Live from Sky Princess 6 May

Eglesbrech

Just now, Ranchi said:

We are booked on Sky Princess later this summer. It’s our first trip on Princess. I was thinking of taking a light-weight, dark blue suit instead of a DJ for formal nights and if I fancy a jacket to wear with chinos for informal the the suit jacket would do. Would that seem reasonable? I guess I’m asking would it look out of place?

We’re on the Sky next month and my husband is taking his tux. I think a suit is fine too.

I don’t understand why but cruises from the UK tend to be dressier, we certainly found that on the Sky last year.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ranchi said:

We are booked on Sky Princess later this summer. It’s our first trip on Princess. I was thinking of taking a light-weight, dark blue suit instead of a DJ for formal nights and if I fancy a jacket to wear with chinos for informal the the suit jacket would do. Would that seem reasonable? I guess I’m asking would it look out of place?

We ave found that it is much easier to bring fancy dress up clothes when you do not have to fly a long distance to the ship. Luggage is limited, especially when it is a cooler itinerary.

31 minutes ago, nini said:

it is much easier to bring fancy dress up clothes

Not aware that there are any "fancy dress" nights on Princess cruises so really no need to bring them which means that you can save the space and pack some formal wear.

3 hours ago, david63 said:

Not aware that there are any "fancy dress" nights on Princess cruises so really no need to bring them which means that you can save the space and pack some formal wear.

What is "fancy dress" in the UK is "masquerade" in the US.

On 5/27/2023 at 12:53 PM, Scarey92 said:

If its a busy ship then half 5!!

Half 5? Only Americans who watch Downton Abbey or Midsomer Murders know what that means 😄 Three bells is a good time 😏

We liked Cielo, it seemed quieter.

9 hours ago, david63 said:

"Fancy dress" is another term for formal. Tuxes take up a lot of space.

On 5/11/2023 at 10:15 AM, Eglesbrech said:

Ordering snacks or drinks etc. Sometimes they come. Other times it goes through order/ preparation/ delivery but never actually comes. Acknowledged by management as an issue, it crashes from time to time.

Yep, had this happen on Royal a few weeks ago and the delivery staff said the same. First order at noon said delivered but never arrived. Reordered at 2pm, still being processed at 4pm. Gave up and went to Alfredos for pizza. Second order was delivered to Alfredos at 4:15pm! Explained our experience to the delivery staff. They sent us Chocolate Covered Strawberries later that night as an apology, which was a nice gesture. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nini said:

I do not care what anyone calls it, the point is that they take up luggage space. 

I understand that you do not want to wear formal attire so the question is "why go on a cruise line where that is the attire"?

And before you come back with "it is optional. it is suggested, etc." nowhere does it actually state that. On the daily event list it clearly states "Tonight's Attire: Formal"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

I do not care what anyone calls it, the point is that they take up luggage space. 

You have a point. A UK cruiser might not have room for his fancy dress outfit if he’s going as a Viking with that huge shield and a helmet with those fake horns. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, david63 said:

I understand that you do not want to wear formal attire so the question is "why go on a cruise line where that is the attire"?

And before you come back with "it is optional. it is suggested, etc." nowhere does it actually state that. On the daily event list it clearly states "Tonight's Attire: Formal"

Point taken. But even on a formal night there is no requirement to go to the MDR.  The buffet, speciality dining, room service, all can be enjoyed without a tux.  Cruisers who object to dressing up can still enjoy a cruise. 

1 hour ago, david63 said:

I understand that you do not want to wear formal attire so the question is "why go on a cruise line where that is the attire"? And before you come back with "it is optional. it is suggested, etc." nowhere does it actually state that. On the daily event list it clearly states "Tonight's Attire: Formal"

That is NOT the attire on a Princess cruise. On Formal Nights you have many options besides the MDR, unlike the QM2 where you have deck restrictions. Also a tux is not required.

Princess official policy is "Formal dinner nights call for cocktail dresses or gowns for women and tuxedos or suits for men."

What the heck does "call for mean"? I know it isn't "required" because I haven't seen anyone turned away from the MDR for not wearing a tux or suit. I stopped wearing a tie in 2018 (mostly) and never felt under dressed or asked to put on a tie (which I do pack).

The fact of life is places are getting more casual all the time not just cruise lines but land based restaurants too.

14 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Point taken. But even on a formal night there is no requirement to go to the MDR.  The buffet, speciality dining, room service, all can be enjoyed without a tux.  Cruisers who object to dressing up can still enjoy a cruise. 

And as said, "formal" doesn't mean tux on Princess, suits are considered formal too.

48 minutes ago, Kay S said:

You have a point. A UK cruiser might not have room for his fancy dress outfit if he’s going as a Viking with that huge shield and a helmet with those fake horns. 

I am afraid that I am going to leave ours at home this time.