Additional TAX in UK ports now!

Greener123

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not a car, but a cruise….two very different things.  But, sounds like the $100 FCC is the “gift” from NCL for the snafu.  They killed two birds with one stone.  You demanded compensation, and got it.  NCL got you back on board to use the FCC compensation, and in turn, giving you a reason to book another cruise that you may not have booked. Win-Win!

They are now starting to give cash to those that complain about the FCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, insidecabin said:

I'm wondering what the "F" stands for in FCC...given the fact that in order to get the credit, you shell out thousands more.

16 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm wondering what the "F" stands for in FCC...given the fact that in order to get the credit, you shell out thousands more.

Its not thousands, the cruises are getting knocked out under £1k fully loaded with FAS and grats and flights on some.

10 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Its not thousands, the cruises are getting knocked out under £1k fully loaded with FAS and grats and flights on some.

I wish. Maybe in the UK. Try getting away with under $1,000 in the US. We just booked the Escape for September and even with my Veteran's discount of 10%, we're looking at over $5,000...plus flights and gratuities.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I wish. Maybe in the UK. Try getting away with under $1,000 in the US. We just booked the Escape for September and even with my Veteran's discount of 10%, we're looking at over $5,000...plus flights and gratuities.

Book in the UK if you can't get these prices.

Late booking last weekend for this weekend Dawn Southampton to Copenhagen £650(solo)

Plenty of cheap flights back.

56 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not a car, but a cruise….two very different things.  But, sounds like the $100 FCC is the “gift” from NCL for the snafu.  They killed two birds with one stone.  You demanded compensation, and got it.  NCL got you back on board to use the FCC compensation, and in turn, giving you a reason to book another cruise that you may not have booked. Win-Win!

Exactly. And as one poster put it (might have been you), it's extremely difficult to parcel out just how much of a credit one feels one is "owed." If someone pays a $20 per day gratuity on the drinks package, and the ship has a ban on alcoholic drinks from, say, 7 am to 9 pm (for the sake of argument, we'll assume those are the hours the ship is in port), then potentially the "loss" is 14 hours. Dividing $20 by 24 hours and multiplying by 14 yields roughly $11.67. But wait: the FAS drinks package also includes soft drinks, and they weren't affected by the ban. So it becomes even harder to calculate how much said ban "cost" the passenger. $100 FCC seems like a windfall to me. If you're a frequent NCL cruiser, you just got an extra $100 to spend later. If this experience has so soured you that you never intend to sail with them again, then who cares, you're done with NCL over this, anyway.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Have not seen that.  Wonder who gets it, and how they're getting it.  

I think if you shop really hard, you can find deals.  NCL seems to always have some sort of deal that looks appealing, at least to me.  Which is probably one of the reasons I cruise them so much.  Last year I found a 7 day New England/Canada cruise on the Breakaway in a Club Balcony cabin for less than $700.  Anytime I can get under $100/day for a cruise, it's a bargain.  My Alaska Cruise on the Bliss in a Club Balcony Cabin was around $1,300, which I considered a good deal, too.  Both included FAS.

Sometimes my TA offers to pay my tips and DSC, which makes these even better.  

Have itineraries changed?  Have times in port changed?  Has entertainment changed and been moved around?  Sure!  Just me, but I don't demand a refund as a result.  But, if that's something you feel you want, go for it.  The only thing they can say is "no".  That said, there's an awful lot of FUD being throw around in this thread.  Some of it does not seem credible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Have not seen that.  Wonder who gets it, and how they're getting it.  

I think if you shop really hard, you can find deals.  NCL seems to always have some sort of deal that looks appealing, at least to me.  Which is probably one of the reasons I cruise them so much.  Last year I found a 7 day New England/Canada cruise on the Breakaway in a Club Balcony cabin for less than $700.  Anytime I can get under $100/day for a cruise, it's a bargain.  My Alaska Cruise on the Bliss in a Club Balcony Cabin was around $1,300, which I considered a good deal, too.  Both included FAS.

Sometimes my TA offers to pay my tips and DSC, which makes these even better.  

Have itineraries changed?  Have times in port changed?  Has entertainment changed and been moved around?  Sure!  Just me, but I don't demand a refund as a result.  But, if that's something you feel you want, go for it.  The only thing they can say is "no".  That said, there's an awful lot of FUD being throw around in this thread.  Some of it does not seem credible.

Why FUD this post with your prowess at getting deals in the US that are not relevant.

Stick to facts around this fiasco.

Standard refund,  back to method of payment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Book in the UK if you can't get these prices.

