Laundry - Scenic and others

Kristelle

Newbie to cruising

I vaguely remember reading that Scenic offers one complimentary laundry service ( one bag)  per guest per trip but cant find that anywhere in my documentation so perhaps imagined it.

I assume underwear and light weight shirts you would do by hand in your bathroom and hang in there or in front of window to dry next day

pack a few pegs in your suitcase

but what about larger items - is there a laundry service and if so what sort of cost?

we are going on 14 day cruise with Scenic in September.

All Scenic cruisers get one bag = I think 1kg per cabin per cruise free I’m sure I’ve fitted in more and I bet they don’t weigh all of them, it’s referred to as the laundry concierge. Not all cabins but most get 2 items pressed per day. Yes hang in the bathroom but evidently it’s a huge no no to hang anywhere near your balcony and I can understand that. Ask your TA to get a laundry price list from Scenic. I’m waiting for a health/fitness one as I was told it was being updated.

• Like 1

thank you.

Yes  I guess rows of underwear hanging on balconies would look pretty tacky

We are on the lowest level of cabins with a balcony. Cabin grade C on Sapphire deck of Scenic Jade.

Do small things dry ok in the bathroom even though there is no window there?

9 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I vaguely remember reading that Scenic offers one complimentary laundry service ( one bag)  per guest per trip

All cruisers do, but it's one per cabin, not per person. It's a small bag, and weight is limited to 1kg.

It used to be more prominent but if you look at the website and select the cabin class I found this on Balcony Suite

• Complimentary laundry concierge

and this on Junior Balcony Suite

• Complimentary laundry concierge plus two pieces of pressed clothing daily

so check what's offered on the cabin class you have booked.

For an Aussie company, they are very class conscious with separate dining for those in the most expensive cabins and 5 levels of passengers based on how many trips one has taken with them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pontac said:

For an Aussie company, they are very class conscious with separate dining for those in the most expensive cabins and 5 levels of passengers based on how many trips one has taken with them.

Let's not go overboard.  Everybody gets one special dinner per cruise, and the top cabins get a second (different but not really better) one.  You make it sound like the Queens Grill on Cunard.  And most posters on Cruise Critic enjoy the loyalty benefits from various cruise lines.

I also get the feeling, based on your equating Scenic and Viking on price – that either Scenic is cheaper for Australians or Viking is more expensive.  Based on American prices and the details on the ships and excursions, Viking is a middle of the road company offering very good value pricing (but outrageous early deadline for final payment) whilst Scenic is a top line company with commensurate top line pricing.  Both offer similar value in terms of quality for price paid (IMHO).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Let's not go overboard.  Everybody gets one special dinner per cruise, and the top cabins get a second (different but not really better) one.  You make it sound like the Queens Grill on Cunard.  And most posters on Cruise Critic enjoy the loyalty benefits from various cruise lines

Overboard? Not I, just stating the facts.

The top cabins eat in a different place from general cruisers every night, i.e. they are in a different class.

Yes, the general cruisers get an invite to a 'special' dinner. Whether the meal is better than that generally served is a matter of taste. But in the main dining room diners have a choice of meals and a choice of wines, not so if one accepts the invitation. 

I'm not sure how I made 'it sound like Queens Grill on Cunard'. It's a place I've never been, so I can't comment.

As for pricing, in my report on my Bordeaux trip with Scenic I found that the price for the same number of nights cruising Bordeaux in August is just £4 more expensive than Viking. I rate them about the same, and each beats the other in some ways.

• Like 1

I think this effort just might be banned, I know I’ve only ever traveled with Scenic and I am now absolutely convinced you have never. I don’t know what cruise you were on but in the number of cruises I have been on with Scenic I have never seen any difference in how the passengers are treated if they choose to spend their hard earned cash on roomier cabins or on what we affectionately refer to as Aquarium class  you make your choice. Table de Rive is the only area not offered to all and that is clear for all to read about before they embark. Just because there are different colours of name badges does not mean anything apart from that some of us have spent a hell of a lot more than others with Scenic. I sincerely hope and actually don’t expect to come across you or someone as biased as you appear to be on my future cruises.

Oh just in case I’m banned happy cruising all.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 4

@Canal archive  Your experiences confirm my Scenic cruise last Spring. There is only one main dining room, and the two small areas used for the two different special dinners. 

