Best to book through MSC direct?

kaz828

Since I am new to MSC, is it best to book direct with them? Any advantages vs maybe booking with another site?

Pricing difference? Insurance? 

As well is there somewhere to look to see the range of pricing over time, do they do price adjustments? We are looking at the YC category 

Edited by kaz828

Book through a travel agent.  Sometimes you can get on board credit, but what really matters is if something needs to change, they deal with it. 
MSC has it's benefits.  Excellent customer service is not one of them.  I'd much rather someone else deal with it. 

• Like 1

You can find websites with price history but cruise critic is restrictive on posting external links. As 1kaper wrote the advantage of using a TA is onboard credit and if something goes wrong the TA has to deal with it. Only disadvantage is not being able to get my TA on the phone when I need/want to make changes.

58 minutes ago, kaz828 said:

As well is there somewhere to look to see the range of pricing over time, do they do price adjustments? We are looking at the YC category 

The do NOT do price adjustments.  YC has non refundable deposits and you can make one change, but not on the same booking, per se.  Given the $ of YC, I would absolutely use a TA as you can get 5-10% of the price (pre taxes) back in onboard credit.  

• Like 1

I emailed my travel agent about a cruise we just booked a few days ago and he said he will not work with MSC.  I don't know if that's common among travel agents or not.  Ours doesn't work with Carnival or NCL either.  He said he specializes in luxury lines.  We booked the yacht club, I would consider that luxury.  Normally he does give us onboard credit and we like dealing with him directly, but in this case we book with MSC.  However, our cruise is in 41 days so hopefully I don't need to contact customer service.  

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I emailed my travel agent about a cruise we just booked a few days ago and he said he will not work with MSC.  I don't know if that's common among travel agents or not.  Ours doesn't work with Carnival or NCL either.  He said he specializes in luxury lines.  We booked the yacht club, I would consider that luxury.  Normally he does give us onboard credit and we like dealing with him directly, but in this case we book with MSC.  However, our cruise is in 41 days so hopefully I don't need to contact customer service.  

I have read not all TAs will book with MSC. If you like MSC I suggest you get a different TA just for booking MSC cruises. I use an online agency and right now they are offering $500 in OBC for YC deluxe suite plus whatever MSC is giving in OBC.

4 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

I have read not all TAs will book with MSC. If you like MSC I suggest you get a different TA just for booking MSC cruises. I use an online agency and right now they are offering $500 in OBC for YC deluxe suite plus whatever MSC is giving in OBC.

I just got a $325 reduction for a YCI plus the OBC.  I'm happy with it!  

@NCteacherlovescruisingMany TAs won't work with MSC.  If there are issues, they have to spend too much time resolving them.

@kaz828If you're happy with the price, go for it.  But, after you book, ignore the urge to do mock bookings.  They don't price adjust, and if the price goes down, you have to cancel (and lose your deposit) and then rebook.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

Our usual TA wasn't interested in dealing w_MSC. No problem we just used a different agency.

• 2 months later...

I booked a cruise through MSC ( first time MSC cruiser) 39 other on all the others. Called my TA in Florida and he transferred the booking to him via form I filled out and sent it to MSC for transfer of booking to him. Got 10 % off two YC suites and $675 OBC per suite. Also, got Diamond status via status match with NCL Latitudes. All in all 2 suites on MSC YC were $8k less than a 2 BDRM on NCL with $1350 OBC.

On 5/15/2023 at 5:40 PM, Morgsmom said:

The do NOT do price adjustments.  YC has non refundable deposits and you can make one change, but not on the same booking, per se.  Given the $ of YC, I would absolutely use a TA as you can get 5-10% of the price (pre taxes) back in onboard credit.  

This is really important info. Yes, it's in the T&C, but it is something that is easily overlooked.

Agree with the TA comment...I usually get close to 10% pre taxes back. Definitely a nice perk.

I would add that you get 50 OBC if you book early enough and are a voyager member. I can't remember the level you need to be but you can status match.