Current Alaska Sailings

islandchick

2 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

That's awesome that they charter the whole boat! I did not realize the excursion included a bus ride and I'm relieved to hear it's a short one.  I promised my DH we would not be on any lengthy bus rides LOL.  Thank you again for the information 🙂

BTW, as I recall you are getting yourselves to Seward from Anchorage.  If you get there before 3 pm, you will have the ship almost to yourselves.  Our Anchorage precruise extension didn't take anyone to the ship until after 3pm.  We hopped off once the bus got to Seward at 1:30, told the driver what we were doing, and took the free city shuttle to the ship where we breezed through checkin and were amazed at how empty the ship was.

1 hour ago, CAFs said:

What is the dress at dinner in the evening?  Are jeans ok if they are nice?

Only in the World Café. In other venues, no. From Viking's FAQ:

What is the dress code?

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM

🍺🥌

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CurlerRob said:

Only in the World Café. In other venues, no. From Viking's FAQ:

What is the dress code?

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM

🍺🥌

I appreciate the reposting of the rules. However, I would like someone who has been on an AK cruise this year to weigh in on the topic. I have read many times that AK cruises are much more casual so I believe the OP has a valid question. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

I appreciate the reposting of the rules. However, I would like someone who has been on an AK cruise this year to weigh in on the topic. I have read many times that AK cruises are much more casual so I believe the OP has a valid question. 

In May-June this year it was very casual.  More so than other cruises.  We were celebrating a big anniversary, so my husband brought a blazer, and wore it on several occasions.  Certainly no tie needed.  He likes to do that.  But he was in the minority.  I never wore a dress.  I kind of missed dressing up Viking style.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Thanks for this explanation.  Exactly what I meant, but I regret not explaining myself.

Just back from dinner.  By 7 pm the restaurant was full.  Now, I  only could see the 20 some couples in the section we were seated in, and the other section we walked thru, and a line waiting to be seated, but I  only saw one couple wearing jeans.  It is possible their luggage didn't make it.  There were lots of jeans the first night, but most people boarded after 3pm and luggage was slow getting to cabins.  Tonight I  saw lots of khakis, some nicer slacks, and no jackets.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dd57 said:

BTW, as I recall you are getting yourselves to Seward from Anchorage.  If you get there before 3 pm, you will have the ship almost to yourselves.  Our Anchorage precruise extension didn't take anyone to the ship until after 3pm.  We hopped off once the bus got to Seward at 1:30, told the driver what we were doing, and took the free city shuttle to the ship where we breezed through checkin and were amazed at how empty the ship was.

You have a great memory 😀 We are taking the train in from Anchorage.  We arrive around 11:15am.  It will be awesome to have time to discover the layout and get our bearings while there are minimal people onboard.

Thanks again for all the info 🙂 I am hoping to do a "live" report but it sounds like the internet is crapola, haha.

24 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

You have a great memory 😀 We are taking the train in from Anchorage.  We arrive around 11:15am.  It will be awesome to have time to discover the layout and get our bearings while there are minimal people onboard.

Thanks again for all the info 🙂 I am hoping to do a "live" report but it sounds like the internet is crapola, haha.

Crapola would be an upgrade.  It is better now that we are at sea in the Gulf of Alaska instead of surrounded by mountains.  In port I just use my cellphone as a hotspot.  There has been great Verizon service in both Seward and Valdez.

• Like 1

Right now there are low clouds obscuring the coastline, but we are 4 hours away from our scheduled entry into Disenchantment Bay.  Hopefully the clouds lift when we get closer. The weather has been excellent the last 3 days....

• Like 1

Some tips for those on the southbound trips for Hubbard viewing day. 

The Viking Daily says we are to start entering Disenchantment Bay at 1 pm.  People started taking seats in Explorer's Lounge at 9:30 this morning. 

At 10 am the ship is cruising relatively close to the shore.  The view out the port side would be spectacular if we didn't have these dang clouds.  I know this because we had clear weather the last time we did this cruise with Viking.  Now we just see peeks (of peaks and glaciers) thru the clouds.  So if you have a cabin the port side, you would have a great view.  If you have a starboard cabin, ignore the front of Explorers and head to the little part  that looks  out the port side. You can always stand in the front when the ship reaches the glacier.  But the view on the port side will be great until exiting the bay.  Assuming no clouds.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Murt22 said:

Ps- first person in the elevator w us when we boarded had a robe on… several coming to the pool w robes on, but still looks weird.

My DH and I will stand out since we think we will be some of the young'uns onboard, so maybe we should also be the "robe" people.  Haha.  Is that taking one for the team?  Will it make me CC famous?  Is that a thing, haha.  (btw, I am totally kidding.  We are rule followers to a fault.)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dd57 said:

Right now there are low clouds obscuring the coastline, but we are 4 hours away from our scheduled entry into Disenchantment Bay.  Hopefully the clouds lift when we get closer. The weather has been excellent the last 3 days....

Last year we had a nice clear day, but we didnt get very close due to ice chunks in the bay

• Thanks 1

They have one italian cooking class scheduled, bridge tours, bayeux tapestry tours, and at least one wine tasting.  We did not ask for details on the latter.  Be sure to go to Guest Services as soon as you board to ask and sign up.

Edited by dd57
  • Like 1