Booking with air miles

NCteacherlovescruising

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

F is First Class and J is often used for Business class when discussing awards.

If you browse through the AA online information, you should find it.

I usually search for something like:  "American International Partner Airlines".

Ah, here is a place to start:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/oneworld-and-other-airline-partner-award-chart.jsp

Just wander around on the website and browse for a while.  It can get pretty complicated, but it can lead to some amazing travel!

As for "what's better about the international airlines", well, that depends in part on *which* international airlines and *which* US airlines one is comparing.  And one person may have different preferences than some others, in part depending upon which class of service they tend to fly.

GC

I have looked at that several times but as a novice, I found it confusing. The miles it says it requires for the various categories is way less than their website when I do a mock booking. 

11 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks!  I just checked myself and it looks like we will have enough to buy both legs with miles in economy or one leg with miles and one with cash, for each of us using our individual cards.  Our friends are planning on using miles and flying economy, said it's not a big deal.  I can't imagine sitting in those little seats that long.  She said they book the exit row and get both get isle seats, get up and walk around a little and they also sleep several hours.  Is this too far to travel economy?  I know many people do, but how uncomfortable is it?  Also, if we were to buy economy tickets with miles, is it an option to pay cash for an upgrade to PE?  Is Premium Economy that much more comfortable than economy?  

While I am not 100% sure what you are saying, I might buy one round trip ticket with miles and the other with cash.  For some reason, most airlines price tickets for international travel much cheaper on a round trip basis than one way from what I have seen.  This is not the case for domestic US flights nor is it the same for reward travel which seems to be booked by the leg.  I would try and secure the reward ticket and then get the same flights paying cash - just an idea.

The "best seats" in coach are either paid for extra or reserved for an airline's frequent flyers who have some elite status.  In terms of being "too long" in economy, I flew JFK to EZE (Buenos Aires) both way this past March which is about an 11 hour flight and I am 6'3".  I had a "more room" seat, but it still isn't too much different in comfort if you are under 6'.  

The difference between PE and regular economy is more about seat pitch, width and recline.  You also get somewhat - although not much - better service.  They are also fewer seats per row and this makes it easier to get in and out of your seat to stretch your legs. I can't really say how much better PE is than economy, but it's probably a better value if one is either big and/or tall. 

I agree with exit row comment and depending on the particular row, the leg room can be really good at the expense of a narrower seat.   I also agree with the aisle seat comment.  I like the inside isle in economy class on most wide body aircraft as you won't have to get up as much to let other people out as you would when sitting on the side of the isle where a window exists.  The exception here is for some of the bulkhead seats which are better on the window side.  Look at seatmaps.com for more information regarding AA aircraft cabin layouts.  

Just some ideas for you to consider...

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I have looked at that several times but as a novice, I found it confusing. The miles it says it requires for the various categories is way less than their website when I do a mock booking. 

Sometimes it is better to call and have an agent assist you with the booking as was suggested earlier.  Tell them what you are trying to accomplish and then see what they can do.  They will see things not available on the web at times when it comes to partner awards.  If it doesn't work out, call back and speak to another agent.  Use the callback option as the hold times can be really, really long on American these days unless you have super high status.

8 hours ago, SelectSys said:

While I am not 100% sure what you are saying, I might buy one round trip ticket with miles and the other with cash.  For some reason, most airlines price tickets for international travel much cheaper on a round trip basis than one way from what I have seen.  This is not the case for domestic US flights nor is it the same for reward travel which seems to be booked by the leg.  I would try and secure the reward ticket and then get the same flights paying cash - just an idea.

The "best seats" in coach are either paid for extra or reserved for an airline's frequent flyers who have some elite status.  In terms of being "too long" in economy, I flew JFK to EZE (Buenos Aires) both way this past March which is about an 11 hour flight and I am 6'3".  I had a "more room" seat, but it still isn't too much different in comfort if you are under 6'.  

The difference between PE and regular economy is more about seat pitch, width and recline.  You also get somewhat - although not much - better service.  They are also fewer seats per row and this makes it easier to get in and out of your seat to stretch your legs. I can't really say how much better PE is than economy, but it's probably a better value if one is either big and/or tall. 

I agree with exit row comment and depending on the particular row, the leg room can be really good at the expense of a narrower seat.   I also agree with the aisle seat comment.  I like the inside isle in economy class on most wide body aircraft as you won't have to get up as much to let other people out as you would when sitting on the side of the isle where a window exists.  The exception here is for some of the bulkhead seats which are better on the window side.  Look at seatmaps.com for more information regarding AA aircraft cabin layouts.  

Just some ideas for you to consider...