Late booking last weekend for this weekend Dawn Southampton to Copenhagen £650(solo)

Plenty of cheap flights back.

You're cherry-picking by picking solo fares. I'm sure the stow-away fare is even cheaper.

As I'm sure you're aware, the average cruiser profile is couples/families. Show me total fares for under $1,000 for that profile. I'll wait...and I stand by my THOUSANDS comment.

Edited by schmoopie17

6 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

You're cherry-picking by picking solo fares. I'm sure the stow-away fare is even cheaper.

As I'm sure you're aware, the average cruiser profile is couples/families. Show me total fares for under $1,000 for that profile. I'll wait...and I stand by my THOUSANDS comment.

The 2pax rate was just x2 around $1600 included FAS and service for a 10n cruise

Easy to find high prices. 

Thousands is plural 2k+

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

A product is a product.  It's never okay to provide less - not without compensation. 

These people are due compensation for the days they were not provided with what was purchased in advance and I'm glad at least some are getting cash instead of FCC.

I couldn't care less how difficult it is to value the missing parts of a package. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, podgeandrodge said: 

I know that NCL having admitted to screwing up will be upsetting for you, but just try not to think about it for a day, and stay away from this thread. 

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I could just as easily ask you to stay from this thread, but it's not my place to tell people whether or not to post, just as others have no right to tell me to stay away. Social media 101.

Ahh, but come on.  You selectively quoted me as saying "stay away from this thread", without completing my quote, which adopted a different tone which was lost by your omitting the last sentence 🙂 

" I know that NCL having admitted to screwing up will be upsetting for you, but just try not to think about it for a day, and stay away from this thread.  You'll feel better for it, promise! 🙂"

To be clear, your presence on here is delightful, and providing much needed diversion!

Edited by podgeandrodge
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

To be clear, your presence on here is delightful, and providing much needed diversion!

Thanks. Hope all goes well with your passport issue (I saw your separate thread on that a while ago).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

A product is a product.  It's never okay to provide less - not without compensation. 

These people are due compensation for the days they were not provided with what was purchased in advance and I'm glad at least some are getting cash instead of FCC.

I couldn't care less how difficult it is to value the missing parts of a package. 

Refund and compensation are different

Failure to deliver requires refund.

Compensation is damages resulting from the failure.

• Like 2

It all depends how things are worded. If you go to a car lot and buy a car with super fancy tires, and then come back the next day to pick the car up and they've switched the tires to cheapies, you better make sure your contract says the fancy tires are part of the deal, otherwise the dealer can just say you bought a car and it has tires on it. If it's not in writing, you're up a creek. NCL and other cruise lines are lawyered up 6 ways to Sunday, they have all kinds of leeway in case they can't offer something and good luck proving you were somehow aggrieved because you couldn't get a G&T for part of the day a few times during your 7-day cruise. Ain't happening. What you *think* you're entitled to and what the contract says, are two different things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As a UK cruiser I see this very simply.

If I’m sold an unlimited open bar as part of a cruise, then I expect an unlimited open bar. That’s what is advertised over here and that’s what was delivered when I sailed on the Norwegian Star last Autumn out of Southampton.

I’m not bothered how the unlimited open bar is packaged and sold in the USA. I am not a US customer and never will be.

If there is no unlimited bar when sailing out of the UK – whether that is for a few hours, a few days or the whole cruise – then I expect the cruise company to put that right.

NCL can decide to put that right in a way that satisfies their customers (ideally speedily, because ill-feeling festers when problems are not resolved quickly enough).

Alternatively they can annoy and upset people further, as they appear to have done. Their choice.

I don’t actually care very much what problems NCL have had with the UK authorities, between last Autumn and now. That should be their worry, not mine, although honesty and transparency matter - at least in my book.

If NCL want to retain the option of not delivering the unlimited open bar in certain ports, without compensating customers, then perhaps they should amend their T&Cs so everyone knows where they stand, and those who dislike that sort of treatment can take their custom elsewhere.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

If I’m sold an unlimited open bar as part of a cruise, then I expect an unlimited open bar. That’s what is advertised over here and that’s what was delivered when I sailed on the Norwegian Star last Autumn out of Southampton.

I’m not bothered how the unlimited open bar is packaged and sold in the USA. I am not a US customer and never will be.

If there is no unlimited bar when sailing out of the UK – whether that is for a few hours, a few days or the whole cruise – then I expect the cruise company to put that right.

NCL can decide to put that right in a way that satisfies their customers (ideally speedily, because ill-feeling festers when problems are not resolved quickly enough).

Alternatively they can annoy and upset people further, as they appear to have done. Their choice.

