Silversea TA. What is sea day entertainment?

Fsulaw1

Considering a TA on Silversea, but I would appreciate any feedback from those who have been recently.  Hopefully, they have speakers, but what else?  I’m used to movies in theater, cooking classes, art classes, and the like.

On 5/11/2023 at 4:57 AM, Fsulaw1 said:

Considering a TA on Silversea, but I would appreciate any feedback from those who have been recently.  Hopefully, they have speakers, but what else?  I’m used to movies in theater, cooking classes, art classes, and the like.

All of the above are available on an SS TA.

Maybe bridge lessons. Table tennis, shuffleboard.

Wine tastings.

Probably all sorts of spa and keepy fitty stuff but I don't do those so I don't know.

Edited by jollyjones

Pub lunch

Diner lunch

Lunch and learn with the chef

Special lunches poolside at the grill

Movies are available on demand in your suite, infrequently in the theater

Golf putting

Serenity and developing skill in the art of doing nothing but watching the waves and sipping bubbly

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

All of the above are available on an SS TA.

Maybe bridge lessons. Table tennis, shuffleboard.

Wine tastings.

Probably all sorts of spa and keepy fitty stuff but I don't do those so I don't know.

Thanks for the feedback.  We love TAs but husband needs something to do!

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Pub lunch

Diner lunch

Lunch and learn with the chef

Special lunches poolside at the grill

Movies are available on demand in your suite, infrequently in the theater

Golf putting

Serenity and developing skill in the art of doing nothing but watching the waves and sipping bubbly

Don’t forget eating cavier, my favorite, but my husband can’t “do nothing”. He goes crazy!

IMHO, few things beat sitting out on your veranda, with a good book (or, heaven forfend, e-reader) and getting lost in it, for hours on end.  There is a small library, or bring your own.  Good time for navel-gazing, also, unless, of course, you can no longer view your navel.  In which case, off to the gym with you for a work out, or (my personal favorite) walking laps on the promenade.  If all else fails, one could try chatting with your POSSLQ (Person of opposite sex sharing living quarters)(that's a literary reference, so don't jump on me for not suggesting optional person of SAME sex...)  I'm endlessly interested in watching the surface of the ocean, spotting birds and whales and refugees, or flotsam and jetsam, to say nothing of watching the endless parade of shipping near and far.  Approaching ports is always one of my favorite times, especially from the Panorama lounge with a stiff G&T in hand; plus, the crew always needs supervision and suggestions from pax whilst handing the lines when docking.  One could also play solitaire til dawn, with a deck of 51.  Together with eating and drinking, napping, sleeping, bath time, dressing for dinner - why, there are hardly enough hours in the day!  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

IMHO, few things beat sitting out on your veranda, with a good book (or, heaven forfend, e-reader) and getting lost in it, for hours on end. 

That’s what I thought. Teach the husband to read. That way he’ll have something to do.

• Like 1

After almost 50 yrs of marriage, I have given up on getting my husband to read.  I think he had dyslexia as a kid (maybe still?), and will only read magazine articles (that are short!)  loves movies, but I think we saw all the latest on our Oceania TA in April.  I guess there will be newer ones by the time we do a SS TA!  Leaving on the Silver Moon next week to see if we like the SS regular ship product. Have sailed 2 SS expeditions to date.

We returned a few days ago from a transpacific cruise from Japan to Alaska on the Silver Muse. There were extra things to do during the day that we had not seen on previous cruises (not trans-ocean cruises) in 2019, 2021, and even February 2023. This is a summary of our experience. 

Our cruise had a destination speaker plus 3 other enrichment speakers (current affairs by retired general, computer expert, and science expert.) In addition there was an art expert who held daily art classes on sea days (clay sculpture or water color painting) and 2 bridge instructors who taught 2 classes also on sea days. There were dance classes taught by cruise activities staff of some of the 4 dancers.

Of course, there were the usual activities daily for points to trade in for Silversea merchandise at the end of the cruise: team trivial, bingo, bean bag toss, golf putting, table tennis (table moved to Silver Note). There is always the gym or spa. There was an American Diner lunch and British Pub lunch with live music.

In addition, the evening entertainment was different from any previous Silversea cruise. I understand new entertainment is rolling out across the fleet. We had 2 singers and 4 dancers do 5-6 shows with a live band of 3-4. On nights without a production show, there was a cellist, magician, and singer and they all had 2 different performances. Shows were at 6:30 p.m. some nights and 9:45 p.m. other nights. We very much appreciated rotating times because the previous cruise all shows were by 6 singers to taped music and at 10 p.m. We never went to one on that cruise. We welcomed the change in entertainment!

Of course, one can stream movies (free) or watch TV. We watched Formula 1 and even the coronation. My husband read, but I was so busy I never picked up my book once.

It was chilly and no one really ventured on deck. However, there was plenty to do inside.

4 hours ago, Fsulaw1 said:

After almost 50 yrs of marriage, I have given up on getting my husband to read.  I think he had dyslexia as a kid (maybe still?), and will only read magazine articles (that are short!)  loves movies, but I think we saw all the latest on our Oceania TA in April.  I guess there will be newer ones by the time we do a SS TA!  Leaving on the Silver Moon next week to see if we like the SS regular ship product. Have sailed 2 SS expeditions to date.

Audiobooks?

hornbooks on tape?

1 hour ago, CinciCruise said:

We returned a few days ago from a transpacific cruise from Japan to Alaska on the Silver Muse. There were extra things to do during the day that we had not seen on previous cruises (not trans-ocean cruises) in 2019, 2021, and even February 2023. This is a summary of our experience. 

Our cruise had a destination speaker plus 3 other enrichment speakers (current affairs by retired general, computer expert, and science expert.) In addition there was an art expert who held daily art classes on sea days (clay sculpture or water color painting) and 2 bridge instructors who taught 2 classes also on sea days. There were dance classes taught by cruise activities staff of some of the 4 dancers.

Of course, there were the usual activities daily for points to trade in for Silversea merchandise at the end of the cruise: team trivial, bingo, bean bag toss, golf putting, table tennis (table moved to Silver Note). There is always the gym or spa. There was an American Diner lunch and British Pub lunch with live music.

In addition, the evening entertainment was different from any previous Silversea cruise. I understand new entertainment is rolling out across the fleet. We had 2 singers and 4 dancers do 5-6 shows with a live band of 3-4. On nights without a production show, there was a cellist, magician, and singer and they all had 2 different performances. Shows were at 6:30 p.m. some nights and 9:45 p.m. other nights. We very much appreciated rotating times because the previous cruise all shows were by 6 singers to taped music and at 10 p.m. We never went to one on that cruise. We welcomed the change in entertainment!

Of course, one can stream movies (free) or watch TV. We watched Formula 1 and even the coronation. My husband read, but I was so busy I never picked up my book once.

It was chilly and no one really ventured on deck. However, there was plenty to do inside.

Thanks for the review🙂. I will be on the Dawn in August and wonder if the new evening entertainment will be on board. I was on Spirit last month and it was still the 6 Voices.

Guess i will find out soon enough🙂

Lois, that is a great review!  Thank you! I didn’t know they gave out participation points (like on Oceania) and we love to do that!  Also liked having an early show because we don’t make the late ones either.  Also the art classes would be great!

53 minutes ago, Fsulaw1 said:

Lois, that is a great review!  Thank you! I didn’t know they gave out participation points (like on Oceania) and we love to do that!  Also liked having an early show because we don’t make the late ones either.  Also the art classes would be great!

Oh, the points? That has always been the way they do it (well, at least since I have been sailing with them.) Actually, that have little cards they pass out that says how many points you have won in that particular session.