Excursion Recommendations in Alaska for early September

marianma

I am sailing to Alaska on the Princess Royal Sept. 9th sailing.  I would very much like recommendations on shore excursions. 

1.  I definitely want to do the White Pass Rail excursion in Skagway.  I do not know whether to book the Rail and Bus Excursion (3 hours 45 minutes) or the Rail and Yukon Suspension Bridge (4 hours 45 minutes).   Any advice?

2.  I have been advised to take a helicopter tour.  In Skagway there is the Helicopter Glacier Discovery but I can not book that if I do the Train excursion.  In Juneau, I can book the Helicopter Icefield Excursion.  Is that excursion good? 

3.  I have also been advised to book the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan.  I am not sure I want to book that cruise so I am interested in other recommendations for shore excursions in Ketchikan.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

weather is always a factor.  I’ve been 3 times - May, May and September and I’ve been VERY fortunate but lots of days can be socked in rain. Early September should be fine and downright warm at times. The ships port right in the towns and there is exploring to be done by foot easily at each stop.  It’s really up to your preference as to how much you “splash out” for tours and what interests you. 

1. Skagway.  I do not know whether to book the Rail and Bus Excursion (3 hours 45 minutes) or the Rail and Yukon Suspension Bridge (4 hours 45 minutes).   Any advice?

I would suggest the rail excursion.  No need to add on bus trip as well.  We did White Pass railway this past September and it was amazing. There is also an extremely interesting museum in town.

we were late September and the shops were starting to wind down for the season 

2.  I have been advised to take a helicopter tour.  In Skagway there is the Helicopter Glacier Discovery but I can not book that if I do the Train excursion.  In Juneau, I can book the Helicopter Icefield Excursion.  Is that excursion good? 
I would choose the helicopter in Juneau. Although going out to see Mendenhall Glacier is another option. It’s certainly not as impressive as ones you will see in glacier bay but it’s very interesting 

3.  I have also been advised to book the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan.  I am not sure I want to book that cruise so I am interested in other recommendations for shore excursions in Ketchikan.

in Ketchikan it’s very cool to just do a town walking tour - we once did the Duck Boat tour and it was super interesting because the y

tour guide was a born and raised local 

• Like 1

There is a very good board here for Alaska under Ports of Call.  Be aware that if you want to do either of the train tours in Skagway that let you get off in the Yukon, you will need a passport.  If you only do the round trip train tour you do not need a passport.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

In early September the salmon are running so it’s a good time for bear watching if that interests you. There are trips to Neets Bay, Anan and other bear viewing areas out of Ketchikan. 

18 hours ago, marianma said:

I am sailing to Alaska on the Princess Royal Sept. 9th sailing.  I would very much like recommendations on shore excursions. 

1.  I definitely want to do the White Pass Rail excursion in Skagway.  I do not know whether to book the Rail and Bus Excursion (3 hours 45 minutes) or the Rail and Yukon Suspension Bridge (4 hours 45 minutes).   Any advice?

I find the suspension bridge a bit "meh" as it's a concrete bridge over the river although the view is nice.  I highly recommend taking the Lake Bennett train trip that ends in Carcross, especially in September with the fall colors.  I have seen both bear and moose on that trip as they are quite active that time of year.  You can walk to a portion of the Chilkoot trail at Lake Bennett.  

My least favorite is the train-only summit run.  You don't get to the top of the White Pass since it doesn't go into Canada so you miss the Tortured Valley and the glacial tarns.

• Like 1

My sincere thanks to all who are giving recommendations.  Since this is my first cruise to Alaska these suggestions and feedback are very important to me.  Thanks very much to Wolfie11 for the Lake Bennett train trip suggestion since I did consider that but then thought it may be too long.  Now I will probably book it.  I would just hope it does not rain all that day. 

I am taking all of the comments into consideration.   Some of the mentioned activities are brand new to me.

Thank you all so much.

On 4/22/2023 at 1:48 PM, wolfie11 said:

I find the suspension bridge a bit "meh" as it's a concrete bridge over the river although the view is nice.  I highly recommend taking the Lake Bennett train trip that ends in Carcross, especially in September with the fall colors.  I have seen both bear and moose on that trip as they are quite active that time of year.  You can walk to a portion of the Chilkoot trail at Lake Bennett.  

My least favorite is the train-only summit run.  You don't get to the top of the White Pass since it doesn't go into Canada so you miss the Tortured Valley and the glacial tarns.

the train-only summit run doesn't get to the top of the White Pass? I thought it list in the map said 20.4 mile White Pass Elevation 2,888 ft.

$255 price is steep, 

32 minutes ago, ecgz88 said:

the train-only summit run doesn't get to the top of the White Pass? I thought it list in the map said 20.4 mile White Pass Elevation 2,888 ft.

$255 price is steep, 

My bad.  They used to switch the engines on a flat area just before the summit.  They now have a loop on the Canadian side of the pass so they no longer have to switch the engines from the front to the back.  Lake Bennett is 67 miles compared to 20 miles and you get a lunch for the extra $110.

• Like 1