Noordam noise from public areas above deck 8 suites

robsaw

We are looking at booking a suite on the Noordam but concerned about possible noise from the public areas above the deck 8 suites.  Any experience?

Deck 9 Lido above has Lido Market, pools, bars and of course the associated chairs/loungers that could be strong noise generators.

Thanks

I spent 69 days on the Noordam in a Signature suite on deck 8.  To say that I got used to the noises from above would be a lie.  Early morning clatter of dishs/glasses, chairs being pulled out and in.  The evenings were just as bad with trolleys back and forth.  I tried to change suites but all was booked.  I just learned to live with it.  I put the tv on a little loader and the music station.  Never will go on that deck again.  

• Like 1

Always check the Lido deck plans, since not all Deck 8 cabins are impacted by chair scraping or trolly noise. This noise can be real, and is limited to more specific direct impact locations but do not take place on all across the Lido deck. See what is actually above the Deck 8  cabin and the activity hours when you might be impacted.  

And check out cabin reviews on Hal Facts - assuming that all Vista class ships will have similar activities on the deck above you.

We always try to get the deck below the Lido, for best access to both dining and outdoor actives. Occasionally, we are impacted by occasional noise, and other times not at all. The one thing we have never heard if passenger noise from the pool area.  But that is where you can get the chair scraping when they clean up the deck in late afternoon. Then that area is pretty quiet.

The crew stairwells and prep and tile floored buffet service areas on the Lido deck are most often reported as the high noise impact areas, so good to avoid those. Being near the elevators can be good bet since they are carpeted foyer areas  and the elevators are vey silent.

Now we also understand why they tie down all the deck chairs each late afternoon, just so they don't roll around during rough seas and high winds at night.

Bottomline: no need to avoid Deck 8 entirely, but it does pay to choose carefully. Because it is a great accessible deck to be on.

Thanks for the replies. We typically do choose carefully, however in this case it would be a "guarantee" stateroom due to the particular circumstances of the promo booking we have access to, so no means to be careful in choosing. 

4 hours ago, robsaw said:

We are looking at booking a suite on the Noordam but concerned about possible noise from the public areas above the deck 8 suites.  Any experience?

Deck 9 Lido above has Lido Market, pools, bars and of course the associated chairs/loungers that could be strong noise generators.

Thanks

If you're looking at a Signature, you're right, the Lido is just above. Have you considered a Neptune suite on deck 7? More expensive. but we felt that it was worth it, especially for the concierge. That's where we were on the Noordam in September; staterooms above and below.

Just now, YourWorldWithBill said:

If you're looking at a Signature, you're right, the Lido is just above. Have you considered a Neptune suite on deck 7? More expensive. but we felt that it was worth it, especially for the concierge. That's where we were on the Noordam in September; staterooms above and below.

Sorry, somehow I missed your last comment. Maybe you could ask about an upgrade?

We just came off the Westerdam (similar layout to Noordam) where we spent 6 weeks in cabin 8040, which is a normal Signature Suite below the pool deck.  We had very little issue with noise from above, no smoke problems (since we avoid aft cabins) and our suite turned out to be quiet even in some very rough (25 foot) seas.  

Many of the comments above, are talking about the cabins much further aft, located under the Lido buffet area (which we avoid).  DW and I actually prefer cabins more forward (we are not bothered by ship movement) since it gets us far away from propeller vibration/cavitation, the annoying shimmy that can happen towards the aft, etc.  There were a few times (usually late afternoon when we could care less) that we heard some scraping chairs.  Our only minor annoyance was that the CD Staff located two cornhole (bean bags) boards right above our balcony and they could generate a "thump" when being played.  But that was never an issue during normal sleeping hours.  While I do agree with the comments preferring Deck 7, since DW and I try to use the steps (and avoid crowded elevators which are germ/virus spreading chambers) the Deck 8 location was ideal.  Only 1 deck up to the Lido deck (where we spend a lot of time reading around the pool) and 2 decks to the Crows Nest (another favorite hang-out).

Hank

• Like 2

If you are sensitive to noise and the Lido is above you, I reconsider. That was the downside to the Neptune Suites on the older ships. Loved those ships, but I don't miss hearing the chairs moved around the Lido deck in the morning.

POA1 - I agree with you. Years ago on the Veendam, I was one deck below Lido. 

Every morning around 5 or 6 am, the chairs were dragged around the Lido deck. 

It was very annoying.  However,  I still miss the Veendam. I loved that ship. Those were the days!

• Like 1

We were under the Lido on the Westerdam in 8092, a SS.  Yes, we could hear the trolleys being moved in the Lido above us.  You don't hear chairs because they are in a carpeted area.  The good thing was how easy it was to get to the Lido without using an elevator.  

Ray

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:48 PM, POA1 said:

If you are sensitive to noise and the Lido is above you, I reconsider. That was the downside to the Neptune Suites on the older ships. Loved those ships, but I don't miss hearing the chairs moved around the Lido deck in the morning.

