Review - Sydney to the South Pacific on the Splendor

After dinner, I returned to my cabin to find this notice. 752EF6BA-9E09-4E74-A4BA-7EAEFF2A9072.thumb.jpeg.ae49f0db0d322c86b2211320fd46cd4e.jpeg

This cruise was originally scheduled to visit the island of Mare but this port is currently closed as I believe they are doing repairs on the island.  Another beautiful island (Isle of Pines is currently closed since the pandemic as Island Chief wants to protect his islanders from Covid).

So, we were visiting Noumea, the Capital of New Caledonia again but this time on a Sunday when a lot of shops etc are closed.

There were a lot less Carnival tours available on the Sunday too.  

I had originally booked a local tour online prior to the cruise to Signal Island.  For $90, a water taxi takes you out to this island (far enough away from Nouméa that swimming/snorkeling is still permitted) and then returns to collect you 3hrs later.  I had booked a 10.30am taxi that would return me to Nouméa at 1.30pm. The small sandy  island has no inhabitants and no infrastructure at all.  You need to take plenty of water and food which the tour operator suggested you buy from the supermarket across the road from the tour departure point.

The appeal of the island is the turtles and indeed a fellow cruiser who went ahead on the day I had booked (then cancelled) excitedly reported he has seen a lot of turtles.

Since my first Carnival Tour had been cancelled and I still had OBC to use up, I went to the tour desk to book another tour.  Yellow Tchou Tchou Train for $72pp and got the last ticket for my preferred time.

Note: The locals run a much cheaper green Tchou Tchou for much less and you can pay in AUD.

The yellow Tchou Tchou picks you at the ship.  You have a friendly guide narrating and the tour runs for 1 1/2 hrs and gives you a good overview of Nouméa.

• Like 4

You can enjoy  the sites from whenever you sit but  the best side of the train for photos is on the right as the train travels in a loop route with the beaches and church and Palm fringed beach walks all on the right.  I unfortunately chose the left.  I had a lovely mum and her gorgeous toddler next to me and every photo I took when we were in the train, has the adorable staring directly at the camera.

I showed my DD my attempted photos of Bae de Citron (Lemon Bay) and the beach area off Chateau Royal and she burst out laughing at my cute photobomber 😀

Driving around Noumea on a bright yellow train meant everyone waved at you which was really sweet.  Every car also tooted their horn…

We had two photo stops, one for 3mins at the waters edge and one for 10mins at a scenic lookout.36573F69-CD83-4BDF-9015-2A5043EC1204.thumb.jpeg.149c88af652f1ed9baac1cdc10ab86b6.jpeg

08A168F6-6CB5-4BAB-9C6B-2E394B8D2B5B.thumb.jpeg.1656cc8688991779c7995bdc2d2da0c8.jpeg

E15531DA-081E-45B9-A7FE-C98CBA902608.thumb.jpeg.4687154e7d4958a1e901656d15a482c3.jpeg

0FB67791-F165-4ACC-8AD1-0CDA61F20A1A.thumb.jpeg.cecf895a72170fbf52356fe65042fb8f.jpeg

The guide did point out the wharf at Chateau Royale where the Australian tourist was recently tragically taken by a shark in the water next to the wharf.  It was scary to see that he wasn’t that far out.

Looks overcast but it was hot and humid at the top of the hill.  The Tchou Tchou though was very pleasant to travel in.

This tour offers a good overview of Nouméa city & beaches for a first timers and would have been a good option for those with mobility issues.

Cheaper though to book direct with the locals for their green version.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3

The next two days were sea days cruising back to Sydney.  

2nd last day was HOT.  We had an ice carver on the main pool deck who was carving in the full midday heat whilst everyone else was seeking shade.  Eventually, she handed the duties over to one of the Chef to finish and I was worried she was going to pass out.

The big screen by the pool deck had a disappointing selection of movies imo.

One afternoon, I and many other adults without kids ended up watching Lyle Lyle Crocodile which was a sweet movie - well the first part that I watched was.

One of the evening movies was Jurassic Park: Dominion which I watched part of.  That night was chilly on the pool deck, so the Carnival blankies that you could check out were appreciated but popcorn was $4.00.

• Like 2

Final Sea Day, was a little bumpy, like the first Sea Day had been.  I don’t get seasick and it felt like a ripple to me but the sea sick bags came out and some of my fellow cruises went down to medical on the first sea day  for the seasick injection $190.00.

Main pool was closed but Serenity pool remained open.  Cute to see all the towel animals around the main pool, when I got up for an early breakfast.D3A78DE4-55BD-4F6A-B424-1ECD36ADA7BB.thumb.jpeg.97018c232567bc8278ed858b08e1565a.jpeg

7A994813-7FD1-4D55-BE3E-95A515570D40.thumb.jpeg.03f572ed31f01eb35c43833bd2777299.jpeg

72C399C8-ECBB-4C63-A08C-F1A88F0C59F8.thumb.jpeg.b7b015a58514e1b104c2e09fe5ef3dd3.jpeg

244366E2-D04C-4E32-A06B-EE1285E56908.thumb.jpeg.29889c209e70cf480f2615760d2a7030.jpeg

• Like 6

I spent the day relaxing on the outdoor loungers of the non-smoking area of deck 10.

Also, spent the last $12 of my remaining $12.77 OBC on a large block of milka chocolate with oreos.  

On the main pool deck, the kids & granddads had fun building ships.  I loved how technical  the grandads got explaining the models and how much pleasure it gave them building with their grandkids.

Because the main pool was closed, Lizzie took all the contestants upstairs to the spa in the above deck to test their float ability.

