Best way for group to communicate on board?

toyotamom

I'm sure this is something I should know but don't.  We will have a group of 44 on the Bliss in July celebrating my son's 40th birthdays.  They ask me last night how they could communicate with the whole group at once while we were on the boat.  So basically I think they are wanting to know the way to set up a group chat.  Any help would be appreciated so I don't look to technically challenged.

If you all have iPhones - the iMessage protocol will likely be functional through the ship's WiFi, even without internet plans, so you could message just as you would a group message on land.  My Android phone was also able to receive text messages on the Escape in March, even without being online on internet (I was connected to ship's WiFi, just not logged in for internet access outside the ship)

You could just plan meeting locations and times. 

The in-app messaging in the NCL app is $10 per device, but if you have couples that will be together only one of their devices needs it.

Here are a couple recent previous threads on the topic - 

I was able to text other Android users while on the Jewyl but not iPhone users, without connecting to WiFi. I only noticed this after purchasing the chat feature on the app so that may have been a factor. I hear whatsap is another option, but I don't have experience with that app.

I've bought the chat feature twice and it really stinks.  We all have iPhones and used the iMessage feature when connected to the ships Wifi with no issue.  I have also heard that the WhatsAp works but cannot comment on that.

May 2022 on the Breakaway, texting only worked I-phone to I-phone on the ship but I was able to text with my I-phone back home and receive responses from Android phones.  The Android user in our group was unable to send or receive texts. We all had unlimited Wifi with streaming and stayed signed on the whole time.

Wifi calling worked great on my I-phone but I have no clue if it worked on Android since no one attempted to make calls on their phones except me to check on things at home.

For my next cruise on the Escape in September I plan to try to use WhatsApp since it is only my husband and I and he uses an Android phone.  He is technologically challenged but WhatsApp looks pretty simple to use so I am hoping it works.  

It 2019 I purchased the NCL app and it was in my opinion not easy to know when you had a message or call coming through.  For us, it was not worth the $9.95 we paid.

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Best way to stay in touch...  Stay together! 🙂

There are 44 of us ranging in age from 1 year 9 months to 90 years 8 months.  Keeping this group together would not be a vacation - it would be a challenge I don't want to undertake.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, toyotamom said:

There are 44 of us ranging in age from 1 year 9 months to 90 years 8 months.  Keeping this group together would not be a vacation - it would be a challenge I don't want to undertake.

OK so you want the 2nd best way to stay in touch...  🙂

Edited by MoCruiseFan
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Rather than paying ten dollars per person for the NCL chat, and the fact that some may have iPhone while others have Android, Facebook messenger works great on the ship... 

I wouldn't join facebook.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:12 PM, sid_9169 said:

Rather than paying ten dollars per person for the NCL chat, and the fact that some may have iPhone while others have Android, Facebook messenger works great on the ship... 

I do not and will not support Mark Suckingturds in any manner.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1