Disembark time for train in Vancouver, BC

NitaBcruising

I am doing Crown on 6/23 to 7/4. I was hoping to take the train from Vancouver, BC to Vancouver, WA on this day. However, the latest train is 11:30 am. I read on the Princess site that flights have to be 4 1/2 hours after ship's arrival, which would then be at noon. However, we wouldn't need to be 2 hours early to the train, so maybe the 11:30 train will work? I hate to stress! I'll also have to decide if we're up to schleppping our luggage off, to get off early! We are 2 gals, not young anymore, LOL! 

But, staying another night in Vancouver, adds about $300 more. 

Any experience with this? 

TIA!!!

Nita

Here is the disembarkment schedule from this week. People were getting off around 8 am (it shows 7:45 as earliest time).

I was at my airport gate by around 10 am.

image.thumb.jpeg.ea3b6fffe34f6629818fc3479d4f495a.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

Here is the disembarkment schedule from this week. People were getting off around 8 am (it shows 7:45 as earliest time).

Thank you so much! 

I was thinking it is doable. 10 am would be plenty of time for the 11:30 train!

Did you take your luggage off? I'll have to ask my friend if she thinks she can. 

1 hour ago, NitaBcruising said:

I am doing Crown on 6/23 to 7/4. I was hoping to take the train from Vancouver, BC to Vancouver, WA on this day. However, the latest train is 11:30 am. I read on the Princess site that flights have to be 4 1/2 hours after ship's arrival, which would then be at noon. However, we wouldn't need to be 2 hours early to the train, so maybe the 11:30 train will work? I hate to stress! I'll also have to decide if we're up to schleppping our luggage off, to get off early! We are 2 gals, not young anymore, LOL! 

But, staying another night in Vancouver, adds about $300 more. 

Any experience with this? 

TIA!!!

Nita

Where is there a train from Vancouver BC to WA at 11:30am? 

I see a 6:30am and 5:45pm.

There's a bus to Seattle, which takes 4 hours, then you wait at the Seattle train station for over two hours to get the train to Vancouver, WA.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know the only trains on the Cascade route south from Vancouver are early morning and late afternoon. The early train is way too early to catch and the afternoon train would get you into southern Washington in the middle of the night or early morning before sunrise. We live in Portland and always stay over and catch the morning train the next day

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NitaBcruising said:

Thank you so much! 

I was thinking it is doable. 10 am would be plenty of time for the 11:30 train!

Did you take your luggage off? I'll have to ask my friend if she thinks she can. 

I did not.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

OP you can always take SkyTrain to Vancouver airport, then a quick flight to PDX.

Flights are higher than the train, even if we stay one night! 

I travel quite a bit, so tend to check all my options, before booking!

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion, but I did know the 11:30 is a bus/train combo. I've done it before, no biggie. It is slightly higher, but still cheaper than a hotel and train the next morning! 

But, it leaves at 11:30 am, arrives in Vancouver, Wa at 9:07 pm, certainly not late! 

Last Oct we did it going north for a cruise. We had a bite to eat in Seattle, a block or so away. 

I appreciate all the input! 

Thanks again, everyone! I will leave it up to my friend to decide which way to go. At least the option is there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Thanks for posting this.  Was wondering if Princess had a transfer to SEATAC.  Would you know what the price was and approx time bus arrived at SEATAC.  TIA

6 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Thanks for posting this.  Was wondering if Princess had a transfer to SEATAC.  Would you know what the price was and approx time bus arrived at SEATAC.  TIA

The bus at 11:30 is 4 hours, arriving in Seattle about 3:30 pm. I guess you'd have to Uber/taxi to Seatac. We get the sr. rate, there's a place to show that where it says travelers. The bus is booked direct on the Amtak site. 

https://www.amtrak.com/home.html 

17 minutes ago, NitaBcruising said:

The bus at 11:30 is 4 hours, arriving in Seattle about 3:30 pm. I guess you'd have to Uber/taxi to Seatac. We get the sr. rate, there's a place to show that where it says travelers. The bus is booked direct on the Amtak site. 

https://www.amtrak.com/home.html 

Thanks but looking for a Princess transfer to SEATAC.  Flight times for us are the pitts out of Vancouver and SEATAC not much better.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Thanks but looking for a Princess transfer to SEATAC.  Flight times for us are the pitts out of Vancouver and SEATAC not much better.  

I have no idea if Princess offers a bus to Seatac. The bus on the Amtrak site is for connecting to their trains. I guess I misunderstood what you were looking for. Good luck! 

Have you called Princess, or asked your agent?

I booked mine from an offer, online, so I don't even have anyone to ask my questions! 

27 minutes ago, NitaBcruising said:

I have no idea if Princess offers a bus to Seatac. The bus on the Amtrak site is for connecting to their trains. I guess I misunderstood what you were looking for. Good luck! 

Have you called Princess, or asked your agent?

I booked mine from an offer, online, so I don't even have anyone to ask my questions! 

Coral has just posted the disembarkation letter for the Crown Princess she is currently on or just was on in the above post #2.  Thought she might know the pricing for the SEATAC transfer. 

54 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Coral has just posted the disembarkation letter for the Crown Princess she is currently on or just was on in the above post #2.  Thought she might know the pricing for the SEATAC transfer. 

Thanks, but I'm not looking to get to Seatac. The bus/train suits us, as we go home to Vancouver, WA, right on the train line! I assume you are interested in if you can get a transfer to Seatac, to fly to and from there instead? 

My question has been answered.  

39 minutes ago, Coral said:

Transfer to SeaTac is $79.

Thanks.  Flights to Alabama in the afternoon usually arrive the following day so thinking an overnight will be needed to fly out early morning..  So that's either Vancouver or Seattle.  . 

