Cabin service access for stewards

davecttr

I can't remember the old procedures but this is what my steward on Arvia told me.

they will only service your cabin if you put the gone exploring sticker on the door. forget to do it and no service that day. He said they are not even allowed to knock and say 'room service' anymore. I remember them doing that and coming back later and if still no reply they would open the door a fraction and repeat the call. If no answer they would enter.

If this is the new procedure it is a health and safety issue for solo cruisers. What if you are ill and can't respond? Do you lie there for days suffering or do they open the door if you are dead and decomposing?

BTW this is a serious question

• Like 1

Sounds like a yarn. Get it done.......if they wants a tip at the end.

Recently did TA on Arvia and the only times ours wasn't clean was when we said we didn't want it doing.

If we didn't put the gone roaming, he did the room anyway

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I can't remember the old procedures but this is what my steward on Arvia told me.

they will only service your cabin if you put the gone exploring sticker on the door. forget to do it and no service that day. He said they are not even allowed to knock and say 'room service' anymore. I remember them doing that and coming back later and if still no reply they would open the door a fraction and repeat the call. If no answer they would enter.

If this is the new procedure it is a health and safety issue for solo cruisers. What if you are ill and can't respond? Do you lie there for days suffering or do they open the door if you are dead and decomposing?

We were on this cruise too and our cabin steward explained the same procedure.

This is a critical issue to me.  I stayed in a Best Western Hotel last year with the same policy. Unfortunately I had a fall in the bath where I was quite badly hurt, it took 40 minutes to get out with very hot water running and my feet and legs were burnt as a result.

Yes a freak accident but BWH have subsequently acknowledged the policy is flawed and have instituted a singles policy of one call a day to check on wellbeing.  P&O should at least institute this as of I hadn't been able to get out of the bath I would have lain there forc48 hours until my check out.  Single travellers need monitoring, P&O need to step up here.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

I am a solo traveller and the last thing I want on holiday is monitoring by crew! Maybe take a friend/carer with you to do this? 

Not needed for me but accidents can happen and it appears any safeguard for solo cruisers has been removed, probably for 'operational reasons' saving money. I wonder how they will handle the adverse press coverage when the inevitable incident occurs.

We were on AZURA for 28 nights and our cabin steward was delighted that she had one cabin that wasn’t leaving after 7nights As most if you know it’s a Friday and Saturday turn around in the Canaries .We we’re very kind to her and said just leave the cabin on turn around days ,she was pleased and relieved .

Sadly the next port day after turnaround we forgot to put the make up sign out .Her reply was it’s your fault  no sign out no clean .!!!! .

I think solo passengers have a valid point here maybe install panic buttons somewhere in cabin .?

thinking this through.  Accidents or illnesses could happen to anyone.  So say, you suffer a heart attack at 8 pm in your cabin.  Nobody is going to find you until the following morning where you might be dead.  there are all sorts of scenarios.  P&O can't be there 24/7

• Like 2

If cabins/rooms are cleaned every day I have no worries. However when I was injured and trapped in the bath when the hotel only cleans the room every three days then you realise just how vulnerable you are.  

Each to his own however wherever I stay alone now I ask for contact at least once a day.

33 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

However when I was injured and trapped in the bath when the hotel only cleans the room every three days then you realise just how vulnerable you are.  

perhaps have a word with the cabin steward and ask not to matter if the sign is out or not to call in and check you are OK, just to be on the safe side if you are on your own.

Edited by solentsam
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, davecttr said:

When we were on Azura earlier this year our steward told us that he was required to have access to our cabin or at least see us every two days.  As you say, could be well on the way to decomposing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

When we were on Azura earlier this year our steward told us that he was required to have access to our cabin or at least see us every two days.  As you say, could be well on the way to decomposing.

All sorts of strange smells on Azura.....makes you wonder 🤔

• Haha 2