Boarding time question

mvh

I don't sail for a while and it's been a few years (pre Covid) since I have sailed MSC. Do they send me a specific boarding time or do I request it at a certain point? If so, how strict are they about being there before your scheduled time? We will need to check out of the hotel by 11:00 and would like to head over by then. Also, do they give us the same time as our linked cabins?

I have an upcoming cruise on Seascape from PortMiami.  This is my first cruise with MSC.  Therefore, I'm not familiar with their boarding practices.  I noticed that my cruise documents state that check-in time is 15:00.  I've never received a boarding time so late before.  Will I have to wait to board the ship until 3:00 PM?  I was planning to arrive at the port by 10:00 AM or so and board shortly thereafter as I've done on all of my previous cruises with other lines.  Will this be possible on MSC?

44 minutes ago, captainkurt said:

I noticed that my cruise documents state that check-in time is 15:00.  I've never received a boarding time so late before.  Will I have to wait to board the ship until 3:00 PM?  I was planning to arrive at the port by 10:00 AM or so and board shortly thereafter as I've done on all of my previous cruises with other lines.  Will this be possible on MSC?

You can arrive and check-in as early as you have planned but you probably won't board until after 11am. You will board way before 3pm if you arrive early. It is unlikely that anyone will pay attention to your assigned time. 

People with priority boarding (Yacht Club, B2B, Voyagers Club Diamond, etc.) will board early then once general boarding begins, those who have checked-in earlier will board before those who have checked-in later.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Two Wheels Only!  Check-in as you describe above will certainly work for us!  Hey, since you're also in FL, perhaps you can answer another question I have regarding the Embarkation Form.  Although I typed and saved our complete address on the MSC website, I noticed that our state (FL) is not included on the Embarkation Form?  Is that normal?  Everything else (street address, city, zip code, etc) is listed on the form.  Thanks again for your feedback!

28 minutes ago, captainkurt said:

Although I typed and saved our complete address on the MSC website, I noticed that our state (FL) is not included on the Embarkation Form?  Is that normal?  Everything else (street address, city, zip code, etc) is listed on the form.  Thanks again for your feedback!

Mine are the same. It has never been a problem. 

16 hours ago, captainkurt said:

I have an upcoming cruise on Seascape from PortMiami.  This is my first cruise with MSC.  Therefore, I'm not familiar with their boarding practices.  I noticed that my cruise documents state that check-in time is 15:00.  I've never received a boarding time so late before.  Will I have to wait to board the ship until 3:00 PM?  I was planning to arrive at the port by 10:00 AM or so and board shortly thereafter as I've done on all of my previous cruises with other lines.  Will this be possible on MSC?

Just imagine your Dr's office opens at 8 AM and EVERYONE from the entire daya appointments  shows up at 8 AM-it's chaos... Same holds true here-they just didn't schedule a certain time for giggles....

Yes other people show up early-some are denied and told to go outside and wait, others are permitted to go up to the holding room and wait for your group number to be called... If you have to show up early try around 1 pm when most of the crowd that truly were scheduled at the earlier boarding time has processed.... 

7 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

You will board with Diamond members after Special Assistance guests. There should be a dedicated Aurea/Diamond checkin line as well. Ask, once you get through security.

My father in law has a scooter can we board with my in laws?

8 minutes ago, Robinnnnn said:

I’ve never personally seen parties broken up. I trust this will not start another series of posts about abusing ‘privileges.’  You shouldn’t have a problem, particularly if you check in as a group. Depending on the terminal setup the Special Assistance checkin may be located away from the Aurea/Diamond checkin.

Edited by kelleherdl

11 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I have been on four MSC cruises post-covid and they beginning the assignment of boarding times. No one has ever asked to see my boarding time. You just get there when you get there and get in the queue.

Thanks, that is the plan.

16 hours ago, Robinnnnn said:

Have they filled out the special needs at sea form? If not, please do that for them as it asks about wheelchair assistance and mention you need to help them settle....

14 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I have been on four MSC cruises post-covid and they beginning the assignment of boarding times. No one has ever asked to see my boarding time. You just get there when you get there and get in the queue.

IMAGINE you go to the Drs office and all of the patients scheduled throughout the day show up and demand they be seen now-its pure chaos.... MSC didn't schedule you without reason-there is a reason for their madness and I hop they start enforcing embarkation times.... The line queues would not be so bad if everyone just showed up at the scheduled EMBARKATION TIMES!!!!

Edited by mmbcater
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, mmbcater said:

IMAGINE you go to the Drs office and all of the patients scheduled throughout the day show up and demand they be seen now-its pure chaos.... MSC didn't schedule you without reason-there is a reason for their madness and I hop they start enforcing embarkation times.... The line queues would not be so bad if everyone just showed up at the scheduled EMBARKATION TIMES!!!!

Sorry but that's not even close to the same thing. If my long ago booked flight arrives into Miami at 10AM and I get to the port at 11:30AM, I'm checking-in even if MSC randomly assigned me 2PM. I'm not standing around waiting, especially when no one is asking for my assigned time. Also, I've had situations where MSC had to email docs to me three times and I had three different assigned times! This question comes up numerous times and my answer is always the same: get there when you get there and ignore the assigned time because NO ONE IS LOOKING AT IT AND NO ONE CARES.  

1 minute ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Sorry but that's not even close to the same thing. If my long ago booked flight arrives into Miami at 10AM and I get to the port at 11:30AM, I'm checking-in even if MSC randomly assigned me 2PM. I'm not standing around waiting, especially when no one is asking for my assigned time. Also, I've had situations where MSC had to email docs to me three times and I had three different assigned times! This question comes up numerous times and my answer is always the same: get there when you get there and ignore the assigned time because NO ONE IS LOOKING AT IT AND NO ONE CARES.  

Agreed. I would be fine if they let you pick your boarding time when you book, which it sounds like they pick it for you. It's ridiculous to think people are not going to want to board as early as possible and take advantage of the first day. Cruise lines have been loading 5,000 passengers without times for years. There is more than one Doctor at this office.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Advertised 3p Sail, 1:30p auto assigned time to check in, and then in the same document you are expected to be on board two hours before sailing. So I am supposed to arrive 30 minutes after I'm supposed to be checked in so reading their rules I won't be allowed to check in arriving at their assigned time which is past the 2 hour before sail time?

No wonder people go early.

On 5/3/2023 at 2:29 PM, Brighton Line said:

Advertised 3p Sail, 1:30p auto assigned time to check in, and then in the same document you are expected to be on board two hours before sailing. So I am supposed to arrive 30 minutes after I'm supposed to be checked in so reading their rules I won't be allowed to check in arriving at their assigned time which is past the 2 hour before sail time?

No wonder people go early.

FYI this is a computer glitch. Called MSC and they said that. You can't arrive at 1:30 and expect to get checked in and board for a 3pm departure. It is not allowed. All passengers must be onboard by 2pm. That is why people just go and show up. We have the 1:30 arrival also and will get there way before that time for sure!