Luggage alowance 23 Kg for round cruise from Southampton?

oAlgo

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You could argue that a bottle of wine costing £10, plus the £20 corkage, would be better than any of the £30 wines on the P&O wine list.

That might be true of Cunard but not P&O, you can get nice wine for £30 

However a £30 bottle plus £20 corkage Will be far far better than a P&O £50 bottle

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

However a £30 bottle plus £20 corkage Will be far far better than a P&O £50 bottle

Does that mean I can't get my usual case of 6 bottles £16!?!😮

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Thanks - to be honest,  I've really only ever looked at the Olly Smith house wines. 

We have a lot of obc later this year,  so perhaps we will splash out. 

16 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The bottles we will take cost more than 30 pounds (usually around 50-60€ when bought).
All of them have aged 5 years or more more from when they were sold, and on P&O they don´t have older vintages, and if they do they would be much more expensive. Lots of complex wines are much better and don´t finish "rounding" all the tannins to get the perfect balance until 5 or 10 years after being sold.
I have a wine cellar in my house with around 750 bottles, some more than 50 years old (the very old ones can only be drunken at home).
All of the wines sold on board are big production wines, not comparable to some of the bottles we have that are bought from small family run wineries, with very small productions (maybe between 300 and 1000 bottles per year). These we really enjoy due to their unique qualities.

We also enjoy wines served on board, and they have very good prices compared to any other cruise line (one of the reasons we choose P&O), and we also enjoy trying wines from other regions and grape varieties that we don´t have that much at home (Spain). We´ll be going to the Glass House a few times, for sure. I just hope they don´t serve red wine by the glass at room temperature like last time we went.

As I said before, we´re wine snobs, lol

14 minutes ago, oAlgo said:

I have a wine cellar in my house with around 750 bottles, some more than 50 years old (the very old ones can only be drunken at home).

I bet any burglars have trouble leaving,assuming they want to!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oAlgo said:

The bottles we will take cost more than 30 pounds (usually around 50-60€ when bought).
All of them have aged 5 years or more more from when they were sold, and on P&O they don´t have older vintages, and if they do they would be much more expensive. Lots of complex wines are much better and don´t finish "rounding" all the tannins to get the perfect balance until 5 or 10 years after being sold.
All of the wines sold on board are big production wines, not comparable to some of the bottles we have that are bought from small family run wineries, with very small productions (maybe between 300 and 1000 bottles per year). These we really enjoy due to their unique qualities.

We also enjoy wines served on board, and they have very good prices compared to any other cruise line (one of the reasons we choose P&O), and we also enjoy trying wines from other regions and grape varieties that we don´t have that much at home (Spain). We´ll be going to the Glass House a few times, for sure. I just hope they don´t serve red wine by the glass at room temperature like last time we went.

As an expert, any advice on the correct temperature to serve a nice Blue Nun. I asked my Son, who is a MW. He said " sorry Dad ", we didn't cover that one.

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As an expert, any advice on the correct temperature to serve a nice Blue Nun. I asked my Son, who is a MW. He said " sorry Dad ", we didn't cover that one.

Is that a Riesling? If so, at around 45 or 50 Fahrenhiet, or slightly lower if you´re having the whole bottle and then you can appreciate the difference of aromas when it starts getting warmer.

6 minutes ago, oAlgo said:

Is that a Riesling? If so, at around 45 or 50 Fahrenhiet, or slightly lower if you´re having the whole bottle and then you can appreciate the difference of aromas when it starts getting warmer.

Sorry, don't know what concentrate it comes from, but it smells a bit like antifreeze. Some of my Margaux's are getting a bit old, so a small dose of a sparkling Blue Nun livens them up a bit.

• Haha 3

Got a couple of questions more:
On our last Canary cruise, there was a laundry offer on the second last night, that was fill the whole laundry bag and they washed and ironed everything for a flat rate. Does anybody know how much this is and if they would do it at the end of the first cruise of a back to back cruise?
Also wondering about how many hangers are available in the wardrobe?
Never done a cruise longer than 10 days or so, and this one will be 21 days and will need to use more hangers than normal and not sure whether to take a few more with us or not.

If you don't have enough hangers then ask your cabin steward for some more - they all have a "secret" stash of them.

As for laundry that is an unknown - it seems to vary by ship and is unpredictable as to when any offer is on. I have tried asking in the past and either nobody knows or they are unwilling/unable to say.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, david63 said:

If you don't have enough hangers then ask your cabin steward for some more - they all have a "secret" stash of them.

As for laundry that is an unknown - it seems to vary by ship and is unpredictable as to when any offer is on. I have tried asking in the past and either nobody knows or they are unwilling/unable to say.

Thanks David, I´ll ask for more hangers if needed and try and keep my clothes clean 🙂

On 4/27/2023 at 2:21 PM, oAlgo said:

The trouble about taking more cases is that we fly from Spain (where we live), and we have one piece of luggage + hand luggage allowed for our flight.
I´ll try and keep it the lowest weight possible then

About carrying it on myself, I wouldn´t mind that, maybe not 30kg, but could move 25 with no problem at all.

Thanks for all the answers.
Really looking forward to the cruise!!!

Can you just pack a fold up bag into your luggage and move 5kg into the bag once you get off the plane?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, windra06 said:

Can you just pack a fold up bag into your luggage and move 5kg into the bag once you get off the plane?

Good idea, I can take the extra weight from both suitcases in one bag. 
Don´t know why I didn´t think of this in the first place
Thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oAlgo said:

Good idea, I can take the extra weight from both suitcases in one bag. 
Don´t know why I didn´t think of this in the first place
Thanks!

I only mentioned it because I have just bought myself a 'Foldie' bag, but for the reverse reason...so i can bring more back than i take on board if i want 😄