How Far Does Lyft Go?

CChamp

I am going out of Port Canaveral on a cruise in Sept. We are flying into Orlando Sanford Air Port which is roughly 60 miles from Port Canaveral. I am planning on getting a hotel and the next morning catching a Lyft to the port. Has anyone had any problems getting a Lyft ride to go that far? I don't want to get stranded there with no drivers wanting to go that far. Is this going to be a problem? Thanks in advance.

The airport website has a whole list of ride options with their email and phone number.  You might want to give a call (or email) and ask your questions just to make sure you are covered.  Also, maybe you might want to get to Port the day you fly in (just to be safe) and get your hotel there.  That way you are already at your final destination (or much closer anyway to cruise terminal).  Less room for time crunch and can look for a hotel that provides shuttle to cruise port.  

You can always go in to the app and pre-book your ride so that you'll have a driver waiting for you.

You're correct a lot of drivers won't go that far, but even if you don't pre-book the app will eventually find you a driver. You just might have to wait a bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CChamp said:

Has anyone had any problems getting a Lyft ride to go that far?

100%. I just did Los Angeles airport to Long Beach and it was difficult. S drivers popped up in my app and went (cancelled) before someone finally accepted it, and I gave a generous tip afterward knowing that most folks didn't want to do the drive.

I'm noticing that a lot of rideshare drivers are just cancelling if they don't want to be bothered (which is really better for all involved), but it might add a bit of a wait to your experience.

I just had this discussion with my last Uber driver. They end up having to deadhead back, so for many not their favorite destination.  He had a ride from MCO to Tampa port, ended up being over 2 hours due to traffic, no return ride and no extra compensation since the original ride was rated way less than 2 hours. So for a 4 hour drive, he  paid for a 90 minute ride.  He said they tipped well which took some of the sting out.  

2 hours ago, notscb said:

100%. I just did Los Angeles airport to Long Beach and it was difficult. S drivers popped up in my app and went (cancelled) before someone finally accepted it, and I gave a generous tip afterward knowing that most folks didn't want to do the drive.

I'm noticing that a lot of rideshare drivers are just cancelling if they don't want to be bothered (which is really better for all involved), but it might add a bit of a wait to your experience.

Most Uber/Lyft drivers look for the long drives but the ease of finding a ride will depend on how busy the night is, traffic conditions and what the app is offering.  I take Uber frequently from my West Los Angeles-area office to LAX and on a busy night (especially Friday), the app has to go to about $100 to secure a ride.  During the week, when it's slower, I can get the same ride for less than $40.

We flew in a day early.  Rented a car at the airport, and drove to the Radisson at the Port.  The next morning, we dropped the car off at their office just a short distance from the Radisson.  From there, we hopped on the shuttle that they run to the port.  He dropped us off at the Radisson on his way to the port.  From there, we got on the hotel shuttle that took us to the port.

After the cruise, we got on the car rental shuttle and went back to their office to pick up another vehicle, stayed at the Radisson another night, then drove to the airport and dropped off the vehicle.  

You really have to be careful with the gas.  They want you to fill up the tank or pay an  arm and a leg if they do it.  Only trouble is, there aren't any gas stations between the port and the airport.  Fill it up at the port.