Regent canceling cruises due to chartering them out

Sunward

19 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

That is not what you said.  You said that Regent ENFORCES the dress code 99% of the time.  I say that iF there is a violation Regent will not force the violator to leave/change more than 8 times in 10; and it might actually be lower.  Really depends on who is the GM.

Marc

I see what you mean - apologies - I am pretty tired tonight. Not all GM's are the same, are they? 😉 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

Anyhow, question is: has anyone experienced large groups/partial charters on cruises 14 days or longer?  Seems mostly they are on the one week or less ones.

Our cruise this last December (15 days) had a group on and I didn't notice any issues. Just like people have different personalities so do groups.

• Like 2

Apparently they are not enforcing the evening dress code at all because there are 59 bags that have yet to be delivered to the ship 5 days into the cruise. That being said,we had dinner tonight with one of the couples who do not have luggage and they cancelled their first reservation at Prime 7 because they did not have proper attire. They have shopped at our destinations and have purchased clothing appropriate for evenings on the ship. Last night 8 members of the large insurance group were sitting next to us at dinner. They were very loud but nicely dressed. We saw them later in the Voyager Lounge— the women had changed into from dresses to jean cut offs or gym shorts and the men all had on shorts. Also the insurance company paying for this group gave money to the employees with missing luggage to purchase clothing. Unfortunately these folks were overheard saying that they were pocketing the money instead of buying suitable clothing. This is a very young crowd and not the normal Regent passengers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Momo3bigD said:

Apparently they are not enforcing the evening dress code at all because there are 59 bags that have yet to be delivered to the ship 5 days into the cruise. That being said,we had dinner tonight with one of the couples who do not have luggage and they cancelled their first reservation at Prime 7 because they did not have proper attire. They have shopped at our destinations and have purchased clothing appropriate for evenings on the ship. Last night 8 members of the large insurance group were sitting next to us at dinner. They were very loud but nicely dressed. We saw them later in the Voyager Lounge— the women had changed into from dresses to jean cut offs or gym shorts and the men all had on shorts. Also the insurance company paying for this group gave money to the employees with missing luggage to purchase clothing. Unfortunately these folks were overheard saying that they were pocketing the money instead of buying suitable clothing. This is a very young crowd and not the normal Regent passengers. 

Ugh....

• Like 1

Did they give them lots of money to purchase clothing, because if they are young, the stuff in the boutique is old school - I’m in my 60’s and I don’t like it.  Maybe they purchased a nice outfit for dinner and will be wearing that multiple times, hence the change for the rest of the night.   

Why do you folks get so bend out of shape on this?  If their luggage didn’t get there, ease up! 

• Like 1

It’s not necessarily “getting bent out of shape”. With regard to the clothing—our destinations have been bursting with shops selling darling, inexpensive dresses, shoes,etc. The larger issue is that the entire vibe of this cruise is not what most other passengers expected on a Regent cruise. This group is around 200 people who “won” this trip from their employer. The point is that Regent has sold out the brand by taking this group on a voyage with other “paying” customers who make the effort to adhere to the dress codes and know how to act when dining out. I feel sorry for the staff on the 2 cruises that they have chartered based on some the things they’ve had to deal with from this group. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Momo3bigD said:

It’s not necessarily “getting bent out of shape”. With regard to the clothing—our destinations have been bursting with shops selling darling, inexpensive dresses, shoes,etc. The larger issue is that the entire vibe of this cruise is not what most other passengers expected on a Regent cruise. This group is around 200 people who “won” this trip from their employer. The point is that Regent has sold out the brand by taking this group on a voyage with other “paying” customers who make the effort to adhere to the dress codes and know how to act when dining out. I feel sorry for the staff on the 2 cruises that they have chartered based on some the things they’ve had to deal with from this group. 

The high end charter places bring in additional staff because they often don't have the ship filled and like their own people.

There are former insurance professionals on the cruise and they have not seen a company do anything like this in years. The company is Farm Bureau and they are mostly folks from Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana and North Carolina. From what one agent told us this is the overflow from the 2 Regent cruises that they have completely charted. Apparently these are the top tier producers. Last year they chartered 2 Regent cruises to the Caribbean . I know if I was insured with this company I wouldn’t be too happy with they way they spend money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momo3bigD said:

There are former insurance professionals on the cruise and they have not seen a company do anything like this in years. The company is Farm Bureau and they are mostly folks from Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana and North Carolina. From what one agent told us this is the overflow from the 2 Regent cruises that they have completely charted. Apparently these are the top tier producers. Last year they chartered 2 Regent cruises to the Caribbean . I know if I was insured with this company I wouldn’t be too happy with they way they spend money.

I am sure they discovered that happy and appreciated employees are much better than unhappy and unappreciated employees. Sounds like a good way to spend money to me...I am sure the stock holders agree as well as the company is doing great.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 5:33 PM, pappy1022 said:

This is BS on Regent’s part. If they do this to my cruise I am done with them. I’ve been planning this cruise for a year and nothing they could do would make me feel good about them if they did this to me. I would expect a full refund, including the air deviation, the small group tour extra cost, the insurance I paid for the cruise, and every penny that I spent.

and how about if you bought air on your own?  If you cancel air, most likely you would just get a up to 1 year future booking credit, and neither any cruise line nor any insurance would compensate you for it.  So, if you spent $10,000 or more on air (which is typical to what Regent air discount is for 2 people), you would be stuck with the same airline (no flexibility) and have to spend that large amount during just 1 year or end up losing that amount (or leftover if you buy new air for a lesser amount) all together.

On 5/30/2023 at 8:11 PM, pingpong1 said:

PC - I don't think it would "ruin" any one particular dinner for me, either (assuming that the dinner itself and service was up to my expectation of Regent)...but seeing people in a dining venue after 6pm, dressed as the poster/s described above (clearly in non-compliance with Regent's rules) ...it would at the very least, give me pause to wonder about what other published standards or "rules" might also be "flexible", on a case by case basis, or selectively "un-enforced" on any particular Regent cruise.

I.e., Would it really be "all that bad" if I decided to enjoy a scotch and a good cigar on my own private balcony on some lovely warm/pleasant evening on Regent?  It's the "broken windows theory".  If everyone else who is driving by me on the highway is consistently doing well over 75 MPH, without any evidence of police enforcement, and yet the posted speed limit sign says, "55 MPH", how seriously should I believe that there really is a 65 MPH speed limit?  And then, how seriously should I take any other driving laws?  Can/should I really drive through a red light, if no other cars are around?

If Regent isn't going to enforce one clearly written "rule" (dress codes after 6pm), then what other rules might also be flexible, as well?  Regards

It occurs on almost all cruise lines lately (luxury and not).