3 hours ago, NitaBcruising said:

Sorry for the confusion, but I did know the 11:30 is a bus/train combo. I've done it before, no biggie. It is slightly higher, but still cheaper than a hotel and train the next morning! 

But, it leaves at 11:30 am, arrives in Vancouver, Wa at 9:07 pm, certainly not late! 

Last Oct we did it going north for a cruise. We had a bite to eat in Seattle, a block or so away. 

I appreciate all the input! 

Thanks again, everyone! I will leave it up to my friend to decide which way to go. At least the option is there!

The 9am Bus/Train is more efficient due to less time hanging around in Seattle waiting for the train - and still easily made if you self-disembark. Unlike the train, where CBP preclear pax at the station so you're supposed to arrive an hour before departure, all the buses you only need to show up 15mins early (indeed, any earlier and the bus probably isn't even there yet, still parked out the back somewhere!) because immigration happens at the land border.

You could literally walk from the pier to Pacific Central in time! We live just across the park from Pac Central and I walk both mine and my wife's big suitcases home every time (she goes straight to her office or a meeting downtown) - it's only 1.5miles on nice wide sidewalks, slightly downhill going to the train...

Since it's July 4th, you'd definitely be home in time for the fireworks (even if you head into Portland for the bigger show here) if you took this departure instead... the later train could easily be delayed enough to miss them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, martincath said:

The 9am Bus/Train is more efficient due to less time hanging around in Seattle waiting for the train - and still easily made if you self-disembark. Unlike the train, where CBP preclear pax at the station so you're supposed to arrive an hour before departure, all the buses you only need to show up 15mins early (indeed, any earlier and the bus probably isn't even there yet, still parked out the back somewhere!) because immigration happens at the land border.

You could literally walk from the pier to Pacific Central in time! We live just across the park from Pac Central and I walk both mine and my wife's big suitcases home every time (she goes straight to her office or a meeting downtown) - it's only 1.5miles on nice wide sidewalks, slightly downhill going to the train...

Since it's July 4th, you'd definitely be home in time for the fireworks (even if you head into Portland for the bigger show here) if you took this departure instead... the later train could easily be delayed enough to miss them.

Thanks for your input!

After getting all the details,  my friend would rather stay in BC for the night and leave on the 5th. Sharing the price of a hotel makes it not too bad. Maybe she hasn't been to Vancouver,  BC! 

So, any suggestions on what to do that afternoon in Vancouver,  BC? I've been a few times, guess I'll see what might interest her. 

I appreciate everyone's advice! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NitaBcruising said:

Thanks for your input!

After getting all the details,  my friend would rather stay in BC for the night and leave on the 5th. Sharing the price of a hotel makes it not too bad. Maybe she hasn't been to Vancouver,  BC! 

So, any suggestions on what to do that afternoon in Vancouver,  BC? I've been a few times, guess I'll see what might interest her. 

I appreciate everyone's advice! 

Firstly, get the next morning 'train all the way' service booked ASAP - if they are not already sold out, Saver tickets make the train cheaper than the bus and partial-bus services as well as quicker than the latter! While too early to eat brekky before boarding for most, the bistro car does pretty decent and affordable breakfast sammiches as well as Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oatmeal - there aren't any views to speak of until you get close to the border, so the first ~45mins or so is the ideal time to go grab some grub.

Second - see if you can book the YWCA Hotel, as it might already be sold out but if not it's one of the closest hotels to the train as well as the best-value hotel in the region.

Third - yes, ask your friend what she wants to do if she's never been before! With a really short stay it's crucial to cut the vast array of possibilities down to the ones most likely to be enjoyed by the specific people visiting. TripAdvisor's rankings work very well for all popular sites, as thousands of reviews average out to be an excellent indicator of Joe Q. McAverageTourists tastes... assuming you and your friend know your own tastes enough to be aware how you differ from Joe, it's easy to shuffle e.g. Museums up a couple of places in the rankings and Gardens down a couple or whatever.

The only Big Hit you might already know from past visits that is not available this summer is UBC's superb Museum of Anthropology - closed for seismic renovations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martincath said:

I’m sure you know an acceptable route, but I would NOT recommend any tourists try to walk from Canada Place to Pacific Central train station. Best to take a taxi. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martincath said:

Firstly, get the next morning 'train all the way' service booked ASAP - if they are not already sold out, Saver tickets make the train cheaper than the bus and partial-bus services as well as quicker than the latter! While too early to eat brekky before boarding for most, the bistro car does pretty decent and affordable breakfast sammiches as well as Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oatmeal - there aren't any views to speak of until you get close to the border, so the first ~45mins or so is the ideal time to go grab some grub.

Second - see if you can book the YWCA Hotel, as it might already be sold out but if not it's one of the closest hotels to the train as well as the best-value hotel in the region.

Third - yes, ask your friend what she wants to do if she's never been before! With a really short stay it's crucial to cut the vast array of possibilities down to the ones most likely to be enjoyed by the specific people visiting. TripAdvisor's rankings work very well for all popular sites, as thousands of reviews average out to be an excellent indicator of Joe Q. McAverageTourists tastes... assuming you and your friend know your own tastes enough to be aware how you differ from Joe, it's easy to shuffle e.g. Museums up a couple of places in the rankings and Gardens down a couple or whatever.

The only Big Hit you might already know from past visits that is not available this summer is UBC's superb Museum of Anthropology - closed for seismic renovations.

No, it's still available and we agreed to book the direct train both ways. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

It's harder to get it all done, when booking 28 days before the cruise! And I'm the usual researcher, planner, booker, and I  do have other things going on, too! Lol!!!