Had my first ever Guy Fieri burger for lunch from the pool deck.

We had the best sunset of the entire cruise that evening.  I had decided to go to the atrium before dinner to watch a talented 3-piece electric violin trio perform in entirety as I had enjoyed snatches  of their performances throughout the cruiseDC3A9001-BD1A-402B-A3D4-9100E614854E.thumb.jpeg.4d60d5415396e99a675b6761d9831b86.jpeg

So it wasn’t until I was being seated in the MDR that I saw the stunning sunset and kicked myself that I missed it.

Seated with two friendly couples and had another delicious meal in MDR (all had been delish throughout the cruise) Entree: Crocodile Main: Steak. Dessert:  Baked Alaska.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1

I always choose self disembark as I am capable and I usually head straight into the office after the cruise.

Wasnt going into the office because I knew I needed a day to get my land legs this time.

Self-disembark was painful from Deck 5 forward.  Long lines for lifts and lifts constantly full.  Lesson learnt that if I am ever on a lower deck again, to take the luggage up to a higher deck first.

Ended up giving up in frustration and carried my heavy suitcase (the taxi driver actually groaned) down two flights of stairs to deck 3.  The mum ahead wasn’t happy when her suitcase toppled down the stairs….

Forgot to mention that the theme nights were Island Nights, White Night and 80s and it was fun seeing all my fellow cruisers dressed up for the late night parties for these.

About 30 of my fellow cruises tested positive to Covid as soon as  they got home.  This is not surprising on cruises longer than 7 days imo.  Thankfully I tested negative.

Had a fab cruise.  Friendly cruisers meant a lovely solo cruise.  For an autumn cruise, I definitely overpacked.  Didn’t find the Interior of the ship cool.  Only needed a jacket for nights on the deck.  Weather was shorts and dresses weather.  Water temperature at all ports was just lovely.

So, that ends my cruise review.  .  Next cruises booked are  short cruises on Majestic Princess and Ovation. I would like to do a Carnival cruise to Moreton Island.  There is also the strong possibility of a NCL cruise with my daughter.

Plenty to look forward to and thanks for following along.25A4E9FF-40D9-42EE-BEA7-3F0C256E5F76.thumb.jpeg.df6e6bbac390d48f961f38fd2762cc38.jpeg

633F8F9A-7AEB-4E65-8628-3B7F41ED8ABA.thumb.jpeg.82a2c5761b32b593c4d6fe97bce60dba.jpeg

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 5/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, aussielozzie18 said:

My cruising friend who cruises to the South Pacific annually with her partner tells me the massages offered here are the best in the South Pacific.

I was here on RCI Ovation, the end of March. I don’t ever get massages, but for $15USD for 30 mins, I couldn’t resist. It was a pretty fine massage, although there were a couple of spots I had to tell her to be a bit more gentle. 😬

• Haha 1

Thanks for your detailed review. I was just wandering, you can pre purchase bottled water and have it delivered to your room before coming onboard? I can see that you can order the beverage gift package but I'm not interested in the cooler bag, cups etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stella2015 said:

Thanks for your detailed review. I was just wandering, you can pre purchase bottled water and have it delivered to your room before coming onboard? I can see that you can order the beverage gift package but I'm not interested in the cooler bag, cups etc.

Sorry.  I don’t have the answer for you on this.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:19 PM, aussielozzie18 said:

After having my fill of snorkeling, I walked around the beach area right next to the tenders.  It was really hot now.  I envied those cruisers who had hired umbrellas from the locals and were set up along the beach.

The water next to the tender wharf was glorious and lots of cruisers were relaxing in the water around me.  

Sadly there was a medical emergency that occurred very close to the tender wharf and could be seen from where we were.  I won’t go into details but despite the best efforts from many people on the beach,  the cruiser passed away.  Those who were involved in the extended attempt to resuscitate the cruiser were offered counselling by Carnival.

After this sombre event, I headed back to the ship.54716BC4-D753-4ADD-AA5E-D6571F6680B2.thumb.jpeg.98d7886225239098693ef0f26d6329c9.jpeg

D7F9C244-B3E8-461C-A9C1-6AAD7C9A33B3.thumb.jpeg.19919452dfc9dbb80a754a6ab47c490c.jpeg

Amazing photos.

I'm so sorry to hear about the cruiser who sadly died.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much!!!...Enjoyed your Review and all the Tips.

An Australia Cruise is a 'Bucket List' Item for us and having been on the Carnival Splendor 3 times in North America (Twice out of Long Beach, CA and once out of Miami, FL) we miss that Ship, even miss all the Pink 🙂 

Thanks again!!! 

• Thanks 1

Nice review, thanks for doing it.  I was surprised to read about the covid requirements.  Is there a mandatory number of vaccines required to cruise?  Is the pre cruise quick test readily available?

Thanks so much for the review!!
We are on this same cruise on June 30 and I hadn’t been able to find many reviews of the ship so this was great to read! 
Have sailed South Pacific numerous times and was great to see pictures that are now so familiar to me! 
Regarding the swimming in Noumea - I had seen a post on their tourism website a few weeks ago stating they had roped off a small (200m) area of Lemon Bay - patrolled by lifeguards - between 8.45 and 4 - for swimming. This was as of May 5? Did you see this? 
For those who’ve asked, Covid testing and immunisation is still a mandatory requirement sailing out of Australia. 
You can test using a RAT - available at any chemist or supermarket - as long as you take a photo of the negative result along with your ID and proof of date - you will be fine. These rules are being reviewed in July - so not sure what the outcome will be in terms of relaxing them from then on.