"Carnival Map Channel" - something's missing !

Not only because there's so little offered on the TV's onboard, but I'll often keep the map channel running on the TV when we're in the room. It has a fair bit of interesting info - giving you an overview as to your location and conditions.

Staring at it now, I'm faced with the reality that we're at our final stop of our ABC itinerary... 😞

i-zjkwDLK-XL.jpg

i-5gpsQmN-XL.jpg

I so wish the Bridge Cam feeds were still available for everyone to view online, and not only be enjoyed by those on the ship. Giving folks stuck on land something to look forward to !

i-JL9SwQ8-XL.jpg

OK, back to what I noticed is missing...

On that channel they dutifully note the following (rotating through on the lower banner):

Sunrise at present position 

Sunset at present position

Sea depth

Present wind speed

Present air pressure

Total distance sailed

Those are useful bits of info (well, air pressure not so much, IMO). But, why do they no longer show the AIR TEMPERATURE ? I mean, yes, everyone who has ventured out onto the islands knows/understands that it's hot as hell out there. I'd personally like to see that info on this screen to help assign some value to the discomfort we've endured (or will endure)! Perhaps that's it, they don't want to discourage people from heading out, taking excursions, etc, if they see that it's 95 degrees or something outside?

OK - I'm obviously just killing a little time here with these musings - as we prepare to head out. Perhaps I should take along the "little gift" we received with you our cabana to help cope with the HEAT!  😄

i-HrpmZ5b-XL.jpg

Tom

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

We had that on our cruise on the Mardi Gras in January. I wonder if it varies from ship to ship? 

I seem to also recall it on the Mardi Gras (2/27).

Perhaps it's just a cut to save on expenses, lol.

Tom

• Haha 3

I noticed it’s different on every ship. I use this channel a lot as well. We went on Freedom, Ecstasy, and Mardi Gras last year and each one had different info provided. I can’t remember which one, but one of them didn’t even provide the current speed lol 

• Like 1

And... you can't necessarily trust what's displayed there. I assume this is a totally separate system than what they use to navigate - otherwise we'd need a FULL STOP in the below image - out in the middle of the ocean!  BTW, just a few minutes earlier, depth was 10,000+ ft.... then 5 minutes later it was 500...

i-Lk3D8rB-XL.jpg

Tom 

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2023 at 12:25 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

And... you can't necessarily trust what's displayed there. I assume this is a totally separate system than what they use to navigate - otherwise we'd need a FULL STOP in the below image - out in the middle of the ocean!  BTW, just a few minutes earlier, depth was 10,000+ ft.... then 5 minutes later it was 500...

i-Lk3D8rB-XL.jpg

Tom 

Sonar probably hit a fish, whale, or something so it appeared shallower than it really is.  That being said, I've seen plenty of spots where a shelf causes it to go from 200-5000 ft in 20 ft.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Sonar probably hit a fish, whale, or something so it appeared shallower than it really is.  That being said, I've seen plenty of spots where a shelf causes it to go from 200-5000 ft in 20 ft.

Many years ago on the Victory, I noticed the ship was swinging back and forth a lot while anchored at Half Moon Cay.  I asked the Captain about it during the BtF Tour and he smiled and said "The forward anchor was in forty feet of water.  The aft anchor was in in four HUNDRED feet of water."   Quite a range just within the length of the ship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

Many years ago on the Victory, I noticed the ship was swinging back and forth a lot while anchored at Half Moon Cay.  I asked the Captain about it during the BtF Tour and he smiled and said "The forward anchor was in forty feet of water.  The aft anchor was in in four HUNDRED feet of water."   Quite a range just within the length of the ship.  

Exactly.  We were snorkeling in Grand Cayman and we were in about 15-20 ft of water, the guide said the dark area which was easily within swimming distance is where it dropped to 3000 ft.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Exactly.  We were snorkeling in Grand Cayman and we were in about 15-20 ft of water, the guide said the dark area

which was easily within swimming distance

is where it dropped to 3000 ft.  

The island is perched on the edge of a 'wall'

Caymans deep.JPG

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

The island is perched on the edge of a 'wall'

Caymans deep.JPG

Yep - there are some steep drops out there (picturing cliffs on land).

The lowest I saw the depth go to (open ocean, full speed) was 36'. I would not imagine that they'd be flying over depths like that, but I'm not a mariner!

Tom

• Like 1