Pickleball on Oceania Ships

GarthK

Has anyone played pickleball on Oceania Marina. We'll be on the Norway fjords cruise in July 2023 and are wondering if we should bring paddles. Or does the ship provide paddles and are they reasonable quality?

The court is on the top deck of the Marina between the putt putt course and the golf driving net. 

I did not see provided paddles or balls. Not saying they aren’t there, but didn’t see any. 

Even though partially shielded from the wind by the wind screen, it still seemed to have a significant effect on play. I seem to remember our cruise, in that region, to being very windy except when actually inside a fjord. 

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing!  I haven’t played in several years, having hurt both my knee and my back, but I was thinking of starting up and playing a little less…competitively? Aggressively?

Anyway, there is usually a big wooden box against the bulkhead with the equipment for golf and that other game where people push discs around on a hopscotch thing (I can’t remember the name, I’ve never played it).  So maybe there are paddles and balls in there?

OTOH, how much room would a pball paddle take in a suitcase?  I’m bringing mine!  Hopefully it remembers how to play.  I’m on the same cruise (July 23, Norway).  I wonder how many balls end up in the sea….

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wynterwynd said:

I was wondering the same thing!  I haven’t played in several years, having hurt both my knee and my back, but I was thinking of starting up and playing a little less…competitively? Aggressively?

Anyway, there is usually a big wooden box against the bulkhead with the equipment for golf and that other game where people push discs around on a hopscotch thing (I can’t remember the name, I’ve never played it).  So maybe there are paddles and balls in there?

OTOH, how much room would a pball paddle take in a suitcase?  I’m bringing mine!  Hopefully it remembers how to play.  I’m on the same cruise (July 23, Norway).  I wonder how many balls end up in the sea….

Fully enclosed by netting . Ball can’t get out. Just like golf area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, schmerl said:

On our recent cruise on the Riviera, they had Pickleball rackets and balls in the box with other equipment. 

Riviera had both pickleball and paddle tennis gear.  Can be windy, though.  I felt the net was a bit close and can impede play.

• Like 1

Oceania did have equipment but it's also a single court so equipment is there or people are using it. It's really hard to play when it's windy and it can be windy often. What i found wasn't the wiffleball/pickleball ball but something similar. Bring your racket if that's what you're used to using as what they had was different from what I use

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They placed this court in the wrong place.  Should have been in the back behind the funnel.  Not too bright.  When the ship is in motion the wind across the bow is much too strong.  Does not make it too much fun to play. 

• 2 months later...

We just returned from a cruise on Marina and was disappointed in the "pickleball" setup. It's actually a paddle ball (paddle tennis?) court. The same or similar size but the lines are different and the net seemed higher. The paddles are wood, larger and have holes and the balls are different. The court is solid. They have taped on what appeared to be pickleball lines. They had 2 pickleball paddles (and 1 or 2 balls) that were literally falling apart. Quite disappointing. The ship will undergo a major refit this fall so perhaps things will improve. Also it's only really usable when in port due to wind when moving. 

On Vista now. Surface is the plastic/rubber grating like mat/tiles. There are many “dead” spots where the trajectory of the bounce is greatly affected. Enough so that you can’t consistently anticipate your return. Lines painted/dyed (not taped) with the extended paddle tennis area in a lighter color. Net is definitely higher (feels like 2 - 3 inches). I don’t know if the court dimensions are proper. Net is close enough to sides of court to impede swing. Balls and pickeball paddles are provided - glad I didn’t pack our equipment. 

Since the court is outside on deck 16 forward the wind greatly affects playability. My wife and I have used the court many times, but we are not scoring or competing. But we have had some great laughs.