Review - Sydney to the South Pacific on the Splendor

Pre-Covid, Lifou had the best snorkeling in the South Pacific at Jinek Bay.  After seeing the coral regenerate during the pandemic and cruise ship ban, the Island’s Chief has made the decision to close Jinek Bay indefinitely.

My plan was to snorkel off the main beach this time around.  When I arrived on the island, I was the first on the beach with the exception of a local man with a machete (for coconuts).  I decided that it was too early for beach time and went for a walk instead.

Fortunately, I came across two cruisers who wanted to walk up to the Church on the hill but were lost and asked me for directions.  I said sure but would you mind if I joined you?  (Our walk to Jinek Bay last time was on the way to the church).  It was something I wanted to do but I didn’t feel

comfortable doing solo.

DD01B8CE-7DB0-4690-A18F-2E31AAA3E8C2.thumb.jpeg.07fc6d09980cd12b35edce3cb8638e13.jpeg

From this spot, you head up the road, turn left and just follow the road along.  It was hot & humid already so we were thankful that we did it first thing when there was still shade.  We didn’t see anyone else for ages, so I was thankful for the lovely ladies company.  

Eventually we started seeing cruisers walking back from the church, looking hot & very sweaty.  Doing this walk is very popular but we still asked the cruisers their opinions which varied but they all groaned about the stairs at the end….

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Love the pictures! Too bad the video is one of those nasty mov files.😉😁

Thought that might be the case.  I can see them but wasn’t sure if anyone else could.  DD only took videos when we went last time and I wasn’t going to climb those 247 stairs this time, not even for CC 😀

3 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Thought that might be the case.  I can see them but wasn’t sure if anyone else could.  DD only took videos when we went last time and I wasn’t going to climb those 247 stairs this time, not even for CC 😀

I want to go just to climb the lighthouse!

Since the pandemic, an enterprising local now sits at the base of the stairs to the Church with a sign saying $3 entry.  There had been complaints about this in cruise groups but geez if you can afford a cruise surely you can make a “donation”.  The ladies wanted to pay $5 each so we did that.

Then we climbed the stairs, which were short and sharp and easy for us three and reached the small church which was open.

Views from the top were lovely.

887F597E-AD7B-4892-B816-452864F66AC1.jpeg.1477c55b593ba78f61daf42d4417757f.jpeg

FAE5667D-7F82-4285-A207-91BF9FB1137B.thumb.jpeg.65b42dcdb2a15d0d09144c543f2cbd2c.jpeg

Jinek Bay - we passed the barricaded off entrance as we walked up to the church.

29B2F634-E363-447E-8D03-A0701F3B0032.thumb.jpeg.1e6f3b748d9ed194d5da99890f3cb997.jpeg

• Like 4

We walked back down to the main beach which is divided by the tender wharf.  Looking at the ship, we went to right hand side part of the beach.  Had been told in advance via cruise forums that Reef Shoes are a 

MUST for this beach.  Man, they weren’t kidding.  This beach was full of coral from the waters edge.  

Unfortunately, it was also low tide so snorkeling over the coral without cutting yourself was virtually impossible.  So back out of the water to relax on the very busy beach.

My new cruise friend was hungry so bought one of these from a local on the beach next to us.8C76B26B-AA25-4C5F-838A-A47BBD3B2CAC.thumb.jpeg.38246dafd8382a250c1e24cf098529d8.jpeg

And said it was delicious. Me, I was hungry but wasn’t going to risk eating chicken that was basted by sauce out of a tin of unknown vintage, so I said goodbye to my new friends and headed back to the tenders.

Had the pleasure of seeing two turtles in the beautiful blue waters on the way back to the ship.

• Like 4

Whilst eating early lunch at the Lido Buffet, Lizzy our Cruise Director announced tenders tickets now no longer required.  Yay!  Headed back down to deck 1 forward to immediately board a near empty tender to head back to Lifou.FA9DF813-420C-4B6B-B25A-FC4F1183C004.thumb.jpeg.975c2980330eecd94afa8d8530395180.jpeg

9CEDE110-D7EC-43A6-B9E8-72F91F8F265F.thumb.jpeg.6e5ddc2bb643c3f2c3534b5e86c6af33.jpeg

0022CECD-0B4D-4A78-98C7-689D9B5C8197.thumb.jpeg.3e8770ef952cfea4f67b0284c6099962.jpeg

This time I headed to the section of the beach on the right of the wharf after you got off the tender.

The water here was deeper, more sandy and had sea grass with turtles and coral out further with fish.

Spent a very pleasant afternoon with my fellow cruisers, snorkeling and swimming on a glorious afternoon in Lifou.

When we were all back on the ship, we had the first of many lovely sunsets, which I happily watched from a POD on deck 10 before dinner.

