(One for the Brits).... where's the best cup of tea on Beyond?

dingdong70

6 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I believe a travel kettle would be confiscated till the end of cruise.

Tea is never the same on a cruise as at home so I would ask for a kettle from your room steward rather than carrying a thermos flask

Do you think it would be possible to get a kettle on a transatlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona)? I usually pack my own teabags. I know on our last (and only) transatlantic on a RC ship we were provided with a kettle, but we were in a suite on that sailing. 

20 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I would buy a box of teabags such as Yorkshire tea. All this ‘English Breakfast Tea’ malarkey is always a disappointment. As are the individually wrapped packets (I keep some in my work case if there is a shortage, but never the same). However the most important thing is the water - hot. And leave it for a minimum of a couple of minutes. Quality of the water is an issue too. Here in Southampton it is mediocre, good in Scotland but delicious in Ireland. 

I'm American but was raised by Scottish parents so I grew up a tea drinker and still am. My coffee drinker husband doesn't understand how the water being to a full boil makes a difference, but indeed it does. I set a timer for 3 minutes for a good steep and add a splash of whole milk. 

5 minutes ago, jules815 said:

That's actually not a bad selection for a buffet.

I'm glad Celebrity added Twinnings, Lipton and Bigelow. For the longest time the only tea brand was Fields and Select and as a whole their teabags are some of the weakest tea leaves I have ever tasted. Adding extra bags made no difference either.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Do you think it would be possible to get a kettle on a transatlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona)? I usually pack my own teabags. I know on our last (and only) transatlantic on a RC ship we were provided with a kettle, but we were in a suite on that sailing. 

Kettles are banned on roundtrip cruises from US ports. I would wait until the ship has sailed and simply ask at Guest Relations. I'm 90% sure there will not be an issue. As always be polite, not demanding "could you possible help me with a kettle" sort of approach works for us.

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I'm glad Celebrity added Twinnings, Lipton and Bigelow. For the longest time the only tea brand was Fields and Select and as a whole their teabags are some of the weakest tea leaves I have ever tasted. Adding extra bags made no difference either.  

The Fields and Select teas also have a strong plastic aroma and taste, which cannot possibly be healthy. 

I'm a loose-leaf tea drinker at home, so I am grateful for the Tea Forte at Cafe al Bacio. I stop by on my way to breakfast and get a package, then I get hot water brought to the table. 

When it comes to tea dust in a bag, the Twinnings Cinnamon Tea has a flavor I enjoy, so that works when I forget to stop by al Bacio for a Tea Forte package. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

The Fields and Select teas also have a strong plastic aroma and taste, which cannot possibly be healthy. 

I'm a loose-leaf tea drinker at home, so I am grateful for the Tea Forte at Cafe al Bacio. I stop by on my way to breakfast and get a package, then I get hot water brought to the table. 

When it comes to tea dust in a bag, the Twinnings Cinnamon Tea has a flavor I enjoy, so that works when I forget to stop by al Bacio for a Tea Forte package. 

The Forte Tea is not loose leaf tea it's still just a bag but different in shape and with a premium blend. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, the penguins said:

The Forte Tea is not loose leaf tea it's still just a bag but different in shape and with a premium blend. 

Correct. It's in those plastic net-like bags and shaped like a pyramid. The 'string' is more like a wire with the tag in the shape of a little green leaf. Al Bacio have custom teapots where the lid has a hole in it so you can thread the teabag wire through the lid hole and bend the leaf tag so it holds the teabag. Love this setup! 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Correct. It's in those plastic net-like bags and shaped like a pyramid. The 'string' is more like a wire with the tag in the shape of a little green leaf. Al Bacio have custom teapots where the lid has a hole in it so you can thread the teabag wire through the lid hole and bend the leaf tag so it holds the teabag. Love this setup! 

And here's how you can duplicate the Cafe Al Bacio Forte Tea experience at home:

Screenshot_20230519-182000~2.png

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

That's true. It's not loose leaf tea. However, it's full leaf tea, which is the same process/leaf size/shape as loose leaf tea. As opposed to most tea bags, which are tea dust.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Ya think?

🙄

At over 💲1 a bag on Amazon compared to a few cents for other brands/blends they had better be. All I know is that the boss (Anita) loves them and that's good enough for me - I stick to the Lattes.

On 5/19/2023 at 12:47 AM, dingdong70 said:

Thanks all for your great help.    

I think I'll tell her to take a flask to get hot water safely back to the room and some yorkshire tea bags just so she's got options covered!

We have cruised a number of times with British friends (Alaska and Asia). They asked for a kettle for their suite and it was not a problem. Just bring your own tea.

Returned last week from Silhouette out of Southampton.

The cabin has a kettle and a good selection of tea and coffee,,,,I get milk (Lactose free or Soya from Oceanview and keep in fridge.those little pyramid cartons of milk are useless.

Cabin selection,,,,of course you can replenish from buffet…

IMG_2437.thumb.jpeg.0bfb312f9f8a43e62d7326ef4b9b36ca.jpeg

if she finds tea bags she like at the buffet and then doesn't see them later ask . I have actually collected enough early on to last me through the cruise. It seems that they have a supply for each cruise that isn't endless.. or maybe the bag lady I saw one cruise has accomplices . I watch her empty the tea supplies into her bag!!