Special Meal Requests for Kids at Specialty Restaurants

Hello.

Hoping to tap into the knowledge base.

We are sailing on the Odyssey out of Rome in August and have purchased the unlimited dining plan, so plan to have dinner at one the restaurants every night.

Our youngest has been diagnosed with Autism and eats a very limited menu (chicken tenders or nuggets, fries, bacon, carrot cake and Jell-o).

I know theses are very common items on cruise ships, but has anyone had any experience requesting 'special' meals for their kids (or themselves) at specialty restaurants?

Thank you so very much!

Jeff

Do it in advance and they can accommodate if they have the food on the ship.  I’d probably request the accommodation the day of on the early side.  Just go to the restaurant and ask for the manager.  Maybe do it on day one for all of them too.No matter how you handle it, this should be easy for them to do. 

• Like 1

Based on sailing with my young niece who has several food allergies, RC is very accommodating. As suggested above, just reach out, the earlier the better.

My picky wife always gets a caesar salad from Chops when we eat at Giovanni's Table b/c there are literally no appetizers she will eat on the Giovanni's menu (but she loves the rest of her meal there). Never had a problem with this request on several different ships.

• Like 1

Just now, Billy Baltic said:

Good luck with this thread. There are a lot of people on CC from the Victorian era who believe children should be out of sight and earshot. 

Then they should pick another cruse line like Virgin.

• Like 2

On a recent Harmony cruise (before the new menu and restrictions came into place) we could ONLY have what was on the Child or Adult menu at Chops. Our mistake, for not looking prior to the dinner.  We assumed we could get a few items off the MDR child's menu at specialty.  No. 

You may need to bring a small platter from  WJ with you.   Chicken fingers/nuggets, fries and jello are available at WJ. Bacon, generally not at night and carrot cake on a limited basis.  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

16 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

On a recent Harmony cruise (before the new menu and restrictions came into place) we could ONLY have what was on the Child or Adult menu at Chops. Our mistake, for not looking prior to the dinner.  We assumed we could get a few items off the MDR child's menu at specialty.  No. 

You may need to bring a small platter from  WJ with you.   Chicken fingers/nuggets, fries and jello are available at WJ. Bacon, generally not at night and carrot cake on a limited basis.  

M

Ask ahead of time and they can do a lot. On the spot they will be more limited.  Even still, I’m surprised.  We’ve had things from other restaurants before and sometimes even unsolicited.  The server just heard us talking about liking something from the other restaurant and went and got it for us.   

6 hours ago, topnole said:

Ask ahead of time and they can do a lot. On the spot they will be more limited.  Even still, I’m surprised.  We’ve had things from other restaurants before and sometimes even unsolicited.  The server just heard us talking about liking something from the other restaurant and went and got it for us.   

Nope - at least not for us.   We asked when we made the reservation on the first day and the staff said there is a large and varied children's menu.  Our fault for not checking it out. 

Live and learn 

M

6 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Nope - at least not for us.   We asked when we made the reservation on the first day and the staff said there is a large and varied children's menu.  Our fault for not checking it out. 

Live and learn 

M

Wow.  That is very surprising.  Never had such a response and if requested early I most certainly would ask to speak to the manager of the specialty restaurant if I got that answer.  I can understand if someone asks at dinner, but to ask ahead of time and get that response.  Well, that is surprising to me.  

On 4/22/2023 at 2:35 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

Live and learn 

M

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience, it is definitively the response you would expect in a 'family centered' cruise.

I will make requests when I make reservations upon boarding and will also do so each day in the mid afternoon at each restaurant. Worse case scenario, I'll make a run to WJ's to bring a planet for our little one.

Again, thanks to all for their experiences, responses and advice.