Wifi and Starlink on Millennium

TickledBlue

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the $7 pp/day flash sale upgrade from basic to premium wifi on our September trans-Pacific cruise on the Millie.  I think it would be worth it if the performance would really allow streaming as advertised, especially on such a sea day heavy cruise.

I was on the Summit in late 2021, definitely pre-Starlink days, with Elite premium wifi and the performance was terrible even with 50% ship capacity.   I'm certain that even basic Starlink would perform better than that.

Searching through these forums, it looks like Starlink was scheduled to be installed on the Millie last March.  Could anyone tell me their recent experience with premium wifi on this ship?

7 minutes ago, TickledBlue said:

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the $7 pp/day flash sale upgrade from basic to premium wifi on our September trans-Pacific cruise on the Millie.  I think it would be worth it if the performance would really allow streaming as advertised, especially on such a sea day heavy cruise.

I was on the Summit in late 2021, definitely pre-Starlink days, with Elite premium wifi and the performance was terrible even with 50% ship capacity.   I'm certain that even basic Starlink would perform better than that.

Searching through these forums, it looks like Starlink was scheduled to be installed on the Millie last March.  Could anyone tell me their recent experience with premium wifi on this ship?

Last month the basic was so-so, and the streaming wasn't too bad with the exception of one day due to ship location. It wasn't super fast, but certainly usable for my needs. what "fast" is, is very subjective.

Edited by RTShaker

They seem to throttle it way down even on the Beyond...My speed tests rarely broke 3mbps down or up in April and someone was doing a live review and was closer to 4mbps

Assuming there's a steady connection, 4mbps will handle most things other than huge file transfers

At the end of the day it's what, about $100 or  $7 x 14?  If you're already thinking about it just buy it now and you could cancel later if you change your mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TickledBlue said:

On Millie in late March, with Premium I was consistently getting just under 5Mbps down and just under 3Mbps up. It was plenty fast for all my needs.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TickledBlue said:

In my humble opinion, yes it is worth it if you need streaming.  

I documented my daily speeds for our Apirl - May Millennium sailing and was never displeased with the Premium WiFi service.  I was able to str3eam NetFlix, YouTube, etc. as well as post pictures on the cruise. 

My understanding is that fellow passengers with the basic WiFi struggled due to the lower speeds that basic WiFi seems to be capped at.