On the older HAL ships with Neptunes on deck 8 I try to book a cabin under the Spa Salon or carpeted area of the Lido dining area.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 5:12 PM, Hlitner said:

We just came off the Westerdam (similar layout to Noordam) where we spent 6 weeks in cabin 8040, which is a normal Signature Suite below the pool deck...

Hank

Hank,
Thank you, this is exactly where we got assigned on an upgrade for an Alaska cruise in a few weeks, and your info is just what I needed to know!
Wow, you are in the general vicinity of my dad's family, from Harrisburg west to Shippensburg!

I'd love to ask a couple of questions, if you have the time?
Is there an overhang from the cabanas on this balcony?
Is it a queen or king bed, I see conflicting info?
Much appreciated!
R

2 hours ago, ThatFickleFitch said:

Hank,
Thank you, this is exactly where we got assigned on an upgrade for an Alaska cruise in a few weeks, and your info is just what I needed to know!
Wow, you are in the general vicinity of my dad's family, from Harrisburg west to Shippensburg!

I'd love to ask a couple of questions, if you have the time?
Is there an overhang from the cabanas on this balcony?
Is it a queen or king bed, I see conflicting info?
Much appreciated!
R

No cabana overhang on our balcony, but you do get shade from the pool deck above (perhaps that is what you meant)>  But we just happened to be right below the part of the pool deck where the staff located the two cornhole games.  So, when folks were tossing those heavy bags (usually daytime) we could hear the dull thumps from above.  I guess we could have quietly complained to the CD, but since nobody was bothering us during normal sleeping hours we saw no reason to ruin anyone's fun.

As is the normal on HAL Vista class ships, the beds are two twins that can be configured together for something akin to a Queen.   But keep in mind, like on most ships, there is the crack in the center (not too annoying once covered with sheets.  

Speaking of bed configurations, there is a place on HAL's app or ones account on the web site where you can specify you want the bed in a queen configuration.  If you happen to arrive and do not like the configuration you have only to mention it to your cabin steward who will easily make the switch.

Shippensburg is about a 45 min drive from home.

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 9:30 AM, cruising Katie said:

I spent 69 days on the Noordam in a Signature suite on deck 8.  To say that I got used to the noises from above would be a lie.  Early morning clatter of dishs/glasses, chairs being pulled out and in.  The evenings were just as bad with trolleys back and forth.  I tried to change suites but all was booked.  I just learned to live with it.  I put the tv on a little loader and the music station.  Never will go on that deck again.  

Just this year we've spent 18 days on Volendam on Deck 7 in a Neptune and then another 30 days on Zuiderdam in a Signature Suite on Deck 8 - both times directly under the Lido ... and we concur 100% with what you wrote.  We also tried, unsuccessfully, to switch the day we boarded and a couple times throughout the cruise.  We shouldn't have to learn to "live with it".  We'll never book a cabin under the Lido deck on any ship again. 

Edited by zelker
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

No cabana overhang on our balcony, but you do get shade from the pool deck above (perhaps that is what you meant)> 

, there is the crack in the center (not too annoying once covered with sheets. 

Shippensburg is about a 45 min drive from home.

Hank

Ah, the pool deck must be what I'm seeing! No big worry, I won't be sunbathing much 🙂 just wondered if it would block night sky viewing.
Do they have lights on the balconies at night and can you switch them off if so?
I've had hotel rooms with all night lights and I hated it. (note to self: pack eye shade)

The bed won't bother me, we have an adjustable split king, I'll just have to fight a little harder for my share of the covers, ha!

I just lost my Dad on the 18th, but he lived out here in Jayhawk land, he and mum (also RIP) retired out of the Army here in the 80s. I haven't been back to PA since before my gramma died. There's something about the accent there, tho, I catch it as soon as I hear it.

Thank you so much for answering!
R

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatFickleFitch said:

Ah, the pool deck must be what I'm seeing! No big worry, I won't be sunbathing much 🙂 just wondered if it would block night sky viewing.
Do they have lights on the balconies at night and can you switch them off if so?
I've had hotel rooms with all night lights and I hated it. (note to self: pack eye shade)

The bed won't bother me, we have an adjustable split king, I'll just have to fight a little harder for my share of the covers, ha!

I just lost my Dad on the 18th, but he lived out here in Jayhawk land, he and mum (also RIP) retired out of the Army here in the 80s. I haven't been back to PA since before my gramma died. There's something about the accent there, tho, I catch it as soon as I hear it.

Thank you so much for answering!
R

It certainly would block night viewing from directly above.  I do not recall if there was a balcony light (we never used it if it existed).  The cabins are quite dark and the blackout curtains worked quite.  Although we had some issues on the cruise, we never had any problems or complaints about our cabin.

Hank

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

It certainly would block night viewing from directly above.  I do not recall if there was a balcony light (we never used it if it existed).  The cabins are quite dark and the blackout curtains worked quite.  Although we had some issues on the cruise, we never had any problems or complaints about our cabin.

Hank

I LOVE me some blackout curtains! 
It sounds like we really lucked out on a surprise upgrade then, not bad for first time cruisers.
I booked a veranda and got a suite, which the booking said wasn't available this late.
I shall just bundle up and go up to the deck if it's clear and interesting enough to sky watch.

R

• Like 1