Toiletries

Jazzytelly

It is just me who is shocked from reading on the well known social media page that people are asking for the hand lotion and lots are saying they are taking it home with them. Their excuse is it can’t be used again for health and safety reasons. One person is even saying that they take the hand soap and shower gel etc for the same reason. Now I thought the reason for the big bottles and not the little ones we used to get was because they were reusable which meant less plastic waste.

1 minute ago, Jazzytelly said:

It is just me who is shocked from reading on the well known social media page that people are asking for the hand lotion and lots are saying they are taking it home with them. Their excuse is it can’t be used again for health and safety reasons. One person is even saying that they take the hand soap and shower gel etc for the same reason. Now I thought the reason for the big bottles and not the little ones we used to get was because they were reusable which meant less plastic waste.

The original plot was to reduce one use plastic containers, which is fair enough. I also think there is a cost element as the small bottles were very expensive so it makes sense to buy bulk and use refillable bottles as they have done with shower gel and shampoo for numerous years. When we had the small bottles we took the part bottle home as we use that brand at home. On long Caribbean cruises I use the body lotion as it slows down the peeling process. I do wish that P&O would just make up their minds whether they are supplying body lotion or not as it is very hit and miss whether they have any. On our last Arcadia cruise we started with small bottles then moved to refillables and never went short, however on return some people posted that it was not available, so either their stewards thought it wasn't or couldn't be bothered to get some.

Well perhaps the reason why it isn’t available some times is because people are taking the bottles home.  Again people spoiling things for others.

Perhaps if anyone is onboard at the moment they could ask their cabin steward what happens to the bottles after use, are they discarded or are they reused. 

1 minute ago, Fionboard said:

Only wall mounted pump bottles now. Same in most hotels nowadays. I have no problem taking my own conditioner and body lotion. 

Yes but they are saying they take the wall mounted ones as (they say) they aren’t used again. Also taking the big bottles of hand lotion that you can ask your Stewards for. 

Now I think the bottles are used again and they shouldn’t be taking them. Otherwise why do the Stewards often refill the bottles the day before the end of the cruise. They certainly don’t refill them so passengers can take full bottles home. To me it is the same as stealing the towels or all those lazy people that take the blue towels to the beach and just leave them there as they can’t be bothered to take wet or sandy towels back to the ship. 

• Like 1

It is the same thing as hotels - if it 'aint screwed down then it will be nicked!!

Simple solution - anything missing from the cabin gets charged to your account plus a £10 handling fee for each item.

Edited by david63
  • Like 5

During the pandemic hotels and presumably the cruise ships were forbidden from allowing new occupants to reuse items the previous occupiers had accessed.  As a consequence all items in a room were to be thrown away as the rooms were vacated.  This included tea, coffee and sugar and other individual wrapped items.  I'm still using up the vast quantities I accumulated over the last two years.

I'm guessing having gotten into the habit these people are carrying on and using the they'll be thrown away excuse in case they're caught.

Off topic from original post, but relevant to people stealing.  In her inaugural year Britannia had a great gin menu in the Crows nest.  The menu on each table was displayed in a nice Black G&T stand.  2 nights before the end of the cruise they weren’t there it was an A4 sheet, full menus on request but no stand.  I asked the server about it, he said too many get taken by passengers as a free souvenir! I was so shocked that people would do that.

Then at breakfast last year, one woman was eagerly telling all of us sat there, to keep an empty water bottle, and fill it up with the shower gel in your room to take home. 

I wonder how long the P&O contract with the White Company has to run?  I have fond memories of the Temple spa amenities they used to supply, then they moved to Molton Brown, I’m expecting it to be the kind of dispensers you find in a Premier Inn before too long, just so people don’t steal it. 

51 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Never seen hand lotion and body lotion has disappeared now. Can't believe people steal the pump bottles. Maybe on Iona and Arvia, etc, though! 

You can ask your Cabin Steward for the hand and body lotion , also hair conditioner and they bring the big pump bottles. It was also hand soap I said earlier was being taken. 

43 minutes ago, david63 said:

It is the same thing as hotels - if it 'aint screwed down then it will be nicked!!

Simple solution - anything missing from the cabin gets charged to your account plus a £10 handling fee for each item.

Exactly I agree . 

23 minutes ago, happy v said:

But the pump bottles in the bathroom are screwed in. Are they taking screwdrivers with them 

The Stewards must be able to refill without unscrewing surely, but I don’t know as never tried to remove.
It’s unbelievable that people are doing this and it’s probably the same people complaining about price increases.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, happy v said:

But the pump bottles in the bathroom are screwed in. Are they taking screwdrivers with them

The bottles can be removed by unscrewing the top and then the bottle can be removed from the holder.

33 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Off topic from original post, but relevant to people stealing.

A similar story. When Oriana was launched P&O in their infinite wisdom had an Oriana logo on all the bathroom towels. I was told that after the maiden voyage there were over 700 less towels onboard!

54 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

, I’m expecting it to be the kind of dispensers you find in a Premier Inn before too long, just so people don’t steal it. 

Was surprised to find the square dispensers replaced by bottles of Baylis on our last two visits to Premier Inn. 

50 minutes ago, david63 said:

The bottles can be removed by unscrewing the top and then the bottle can be removed from the holder.

A similar story. When Oriana was launched P&O in their infinite wisdom had an Oriana logo on all the bathroom towels. I was told that after the maiden voyage there were over 700 less towels onboard!

It’s ridiculous isn’t it, and that would have been when P&O wasn’t offering cruises to the masses! 

3 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Never seen hand lotion and body lotion has disappeared now. Can't believe people steal the pump bottles. Maybe on Iona and Arvia, etc, though! 

Are you suggesting that it"s only the folk on Iona and Arvia that wash.?🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fionboard said:

I read the same post and the sad thing is they didn’t think they were stealing they genuinely believed they were supposed to take them as they couldn’t be used again - they think. Like the people that complain when they get charged for the bath robes that they have ‘stolen’ from the cabins. I also think anything that is removed from the room should be charged for but unfortunately I would think this is  a very difficult thing to instigate. 

3 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

It’s ridiculous isn’t it, and that would have been when P&O wasn’t offering cruises to the masses! 

When I was a hotel manager many moons ago it was always the wealthy that had sticky fingers.  Many items would go missing from the suites, and the free soft drinks and snacks from the lounge would always get hammered.  I once saw somebody stuffing her large handbag with packets of crisps which has always baffled me because back then those bags of crisps retailed for around 70p so she couldnt have had more than £7 worth, bizzare behaviour when one was paying £400 a night for the room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, happy v said:

A small allen key is required to loosen the bracket. Of the set we always have with us, we didn't have one small enough. 🙄😉

• Haha 3

I messaged P & O about this and the reply was no the toiletries should not be taken from the cabin as they are reusable. Unfortunately I can’t find the original post on the site otherwise I would reply to it .