New to Norwegian. Question about Cruise First and Cruise Next please?

I have never sailed on Norwegian before, but they have an itinerary I am really interested in booking for 2025 or 2026.  I have to plan everything out and save up ahead of time because I'm not rich lol.  

So, I plan to get a Norwegian credit card about a year or so before the cruise and use it to pay for the cruise, airfare, excursions etc and all my bills so I can rack the points up.  I'll likely set it as my on-board payment when I cruise so I can get those 3X points and pay it off afterwards using my points for a statement credit. So that part I think I have figured out.  I'm not that interested in balconies or Haven etc. I won't be doing anything in my room but sleeping so it's not a biggie for me.

So, I see this cruise first offer, ok 150 for 300 to use on a cruise that's more than 6 days. Check, the one I want is 12 days.  It says you can buy up to 10 but can only use one on your cruise?  Say you buy 10 what do you use the other 9 for?  Future cruises?  I'm a bit afraid of commitment lol, I've cruised Carnival in the past and am traveling via Carnival to Alaska next year who knows where I might land up next.  So just wondering why peeps might get 10?

Then I see the cruise next program, ok that's cool, you purchase that while on your cruise to go towards another cruise later on. Ok so you can buy four of those 250 and get 500 OBC you can use on the cruise your already on and then 1000 goes to your next cruise's payment? Am I understanding that correctly? But then it says you can only use one Cruise next on your next cruise?  If I buy 4 what about the other 3?  Maybe I'm just dense but I don't think I'm understanding it correctly?

Please don't flame the newbie lol I am just not understanding this correctly.  Thank you for any enlightenment!

They sometimes have a DoubleUp! promo that allows you to apply two CNs to a single cruise.  Also, the CruiseFirst terms have more restrictive language regarding applying them to an existing reservation.  I believe that most/all of us would prefer to use CNs, but they can only be purchased while on board the ship.  Actually, a rep told me recently that I could still buy more within 30 days after disembarkation, but I have never heard of that before and haven't tried it.  Anybody?

the biggest difference between the two is if you cancel/re-book with a CF cert, you lose the extra value of the cert.  And since you're looking at cruises that are so far out, if you do decide to buy a cruisefirst cert, wait until they offer the $250/$500 certs vs the standard 150/300.  they offer those every few months

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

the biggest difference between the two is if you cancel/re-book with a CF cert, you lose the extra value of the cert.

That's interesting.  I looked at the terms on NCL website and I can't find anything about what happens if you cancel the cruise that you applied a CF towards.

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

That's interesting.  I looked at the terms on NCL website and I can't find anything about what happens if you cancel the cruise that you applied a CF towards.

yeah, it's pretty hidden.  What I don't know is if you can still call in and get a cruise re-priced if the price drops, without actually cancelling and re-booking:

image.png.7c4c87d31813a8bd9b1444c3fb271848.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

yeah, it's pretty hidden.  What I don't know is if you can still call in and get a cruise re-priced if the price drops, without actually cancelling and re-booking:

Thanks.  I've read that (several times) but understood it to mean something totally different (I really don't know what it means).  I thought that meant that I simply could not use a CruiseFirst on an existing reservation, even if I tried to "cheat" by cancelling it and rebooking it.  Who knows? 🤣  You may be right.  It may be saying that if I spend $150 on a $300 CF, and try to use it on a cheater-rebook, that the NCL cheater police will swoop through and reduce my credit from $300 to $150, which is silly because my deposit is required to be $250 and that would require NCL to just call the whole thing off.  Do they really want to do that?  We need a Guinee Pig!! (it won't be me)

Thanks.  I've read that (several times) but understood it to mean something totally different (I really don't know what it means).  I thought that meant that I simply could not use a CruiseFirst on an existing reservation, even if I tried to "cheat" by cancelling it and rebooking it.  Who knows? 🤣  You may be right.  It may be saying that if I spend $150 on a $300 CF, and try to use it on a cheater-rebook, that the NCL cheater police will swoop through and reduce my credit from $300 to $150, which is silly because my deposit is required to be $250 and that would require NCL to just call the whole thing off.  Do they really want to do that?  We need a Guinee Pig!! (it won't be me)

WOW.  It totally could be read the way you described it.  Either way, it's an important rule to know.  Honestly, it makes more sense for it be enforced the way you described, to keep people from cheating as you say.

