Entertainment or not

PokkuJo

12 hours ago, PokkuJo said:

Thanks for your answers. I guess than in my mind, the cruise has been secondary ... 

Personally, we like cruising for the balance of activities:  Visiting multiple islands, entertainment and activities on the ship, etc.  And because it's easy:  book the cruise, and so many other decisions are made for you. 

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Spending a full day in port is much more likely for European ports than for ports in the Caribbean.

Yes, I was thinking only of Caribbean cruises.  

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sitting in my room watching TV is -- to me -- depressing on a vacation. 

I do spend some time vegging in the room watching TV ... mostly in the afternoons, as I discussed earlier.  After getting up early and doing something active all morning, once I've had lunch and showered, I like to have an hour (maybe two hours if I'm really tired) of down time in the cabin.  But I'd consider more than that "wasted time".  I can lounge around in front of better TV at home. 

I'll throw this out too:  We prefer to sail in the fall, which means football season.  My husband LOVES watching NFL games in Playmakers with a pitcher of beer ... but I wouldn't consider that plain old watching TV. That's an event. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

You certainly won't be "out of place".

We usually go to the early show in the theater each night, 7:00ish, but rarely go to any of the clubs, bars etc. We go back to our cabin and read, relax and we're in for the night.

It's your cruise, enjoy it in whatever way you choose. Cruising is a fantastic way to travel.

Edit to add, we cruise everywhere but the Caribbean. A cruise ship is far easier and more pleasant than an airplane!   

Edited by SPacificbound
added to content
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, I was thinking only of Caribbean cruises.  

I did figure that that was what you meant, but thought it was important to note that there was more to cruising than just the Caribbean.

On 5/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, lenquixote66 said:

We are up at 6 AM and do not go to bed till 2 AM.We enjoy getting the most out of every day on a cruise.

I've spent the last eight days bouncing between the US, Germany, Turkey, Brazil, and back to the US, and my jet lag is insane...and this post somehow made me more tired just thinking about it. 

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I've spent the last eight days bouncing between the US, Germany, Turkey, Brazil, and back to the US, and my jet lag is insane...and this post somehow made me more tired just thinking about it. 

That was your choice and presumably you derived enjoyment from the trip .

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That was your choice and presumably you derived enjoyment from the trip .

I'm a contractor, I go where they pay me to go. I enjoyed the paycheck and expense account, I suppose. 

53 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm a contractor, I go where they pay me to go. I enjoyed the paycheck and expense account, I suppose. 

You obviously enjoy your job otherwise you would not be doing ir aside from the paycheck and expense account ,correct ?

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

You obviously enjoy your job otherwise you would not be doing ir aside from the paycheck and expense account ,correct ?

Oh I love it. My original post was just really a joke about how I couldn't operate on that much sleep and it made me tired just thinking about it, that's all. 

• Like 1

We go to some of the shows in the main theatre. But I have to be honest and say I would happily avoid them all. Wife likes them, so I tag along.

I would prefer to be sat at an outside bar watching the sea, and relaxing, with a cold beer.

The shows just have no appeal to me, in the same way west end/broadway shows dont. 

I have been known to fall asleep during them, Les miserables being a prime example. Three hours felt like ten.

• Like 1

I agree that this is different strokes for different folks. I personally have alot of energy and like to schedule a full day. At home I have time in a day to - pack lunch and make breakfast, workout, work 8 hours, commute 35 minutes each way, do chores, have dinner, and still have some time left over to watch tv or read.

Typically a day on vacation is alot less busy than that. Unless we have a shore excursion that takes you far from the ship, we usually don't spend the "full day" in port- and if we do its only 1-2 ports. In the caribbean, most the excursions end up being similiar after awhile. May go to a beach or a snorkeling excursion but usually back by mid-afternoon. Gives us plenty of time to relax for a bit before dinner and a show. 

Any vacation that we choose, whether cruise or land based - we really enjoy going to live entertainment. Rarely get to enjoy that at home. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1