Our miles are on two separate credit cards. We each got one to take advantage of the bonus miles up front. If we keep the cruise we currently have booked with Celebrity, we will have to fly into Barcelona and out of Rome. 

We are willing to pay extra to be more comfortable, within reason. My husband is a big guy. So are you saying you flew economy but in a pay extra seat?  Exit row seats are narrower than the others?  

5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Exit row seats are narrower than the others?  

Standard economy seats usually have relatively thin flip-up armrests, and the tray table folds down from the seat in front of you.

Exit row seats don't have a seat in front of them, so they very often have a solid armrest that goes all the way down to the seat cushion so that the tray table can be stowed inside the armrest. This makes these seats a bit narrower than a typical standard seat.

Premium economy seats are usually significantly wider. In absolute measurement, this may be in the order of an inch or so, but that makes a huge amount of difference. But if you are going to pick PE, make sure that you're picking a real PE. Some airlines have an area of extra legroom seats that they confusingly brand with a name that sounds like PE when actually they're only standard economy seats with a bit of extra legroom.

37 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Standard economy seats usually have relatively thin flip-up armrests, and the tray table folds down from the seat in front of you.

Exit row seats don't have a seat in front of them, so they very often have a solid armrest that goes all the way down to the seat cushion so that the tray table can be stowed inside the armrest. This makes these seats a bit narrower than a typical standard seat.

Premium economy seats are usually significantly wider. In absolute measurement, this may be in the order of an inch or so, but that makes a huge amount of difference. But if you are going to pick PE, make sure that you're picking a real PE. Some airlines have an area of extra legroom seats that they confusingly brand with a name that sounds like PE when actually they're only standard economy seats with a bit of extra legroom.

We’re looking at AA. Their PE seats are wider. 

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Are you talking about bulkhead seats?  Because I have never been on an aircraft where the exit row didn't have a row of seats in front of it (unless same exit row is a bulkhead seat).

Edited by 6rugrats

4 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our miles are on two separate credit cards. We each got one to take advantage of the bonus miles up front. If we keep the cruise we currently have booked with Celebrity, we will have to fly into Barcelona and out of Rome. 

We are willing to pay extra to be more comfortable, within reason. My husband is a big guy. So are you saying you flew economy but in a pay extra seat?  Exit row seats are narrower than the others?  

AA doesn't fly nonstop from CLT to Barcelona; you'll have to change planes someplace, probably Miami.  You won't get premium economy on the domestic flight (CLT-MIA) as it isn't offered on those planes; you'll probably get "main cabin extra," which is an ordinary economy seat with a couple of inches more for legroom.  This will also add several hours to the trip.  

AA does fly nonstop (at least this year) from Rome to CLT (old US Airways route) using a 777.  The premium economy seats on the 777s are slightly different from the ones on the 787s, but still will be a couple of inches wider and offer around six inches more legroom.  You also probably won't get complaints from the person behind you if you recline your seat, something that will almost certainly happen in regular economy.

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We’re looking at AA. Their PE seats are wider. 

To repeat, the mileage redemption levels - how many miles under X circumstances that you might see online should be taken as minimums.  Actual redemption rates are allocated "dynamically," which translated into human speak means "whatever the hell we want."  And it's important - very important - to remember that upgrade and award seats are NOT offered on every flight, but only when the airline's robots tell it that they're not going to sell those seats for megabucks at the last minute.  Award seats are released into inventory throughout the 330-day booking period, but seldom at the opening gun.  If you can stand the uncertainty, fine, but in the meantime find out how much it would cost to purchase the desired seats - premium economy, whatever - and lock in your comfort, rather than playing roulette with the miles.  Knowledge isn't a bad thing.

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

Are you talking about bulkhead seats?  Because I have never been on an aircraft where the exit row didn't have a row of seats in front of it (unless same exit row is a bulkhead seat).

No, I mean exit row seats - although bulkhead seats typically have the same thing.

Here's an example:

kpa004.jpg

kpa005.jpg

I think that this photo probably shows the same location on that aircraft.

13 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our miles are on two separate credit cards. We each got one to take advantage of the bonus miles up front

Do you have AA miles or miles on a credit card.  If they are AA miles you can transfer them to a single account.  I am not sure, however, if transfers are free or not.

If we keep the cruise we currently have booked with Celebrity, we will have to fly into Barcelona and out of Rome

I am not sure why you would cancel but perhaps cruise air might be a good deal for you in this situation.  Sometimes the cruise lines will sell you a one way ticket without significant penalty and Celebrity allows a choice of your preferred airline.

My husband is a big guy

Then he will be more comfortable in premium economy.

14 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So are you saying you flew economy but in a pay extra seat?

No, I got the seat with more legroom without extra charge because of my frequent flyer status on American.  You can pay more for these if you want to.  If your husband is more tall than big this could work out too as a valid option.