12 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

WOW.  It totally could be read the way you described it.  Either way, it's an important rule to know.  Honestly, it makes more sense for it be enforced the way you described, to keep people from cheating as you say.

Yep.  Except, I don't recall any reports of even that being "enforced."  It's NCL.  We just do what works and share it with our friends here. 😎

• Like 1

Dang, you really need to read the fine print with this stuff!

So it seems I can only use one Cruise First to apply to the cruise I will be booking:

1. Limit one CruiseFirst certificate that may be used per reservation. No black-out dates will apply. Reservations are subject to availability. CruiseFirst certificates are not combinable with CruiseNext, chartered sailings, incentive cruises, barter cruises, employee discounts, friends and family, Sailaway (categories: IX, OX, BX, MX), interline or travel partner rates, Bingo Winners, or Diamonds Resort International bookings.

Then when I'm on that cruise I can purchase the Cruise next but I'm limited to only using 1 or two if it's a double up and a balcony room or better.. And I'll have to cruise again within 4 years to use it. 

1. Limit of one (1) CND may be used per stateroom. You may apply two (2) CNDs to one (1) stateroom only when booking a cruise that qualifies for the DoubleUp! promotion. DoubleUp! promotion eligibility is based on redemption date and not on CND purchase date. DoubleUp! promotions may be subject to change and are subject to availablitly. Visit www.ncl.com/cruisenext for offer details when you are ready to book your next cruise.

1. All CNDs (including Haven option) are valid for new reservations that book and sail within 4 years from purchase date. CNDs become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of your CND(s). Not applicable towards existing reservations.

So much to learn!

• Like 1

Regarding cruisenext, don’t get confused by the wording regarding on board credit. That OBC gets used against the cost of the voucher, so it is basically half price.

ie, buy two $250 vouchers and you will be charged $500 but then the discount gets applied to your account, meaning you only pay $250.

You don’t need to find things to spend the credit on.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Regarding cruisenext, don’t get confused by the wording regarding on board credit. That OBC gets used against the cost of the voucher, so it is basically half price.

ie, buy two $250 vouchers and you will be charged $500 but then the discount gets applied to your account, meaning you only pay $250.

Ahhh! Ok! I wondered about that!

3 hours ago, Stowaway LFC said:

Limit of one (1) CND may be used per stateroom. You may apply two (2) CNDs to one (1) stateroom only when booking a cruise that qualifies for the DoubleUp! promotion. DoubleUp! promotion eligibility is based on redemption date and not on CND purchase date. DoubleUp! promotions may be subject to change and are subject to availablitly. Visit www.ncl.com/cruisenext for offer details when you are ready to book your next cruise.

I usually book a studio cabin so generally can only ever use 1 cruise next credit but occasionally the kind folks on this forum post notifications about double Up or very very rarely Triple Up promos that then allow you to add another credit to an existing reservation that meets the criteria of that promo.

e.g. I booked my October 2023 cruise in January 2022, at that time I could only use 1 credit, but last month I was able to apply a second one to that reservation because of a double up promo specific to Alaskan cruises.

You can also find people selling cruise next credits on other websites, I gifted one to a friend for her first cruise as it was going to expire before I could use it thanks to the various covid cancellations after I originally purchased it. 

For the cruise next credits there are now 3 levels - light, regular and haven. In general you can always apply 2 credits for a sailing with a balcony cabin at least 4 months out.  I haven't looked at the cruise next light credits at all as they weren't offered on my last sailing so I'm not sure what t&cs apply to those. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Yes you can, I emailed my PCC 2 weeks ago about that. If I ask for a price adjustement BEFORE 120 days from sailing I will get the lower price and keep the $250 "bonus" NCL added to my $250. It is not treated as a cancel and rebook BEFORE 120 days from sailing.

5 hours ago, Stowaway LFC said:

Then when I'm on that cruise I can purchase the Cruise next but I'm limited to only using 1 or two if it's a double up and a balcony room or better.. And I'll have to cruise again within 4 years to use it. 

