International currency available onboard Oceania ships?

Woodrowst

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

I have a somewhat different question.  We have an upcoming cruise to South America and it seems that all the private tour companies we are booking shore excursions with want cash in USD, not the local currency.  It is now close to $2000 we will need to take along.  We are worried about carrying this much money off the plane, during our pre-cruise stay in a 3rd-world country, and then on to the ship.  After we get on the ship we are comfortable keeping it in the safe in our cabin.

So what are our other options?  Does O have an ATM onboard that dispenses USD?   Even if it does, we hate to put all our eggs in one basket (suppose it is out of order or they don't have enough USD).  Is American Express travelers checks an option to cash at the front desk?  We haven't used them in 10+ years but perhaps it makes sense in this case.  Does O accept them?

In South America (particularly Argentina) they want USD because their currency is devaluing at such a  rapid rate that USD are their only means to try and stay ahead.  We have carried that much (and more) cash with us before to South America.  We divide the cash between us and both wear money belts until we reach our hotel in the city.  All of the hotels we have stayed in have a safe in the room where we then put the cash, along with our passports, etc. until we are ready to head to the ship/airport. Then the money belts go back on until we are onboard or at our next hotel.  We have traveled like this to South America every year for the last 20 and not had any problems (we have family that live in Argentina on the border with Chile).  You will not find an ATM in South America that dispenses USD, nor can you walk into a bank with travelers checks/debit card/etc. and get them cashed for USD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, basor said:

In South America (particularly Argentina) they want USD because their currency is devaluing at such a  rapid rate that USD are their only means to try and stay ahead.  We have carried that much (and more) cash with us before to South America.  We divide the cash between us and both wear money belts until we reach our hotel in the city.  All of the hotels we have stayed in have a safe in the room where we then put the cash, along with our passports, etc. until we are ready to head to the ship/airport. Then the money belts go back on until we are onboard or at our next hotel.  We have traveled like this to South America every year for the last 20 and not had any problems (we have family that live in Argentina on the border with Chile).  You will not find an ATM in South America that dispenses USD, nor can you walk into a bank with travelers checks/debit card/etc. and get them cashed for USD.

Thanks for your insights.  To clarify, I was talking about possibly cashing travelers checks in exchange for USD on the O ship at their front desk?  Does anyone know if they take travelers checks?  We have not used them for many years and I doubt they are very well accepted anymore.

3 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Thanks for your insights.  To clarify, I was talking about possibly cashing travelers checks in exchange for USD on the O ship at their front desk?  Does anyone know if they take travelers checks?  We have not used them for many years and I doubt they are very well accepted anymore.

They used to take them but  have not used them in many years 

FAQ

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005406034-Can-I-cash-a-traveler-s-check-or-personal-check-on-the-ship-

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Just asking again.

Any further input please ?

We always were able to change USD into smaller nominations at the front desk. Most recent cruise was in April 2023. 

I hope this will help.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2023 at 8:48 AM, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

On our recent (2022 and 2023) cruises and land trips U.S. dollars were welcomed in Egypt, Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Figi and Samoa but were not accepted in Japan.

Joel Barry

I'll be in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand this fall - did you need dollars for bathrooms or did you use them for tips for guides? What is a typical percent to tip a tour guide in these countries? I know tipping customs vary greatly in different countries. Thank you!