I don’t actually care very much what problems NCL have had with the UK authorities, between last Autumn and now. That should be their worry, not mine, although honesty and transparency matter - at least in my book.

If NCL want to retain the option of not delivering the unlimited open bar in certain ports, without compensating customers, then perhaps they should amend their T&Cs so everyone knows where they stand, and those who dislike that sort of treatment can take their custom elsewhere.

This American understands, and agrees with what you've said. I apologize for my more difficult brethren. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

The 2pax rate was just x2 around $1600 included FAS and service for a 10n cruise

Easy to find high prices. 

Thousands is plural 2k+

And I can just as easily (and more prevalent) find cruises for two people in the THOUSANDS. 

I can't believe someone is actually arguing that the vast majority of cruises aren't THOUSANDS.

Oh, well...I'm done with this. If you want to keep kicking the dead horse, go for it.

Bye/cheerio.

• Like 2

Whether you are from the UK, the US, China, Australia, etc is irrelevant. Everyone who pays for a vacation deserves to get what he/she paid for. I don't think that is in dispute at all. What matters is what you agree to. If the company agrees to provide something and doesn't, then the passenger/guest should say something. How the company reacts depends on several factors, it seems to me. Part of it is what the company is contractually obliged to provide, and part of it is what the company might do in order to protect its reputation and keep its guests happy. A cruise line may sell you a cabin with a bed, shower, toilet, and closet space. It doesn't guarantee a bed that fits someone who is 6 ft 11 inches, it doesn't guarantee enough closet space for 20 dresses and suits, nor does it guarantee the water won't scald you or that the toilet flushes fast enough, or that the pillows won't cause an allergic reaction. Literally 1,000s of people are onboard every sailing of megaships, so there's no way in the world they can satisfy every taste, condition, or preference every single time. Sometimes ports are skipped, sometimes the hot tub is out of commission, sometimes your favorite scotch or champagne are out of stock, sometimes they have to change the Broadway show they're featuring, sometimes they shut down the pools for maintenance or rough seas, etc. On and on it goes. If a cruise line has to make changes, you agreed to them in the T&C's, I guarantee it. But there's nothing wrong with expressing your displeasure if things go wrong and trusting/hoping the cruise line will offer you something. Just don't assume you have a right to it, because there, you're on thin ice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Literally 1,000s of people are onboard every sailing of megaships, so there's no way in the world they can satisfy every taste, condition, or preference every single time. 

Better be careful loosely throwing around the term "1,000s". Someone on this board will say it's actually 100s. And then spend half a day trying to come up with data to prove you wrong. 🤪

• Haha 4

You know, I really don't expect NCL to care about my opinions, or whether I cruise with them again.

I mainly look for late bargains and to NCL I'm just a cabin-filler with limited value. I have little loyalty to any one cruise line and I'm happy take my custom elsewhere if I don't like the attitude of a particular company. Plenty of choice ex-UK.

NCL aren't the only cruise company that have annoyed me in almost 30 years of cruising but their cack-handed handling of 'Drinksgate' is the worst cruise company PR I've seen in a very, very long time. I feel really sorry for the mostly lovely staff on board who get the brunt of the ****.

I guess one question is, does NCL care about the more valuable customers who are regularly shelling out their hard-earned cash for more premium cabins, expensive excursions and the like, and who feel let down? Maybe ultimately it doesn't matter how NCL treats people. 🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Norwayfan1 said:

----

I guess one question is, does NCL care about the more valuable customers who are regularly shelling out their hard-earned cash for more premium cabins, expensive excursions and the like, and who feel let down? Maybe ultimately it doesn't matter how NCL treats people. 🤔

Not really.  Just look and find posts where they have proclaimed "I'm a Platinum/Saphire/Diamond and NCL doesn't __________!"   Read these posts all the time.  While NCL certainly appreciates return customers, they just want bodies in those cabins.  And they want to sell more stuff to those bodies in those cabins in any way they can.

But this happens in  ALL cruise lines.  Just visit other forums.  Same complaints.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Maybe ultimately it doesn't matter how NCL treats people. 

There will always be new customers,

and those willing to pay for things and not receive them. 

And/or have extra fees and taxes added once they're on board. 

Apparently. 

• Like 3

This has gone from somewhat interesting to ridiculous and insulting!  

You’re on the U.S. Cruise Critic site, and decide to offend those of us who are in North America trying to help.  Whatever issues you are having are specific to the U.K. 

Maybe get help here…..

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Remember that NCL terms and conditions can't override the package travel regulations which protect consumers booking cruises.

• Like 1