I am convinced you and your husband are going to have a great trip regardless of your flight decision.  My all time worst flight in terms of comfort was on a now defunct airline called AOM French Airlines.  I took them on a flight to Tahiti from LA.  The flight was between 8 and 9 hours long and the space between rows was so tight I couldn't believe it.  I just kept repeating the statement, I can do anything for 8 hours,  I can do anything for 7 hours 59 minutes and so on.  Despite the uncomfortable flight, the trip was amazing and one of the best of my life to this date.

6 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Do you have AA miles or miles on a credit card.  If they are AA miles you can transfer them to a single account.  I am not sure, however, if transfers are free or not.

We both have the AAdvantage credit cards. His is with Barclays and mine is Citi. 

I am not sure why you would cancel but perhaps cruise air might be a good deal for you in this situation.  Sometimes the cruise lines will sell you a one way ticket without significant penalty and Celebrity allows a choice of your preferred airline.

But then we wouldn’t be able to use our miles. 

Then he will be more comfortable in premium economy.

No, I got the seat with more legroom without extra charge because of my frequent flyer status on American.  You can pay more for these if you want to.  If your husband is more tall than big this could work out too as a valid option.

He’s not tall. We could both stand to drop a few pounds.  We fit in the standard seats but the extra width would be nice, especially for him. 

I am convinced you and your husband are going to have a great trip regardless of your flight decision.  My all time worst flight in terms of comfort was on a now defunct airline called AOM French Airlines.  I took them on a flight to Tahiti from LA.  The flight was between 8 and 9 hours long and the space between rows was so tight I couldn't believe it.  I just kept repeating the statement, I can do anything for 8 hours,  I can do anything for 7 hours 59 minutes and so on.  Despite the uncomfortable flight, the trip was amazing and one of the best of my life to this date.

I’m sure we will. I just want to be comfortable enough to sleep so we can hit the ground running when we arrive. That flights sounds awful but you had a great attitude. I think comfort on our flight there is more important than the flight home. 

Thank you!  

5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We both have the AAdvantage credit cards. His is with Barclays and mine is Citi. 

OK - then you should be good if you want to transfer miles between accounts.

6 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

But then we wouldn’t be able to use our miles. 

I thought you wanted to pay in one direction with points and then buy the other ticket? If you have points then it's no problem.  

7 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We fit in the standard seats but the extra width would be nice, especially for him. 

PE will be great for you and your husband.  

8 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I just want to be comfortable enough to sleep so we can hit the ground running when we arrive

Take a flight that leaves as late as you can.  Make sure to have eye masks and ear plugs.  I put my eye mask and ear plugs on before the plane leaves the gate.  My goal is to be asleep as soon as possible.

Don't watch movies and try to remain calm - more meditation works for me along with some soft music instead of ear plugs at times.  I also wouldn't recommend drinking too much alcohol but a glass of wine can possibly help help you relax.  I also sometimes take melatonin to help me go to sleep on planes.  Finally, I always set my phone to the destination time to start the process of acclimating to where I am going.  Also, never say the time back home is...  Your correct time is where you are at.

If all else fails, adrenaline will hopefully kick in.  Just resist the temptation to go to bed super late. 

Good luck!  I am sure all will go well. 

5 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

OK - then you should be good if you want to transfer miles between accounts.

I thought you wanted to pay in one direction with points and then buy the other ticket? If you have points then it's no problem.  

I didn’t know this was an option. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

PE will be great for you and your husband.  

Take a flight that leaves as late as you can.  Make sure to have eye masks and ear plugs.  I put my eye mask and ear plugs on before the plane leaves the gate.  My goal is to be asleep as soon as possible.

Don't watch movies and try to remain calm - more meditation works for me along with some soft music instead of ear plugs at times.  I also wouldn't recommend drinking too much alcohol but a glass of wine can possibly help help you relax.  I also sometimes take melatonin to help me go to sleep on planes.  Finally, I always set my phone to the destination time to start the process of acclimating to where I am going.  Also, never say the time back home is...  Your correct time is where you are at.

If all else fails, adrenaline will hopefully kick in.  Just resist the temptation to go to bed super late. 

Good luck!  I am sure all will go well. 

My doctor usually gives me Ativan to fly. I’m terrified of planes and heights, hence why we’ve waited so long for a trip like this. Hopefully she will give me enough to knock me out!  

On 6/22/2023 at 9:46 AM, Globaliser said:

And western Europe to Sydney or Auckland is something like 20 to 22 hours, split between two flights.

LAX to Sydney is about 16 hours.  I have done two vacations there in economy.

I would highly recommend exit row at a minimum.

Edited by NMTraveller