question for those that have sailed in the med? (Italy/ France/ Spain)

mazz1

i noticed something in a previous thread about added VAT to drinks 

can i just check if this is on every drink or just when the ship is docked 

i'm confused because i have been given the bar tab as a free promotional offer and wondering how they can charge VAT on a item that is free ? 

we did cruise with NCL on a canaries itinerary and i can remember a lot of talk about this and some passengers were being charged but we didn't as we where in the Haven so drinks where included in our fare again as a free added extra 

I don't know if I would use NCL as a comparison, they nickel and dime you to death.  I was in San Juan on NCL and any drink had an extra "tax" added to it, I had the drink package and they still added it.  Have been to San Juan multiple times and only NCL did this.

We did the Med to Miami transatlantic last October and the night the ship stayed in port overnight at Malaga there was taxes on drinks but looking at the folio from the trip I don’t see any others that appear to have added taxes.

• Like 1

Just off Valiant's TA last week.  We had dinner sailing away from Cádiz but were still within Spain's territorial waters (12nm / ~22km from shore).  Had Spanish VAT added to our bottle of wine (at 10%).   Scott.    

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mazz1 said:

and wondering how they can charge VAT on a item that is free ? 

if there's VAT applicable to anything, it'll just come out of the $600 balance.  for example, in the caribbean, they have to charge sales tax in some (all?) of the ports.  you'll see a slightly higher amount deducted from your bar tab for the same drink when you're in port vs. at sea.

The way it works is that the $600 is an amount applied to your bar tab by VV.  The drinks are not "free,"  technically the cost is applied against the bar tab that you have been given.  I do realize that the distinction is more of a legal than a real one.  

As to Med cruises.....any time the ship is not in international waters, you will be charged tax.  Beyond that, on any cruise that does not port somewhere other than an EU country (there is a name for this, starts with S), you will be charged VAT for the entire cruise.  It is theorized that some cruises will stop in Turkey specifically to avoid this regulation.  If the ship ports somewhere not included in the specified region, then tax is only charged while in territorial waters of the various countries (no tax in international waters).  

On the TA, we ported in Miami and Bimini, which meant that VAT was only charged when in a country's territorial waters.  On Med cruises, it depends totally on which ports are part of the cruise.

40 minutes ago, neverendingcruising said:

You're likely thinking of the Schengen Area, which is a passport control free zone that includes most EU nations (but not all) and a few other countries as well. 

That's it......so if you stop at a port outside this area, you pay VAT only in territorial waters.  If you stop at ports only in Schengen countries, you will pay VAT on your entire trip's drinks and other purchases.

23 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Just got off Valiant Lady and can confirm we were charged tax on all drinks. Juts checked my bill and it appears to be around 10% on each drink.Think it may have been 15 or 20% in Spanish waters.

thanks that is really good to know