched the food to a tee (no pun intended), but they also educated me. I was introduced to many flavours which I never thought I would like. As an example I discovered that I like the kombucha tea flavour and after the experience, I ordered some for home.

The Playfulness pairing was priced at £80 and came with seven drinks to match one or a suite of dishes. To put this into perspective, the alcoholic tastings were priced as follows:

• £98 for the partially alcoholic pairing consisting of 3 glasses of wine plus non-alcoholic drinks from the Playfulness selection
  • £155 for less known wines that still hold their own
  • £265 got you some spectacular wines and vintages from around the world
  • £750 gets you absolutely iconic and rare wines and vintages that will have even the most seasoned sommelier drooling with anticipation

The three fully alcoholic options all offer seven glasses and one of them is a sake.

Discretionary service charge of 12.5 per cent is added to the above

Realistically a dinner there with just the basic  wine pairing for 2 people is costing 600 pounds each including tips

It's a foodie experience of a  lifetime though. 

(I've not been yet)

I've had lunch at Dinner by Heston in London though. That cost 450 for my wife and I with just a couple of drinks each

Thanks for the education, how the other half live. One can't help but feel fools and their money etc.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Thanks for the education, how the other half live. One can't help but feel fools and their money etc.

Heston Blumenthal did a television programme in 2010 for the BBC where he sought out the best cuts of meat for a Sunday roast. When it came to the chicken he bought it in France stating it was the only way to guarantee good quality.  Factoring the flight, transport either end and the actual bird it worked out that the chicken lunch (which you were meant to cook at home) was over £120 a person.  At the time he was just starting his relationship with Waitrose where a family sized chicken was on sale for £5.00, needless to say they weren't happy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Heston Blumenthal did a television programme in 2010 for the BBC where he sought out the best cuts of meat for a Sunday roast. When it came to the chicken he bought it in France stating it was the only way to guarantee good quality.  Factoring the flight, transport either end and the actual bird it worked out that the chicken lunch (which you were meant to cook at home) was over £120 a person.  At the time he was just starting his relationship with Waitrose where a family sized chicken was on sale for £5.00, needless to say they weren't happy!

I also saw a show where he found that ribeye was the best steak for taste

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I also saw a show where he found that ribeye was the best steak for taste

I agree with him on that, but I don't go to the Highlands to buy it!  Tesco do a very nice one for £5.00 each and its locally sourced for here, well Hampshire but not far.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I agree with him on that, but I don't go to the Highlands to buy it!  Tesco do a very nice one for £5.00 each and its locally sourced for here, well Hampshire but not far.

I think the best ribeye steak I’ve found by a country mile is the 36 day dry aged (I’m pretty sure Scottish) found in Aldi or Lidl - the Lidl one us 20 or 25 grams heavier.  Delicious!  

• Like 3

IMG-20230416-WA0017.thumb.jpg.b3c476660e75ae24fc8c14156ca09b30.jpg

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

😱

Great tasty food in and fabulous location but smaller portions and less veg than in P and O MDR

We spend a lot going out for meals and short breaks and theatre etc when not on holidays

Hence why I do inside savers when we cruise!!

Attached are 2 main courses we had. 

• Like 1