In fact, we bonded early in the cruise with two other couples who were not in top cabins, and we ate every lunch and dinner with them except when each couple was invited to the special dinner.  [I eat breakfast alone, because I don’t want conversation until the coffee kicks in.  😉] There is no class system on Scenic. 

• Like 5

Back to laundry - so one  free bag between 2 of us per cruise. 

Can u get more done at a cost? 

And pressed means ironed?? So per day we can each have a shirt or such ironed for the evening or next day's wear. 

I understand that,unlike hotels, there won't be an iron to iron things ourselves. 

Edited by Kristelle
Spacing

There is a bag and a price sheet by garmet (2022). They do laundry every day from what I can tell. When in a cabin on Scenic that provides unlimited laundry we filled the bag every day during the cruise. The day before the special event (Scenic Enrich) we were told that laundry would be delayed due to demand. If you have something to get pressed for the special event then do it early.

As far as the "free" bag goes, it does have a weight listed in the brochure. My guess is they don't have a scale because they didn't have a by weight pricing listed in 2022. 

The shower did have a drying wire available, but just in the shower stall itself. 

IMO since the Scenic luggage was discontinued in favor of an on board credit, I will just do whatever laundry and not worry about the bill. For a 7 night cruise it should be easy enough to bring the right items to not need laundry anyway.

paul21 I forgot the new on board credit well done for remembering. 

Kristelle yes pressing = ironing and no not in your cabin apart from anything else no room especially for the ironing board. 

My crib sheet for how I mix and match my garments especially for the longer cruises is I think a work of art as my DH cannot understand it.

I am not sure that they weigh the laundry bag - as I was able to cram a *lot* of items in mine, and it weighed significantly more than 1 kg.  I did notice that the bag on our cruise in the fall or 2022 was smaller than on previous cruises - so perhaps they have made it even smaller for this year?

There is a price list in the closet with the laundry bag.  We tend to wash our "smalls" and hang them in the shower.  We also use the window ledge - as we travel Aquarium class and don't have a balcony. 

Fran

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Franski we should set up a competition is my kg heavier than yours! I’m sure those lovely crew members don’t weigh the bags but they can certainly sharpen up a shirt or two.

I would be happy to go head to head with you on that...  Have a few packing tricks up my sleeve!!  

Fran

11 hours ago, Ritabob said:

The € symbol stands for euro

thank you.

I thought it probably did, hence my wondering if that was a silly question.

you can tell I am a a newbie, not only to river cruising but to Europe travel at all 🤪

(have been to UK/Ireland 10 years ago but not mainland Europe)

But just checking.

Now i can use google calculator to convert to Australian dollars.

When we were on Senic Gem in 2019, we had been in Paris for 7 days prior to embarking so we had laundry. Our cabin category, deluxe balcony on the sapphire deck, did not include free pressing at the time. We are on a tulip time voyage next April and are in a junior balcony cabin and we do receive free pressing of 2 items per day.

I rolled our dirty clothes, undies, socks and all and stuffed that bag so full I wouldn’t have been surprised if it weighed 5 lbs. I never realized there was a weight limit 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️. It was a record breaking heat wave so we needed it done and I refuse to have my knickers hanging around the cabin. 

As for classes onboard…nonsense!  We ate dinner with couples in every category cabin over our 11 days. There is an invitation only dinner once per voyage but everyone onboard is invited. The diamond deck guest get priority reservations for date and table size. With my dietary restrictions we won’t do it again as it is a set menu. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Thank you.

they look dearer than the other list posted upthread - are these also in euro or in ??

Yes there does seem to be a disparity between Travelmarvel and Scenic.  Maybe Travelmarvel is cheaper as everyone pays for all laundry with no free laundry inclusions whereas a significant portion of Scenic passengers have a free component.  It would be interesting to see if APT have the same pricelist as Travelmarvel.  

Well I have a complaint Travelmarvel APT are yes less expensive than Scenic but and this  is huge they have the temerity to charge more for ladies wash and press than men’s what a cheek. Only travelling from the U.K. this is really no problem to us but I can see how it comes into the calculations for our overseas friends although Scenic now has €50 obc does mitigate this a little.