Sometimes the DoubleUp applies to all cabin classes.  I bought my first two CNs on a cruise in January and immediately applied two of them to an inside cabin booking this summer.  I bought four more two weeks ago, but was only able to apply one to an inside cabin this fall.  I always try, regardless of what the NCL terms say, as we all know that NCL sometimes has some inconsistencies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

If it is the last night, maybe toward the end of the cruise, they will give you double the vouchers. That's how it worked for us. They tried to sell us on the OBC but we had the free at sea drink package, had prepaid the gratuities, and did not have any expenses charged to the room. It was the last night of the cruise and did not need OBC. So instead they sold us 4 vouchers for $1000 and received 4 "free." What we liked is that they can be transferred to others. This was pre-covid in 2018 and I still have 6 left. Luckily they have extended the use-by date to 2025. 

8 minutes ago, lupster1 said:

If it is the last night, maybe toward the end of the cruise, they will give you double the vouchers. That's how it worked for us. They tried to sell us on the OBC but we had the free at sea drink package, had prepaid the gratuities, and did not have any expenses charged to the room. It was the last night of the cruise and did not need OBC. So instead they sold us 4 vouchers for $1000 and received 4 "free." What we liked is that they can be transferred to others. This was pre-covid in 2018 and I still have 6 left. Luckily they have extended the use-by date to 2025. 

No need to wait - you can get whatever terms you want anytime.  It's all the same, they just like to come up with creative ways to get you to think you are getting a better deal.  Bottom line, you pay $125 each (if you buy 2 or more) and you can buy up to 8.  There is never any OBC that needs to be used up, it always applies to the cost of the vouchers.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lupster1 said:

So instead they sold us 4 vouchers for $1000 and received 4 "free."

If you paid $1000, then you got the same deal you could have gotten on day one.  They just switched their marketing strategy because it was at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lupster1 said:

That is the deal everyone can get any day on the ship. I do hate that they pitch it as OBC because it’s actually a discount on the price. That sales pitch is designed to confuse folks and convince them they’ll have more money to spend on the ship but the “obc” is immediately eaten up by the purchase of the cruise next vouchers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lupster1 said:

Same thing, different wording.

I really hate that they do this play on words when selling the CN certs.  Yes, whether they offer OBC or double the certs, it's exactly the same thing. I guess they figure with the drinks flowing, they can get people 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I really hate that they do this play on words when selling the CN certs.  Yes, whether they offer OBC or double the certs, it's exactly the same thing. I guess they figure with the drinks flowing, they can get people 

Yep.  That why it is so nice that we can get coaching here on Cruise Critic before our cruises.  I just drop off my form and they say thanks.  Takes less than five minutes.  CN really is a great value for those of us who sail NCL a lot.  Just like the shareholder benefit.  I was a bit late to the game on both but, as the saying goes, better late than never.😎

• Like 1

Yep.  That why it is so nice that we can get coaching here on Cruise Critic before our cruises.  I just drop off my form and they say thanks.  Takes less than five minutes.  CN really is a great value for those of us who sail NCL a lot.  Just like the shareholder benefit.  I was a bit late to the game on both but, as the saying goes, better late than never.😎

yes, the best advice is to just drop off the form and walk away.  Unless you're in need of some snake oil :)

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2023 at 8:11 AM, KeithJenner said:

Thank you! We sail Sunday. Plan on buying cruise next vouchers. My brain however couldn’t compute our final balance considering stockholder and travel agent agent OBC, trying to keep track of what each can be used for. Pleasant twist- e-docs indicate service charges have somehow been pre-paid! Must have been additional promotion from TA she forgot to mention. 

38 minutes ago, CarrieAP said:

Thank you! We sail Sunday. Plan on buying cruise next vouchers. My brain however couldn’t compute our final balance considering stockholder and travel agent agent OBC, trying to keep track of what each can be used for. Pleasant twist- e-docs indicate service charges have somehow been pre-paid! Must have been additional promotion from TA she forgot to mention. 

There has been some confusion lately regarding what OBC can be used to purchase cruisenext (paying the 50% post discount). Recently the terms were changed to say:

Only refundable Onboard Credits and the Non-Refundable Onboard Credit given for purchasing CruieNext deposits may be used towards your CruiseNext purchase.”

It is therefore unlikely that your TA OBC can be used, as that is usually non refundable. I’m sure others here will be able to confirm whether the shareholder OBC is refundable or non refundable.

Edited by KeithJenner