That night we had the hypnotist in the main theatre and there were a lot of cruisers who volunteered…

• Like 3

Currency in Lifou - they will accept AUD in small

notes. AUD coins are useless to them because their bank won’t accept them (not sure what the local at the church steps  did with all the coin donations- that’s why we each gave a $5 note).  

Hair braiding by locals is popular here and there is a small bar/open eatery just above the beach that was popular.  A local lady was selling lovely looking cocktails with a potent level of alcohol for $20 AUD.

• Thanks 1

Forgot to mention that the night before we arrived at Lifou, we received this notice in our cabin letterbox:

6EDCD4B9-85B6-4372-AC91-2C6D53805CA3.thumb.jpeg.81d5062f5a8307d99bca361c5beaa615.jpeg

On the the way back from the church we passed a family group walking to the church and one of the adults had clearly decided to ignore this request regarding dressing appropriately.

17 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Forgot to mention that the night before we arrived at Lifou, we received this notice in our cabin letterbox:

6EDCD4B9-85B6-4372-AC91-2C6D53805CA3.thumb.jpeg.81d5062f5a8307d99bca361c5beaa615.jpeg

On the the way back from the church we passed a family group walking to the church and one of the adults had clearly decided to ignore this request regarding dressing appropriately.

My DH and I are always respectful, wearing shirts and shorts when not swimming or sunning at the beach.  When I read the Carnival notice to him he asked if Lifou was a Muslim country.  I'm amazed you saw an adult not adhering to the stipulations from Carnival.

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Yes, you must be vaccinated.   Yes, you must have  insurance covering Covid if you are stopping at a South Pacific port - this was relevant to the ports I visited  - Noumea, Lifou, Mystery Island (& Vila which we didn’t) and the countries needed to be specified on your insurance.  

I do not know if it applies to any other ports in the region.

I would be having a conversation with your TA or calling your cruise line.

I'm enjoying following along @aussielozzie18.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

My DH and I are always respectful, wearing shirts and shorts when not swimming or sunning at the beach.  When I read the Carnival notice to him he asked if Lifou was a Muslim country.  I'm amazed you saw an adult not adhering to the stipulations from Carnival.

No, not Muslim as far as I am aware.  There is always one.  Disappointing, especially as the cruiser was a parent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

No, not Muslim as far as I am aware.  There is always one.  Disappointing, especially as the cruiser was a parent.

And the disregard for other cultures gets passed down to another generation.😪

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

The manner of dress surprises me thought. I always pictured the South Pacific Islands as layed back, casual, with minimum clothing and beach oriented. I'm not sure how I developed that idea. Maybe from watching movies as a kid?

However, I certainly would have heeded the info from the cruise line.

• Like 4

Next port was MYSTERY ISLAND, Vanuatu.  One of my favourite ports.  

Another tender port.  Before the water shuttles/tenders commenced, Lizzie made an announcement that the current today was very strong and that any snorkelers should not go far from the beach.

Again, I was on one of the first tenders, travelling across with me were a group of 20yo who had volunteered to be hypnotised last night on stage and it was interesting to hear their experiences.

The crew took ages to secure the tender at Mystery Island but it was worth the wait.

2D5900A3-70F2-441C-A5C3-07909EC5D2AE.thumb.jpeg.921dc2764a1c80396412d88eec0603fb.jpeg

C33AC7F6-E1A1-4ED7-8CDD-8DE4ABA343C4.thumb.jpeg.b205e575e80935a77f24f2eb9a9b4fdb.jpeg

199385A1-F753-4DC3-88AC-93556F61C572.thumb.jpeg.464268678910164129bdce9c0d8aec9f.jpeg

66B56CA7-7D5E-40F7-8614-467030BA094C.thumb.jpeg.f5eb067afeb3a055e5d05f96ba0eeee6.jpeg

• Like 7

Mystery Island is uninhabited.  The name of the island is Inyeug but I have only ever heard it called Mystery Island.  On the morning of cruise day, a lot of the locals of the nearby island, Aneityum travel across the water  to Mystery Island in their small boats to work on the island and offer a variety of tours.

My cruising friend who cruises to the South Pacific annually with her partner tells me the massages offered here are the best in the South Pacific.

• Like 1

Currency - the locals here will accept AUD in small denominations.  Again, no coins as they can’t be banked.  I just take $5 notes.

Carnival offers village tours to the island where the locals come from as well as stand up paddle board, clear kayak and drift snorkel tours.

Plenty of these tours also offered by the locals when you arrive on the island at a much cheaper rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My plan for the day was to snorkel.  I walked to the side of the island where I had done some excellent snorkeling previously.  Only a few cruisers on the beach at this stage.  I stepped into the beautiful water, that was deep, felt that very strong current and promptly exited the water again.

I am a strong swimmer and was wearing flippers but I felt unsafe.

Got out of the water and whilst I was sitting on my towel a young family sat down near me.  I walked over to the dad and reminded him of the ship announcement and told him about the strength of the current and not to let his kids out of their depth and to keep a firm eye on them.

