What to wear for a RIB-boat ride?

PokkuJo

We´ll be taking a RIB-boat ride as one of our excursions and now I´m wondering what kind of clothes we should bring for this. Could someone who has taken such a ride give me some advice on what to bring, thank you?

Depends where you ride is. Some companies provide full waterproofs, others you get a fold away plastic sheet with hood, some you get nothing. Google the company you've booked the ride with or email them perhaps and ask. 

TBH i'd wear something you dont mind getting wet and maybe pack a spare pair shorts & Tshirt in your day trip waterproof tote. 

• Like 1

Wear capris or shorts and a t-shirt, a cap or visor, plus a windbreaker if the temp is under 80.  You can take your shoes off in the boat or wear sneakers.  Don't bring anything that can't get wet.  Bring a towel and dry clothes to put on at the end of the trip.

• Like 1

For really bouncy rides, the tendency is to make sure feet are planted firmly on the boat's deck while grippng a rail with both hands.  This puts a heavy strain on one's spine, and actually makes the bouncing feel more jarring.

I find when I let my legs dangle and keep my feet a few inches off the deck, the ride is easier on my 3x surgically repaired back.  Sounds counterintuitive, but it works!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Wear capris or shorts and a t-shirt, a cap or visor, plus a windbreaker if the temp is under 80.  You can take your shoes off in the boat or wear sneakers.  Don't bring anything that can't get wet.  Bring a towel and dry clothes to put on at the end of the trip.

6 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

What to wear would be quite different for the Caribbean or Antartica - so a lot depends on where the RIB tour is located.

March in Norway

IMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.5c8580e0669907588667d8fd69a2f6ef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a046c2a91f74d0fb6e28401682406fc.jpeg

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

March in Norway

IMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.5c8580e0669907588667d8fd69a2f6ef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a046c2a91f74d0fb6e28401682406fc.jpeg

Tooooooo funny!  Who would do an RIB trip of Norway in March???    Relatives of Eric the Red perhaps?  Even this NoMN-raised girl would not be out on the water in that place at that time.  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

What to wear would be quite different for the Caribbean or Antartica - so a lot depends on where the RIB tour is located.

Ha, ha that is very true! I was in my own head too much so for me it was obvious. The trip is in fact in Norway. In August though, so not quite as cold as in March I would imagine. 

Thank you everyone for your answers. 

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Tooooooo funny!  Who would do an RIB trip of Norway in March???    Relatives of Eric the Red perhaps?  Even this NoMN-raised girl would not be out on the water in that place at that time.  

I would 🙂 But ours is in August, so hopefully it won´t be that chilly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

But all y’all go ice fishing. 😱
But then again how else can you get lutefisk in the winter.🤢

Many of "we'all" have never been fishing.  I realized when I was little that fishing would never be interesting ... and ice fishing exists just so the men can get away from the wife and kids in winter.  I remember every late winter some idiots would fall into a lake through ice too weak to support them.  The volunteer fire department would mobilize to try to save them, or drag the lake in the spring looking for bodies.  Ugh.  Anything to do with fishing is the height of  idiocy in my book.  Fortunately, I also found out what lutefisk actually was at a young age.  Swedish meatballs were about as far as we got at my house.    

Edited by jsn55
typo