I then decided to walk across to the other side of the island.  A couple of snorkellers were in the water here.  I watched them for a while and then joined them but again the current was too strong and this side of the island was rocky close the waters edge which wasn’t great so out of the water again.

As I sat on my towel, I watched a glass bottom kayak group arrive and thought this could be interesting.

Watched the local lead the group off, most of the kayakers did well to follow him but one double kayak had no clue about paddling and were really struggling.  The tour leader was way ahead.  Hoped there was a second local with them.  Finally, saw a local boat move off the beach into the water and follow behind that last double kayak.

Decided to walk along the beach and follow the kayakers.  Reached the tip of the island where I came across a local who was security and the grass airstrip built by American military personnel.3E6E51B0-3C2B-48E1-9290-28A168572CDD.thumb.jpeg.cceaec60db09b5fbea5d87913eedbea2.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Currency - the locals here will accept AUD in small denominations.  Again, no coins as they can’t be banked.  I just take $5 notes.

Carnival offers village tours to the island where the locals come from as well as stand up paddle board, clear kayak and drift snorkel tours.

Plenty of these tours also offered by the locals when you arrive on the island at a much cheaper rate.

How are there village tours if the island is uninhibited?

Walked right around the island.  There is a nice sandy path with greenery on either side.

Past one of the toilets

3FCA5DCE-5B54-4A15-9A5C-FA95DA4DE7AA.thumb.jpeg.90a2d0db0f01b42595cff677d5213671.jpeg

Past the Tiki bar and loungers that can be booked prior to the cruise for either a 3hr morning or afternoon session.  Includes loungers, 3 drinks, snacks and a 30min massage.34E7D082-DB0A-4129-831D-F92B2F177C22.thumb.jpeg.4b2e492cc01f8049af6446096ef3a85c.jpeg

And to the area behind where we got off the tenders where a local selling cooked food and had set up tables.  It was a very popular. I ordered a pineapple or banana cake for $5.  It was basically the fruit wrapped in a cake and it was delish.  Tried to find some Tusk(er) (sp) local beer that my friend recommended but couldn’t so I headed back to the beach.

• Like 1

Returned to the first beach and saw snorkelers in the northern  end.  Watched them for a while, then joined them.  The water level had dropped and the current was taking you towards the beach - so safer.  Plenty of colourful fish and coral.  The current was still strong so if you wanted to hover over the coral, you really had to kick against the current to do that.  Otherwise you just allowed the strong current to take you rapidly over all the coral until you ended up 3/4 of the way down the beach.  Got out of the water and walked all the way back to where you originally entered the water and did it all over again.  Myself and my fellow snorkelers did that multiple times.8755B4BD-6F89-4D79-9BE6-B19C9D9AB98C.thumb.jpeg.2e4283b81ef4b22aa1ce3fc76c3eaacb.jpeg

5B03CCA6-1549-4BFE-8C99-A40A3F87E6B2.thumb.jpeg.fdefdfa82d45d57db186bc295dadbe19.jpeg

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3

After having my fill of snorkeling, I walked around the beach area right next to the tenders.  It was really hot now.  I envied those cruisers who had hired umbrellas from the locals and were set up along the beach.

The water next to the tender wharf was glorious and lots of cruisers were relaxing in the water around me.  

Sadly there was a medical emergency that occurred very close to the tender wharf and could be seen from where we were.  I won’t go into details but despite the best efforts from many people on the beach,  the cruiser passed away.  Those who were involved in the extended attempt to resuscitate the cruiser were offered counselling by Carnival.

After this sombre event, I headed back to the ship.54716BC4-D753-4ADD-AA5E-D6571F6680B2.thumb.jpeg.98d7886225239098693ef0f26d6329c9.jpeg

D7F9C244-B3E8-461C-A9C1-6AAD7C9A33B3.thumb.jpeg.19919452dfc9dbb80a754a6ab47c490c.jpeg

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

After having my fill of snorkeling, I walked around the beach area right next to the tenders.  It was really hot now.  I envied those cruisers who had hired umbrellas from the locals and were set up along the beach.

The water next to the tender wharf was glorious and lots of cruisers were relaxing in the water around me.  

Sadly there was a medical emergency that occurred very close to the tender wharf and could be seen from where we were.  I won’t go into details but despite the best efforts from many people on the beach,  the cruiser passed away.  Those who were involved in the extended attempt to resuscitate the cruiser were offered counselling by Carnival.

After this somber event, I headed back to the ship.54716BC4-D753-4ADD-AA5E-D6571F6680B2.thumb.jpeg.98d7886225239098693ef0f26d6329c9.jpeg

D7F9C244-B3E8-461C-A9C1-6AAD7C9A33B3.thumb.jpeg.19919452dfc9dbb80a754a6ab47c490c.jpeg

That's awful.  I'm so sorry that happened.  Praying for the family of the person who passed.

• Thanks 1