QV May 2023 Princess Grill Cut-Backs and General Impressions

WantedOnVoyage

1 hour ago, RJChatsworth said:

Took the tender into Stornaway this morning.  I hope even a fraction of all those coughing on the tender don’t have Covid or am I getting paranoid?!  Had to go to the medical centre with a really minor issue but given a mask and temperature taken as soon as I went through the door.

We gave the tender a miss today as I was pretty appalled at the poor hand hygiene and coughing/sneezing  on the shuttle into Kirkwall yesterday. Taking lots of precautions but still enjoying the trip, despite the fact that two people took it upon themselves a few days ago to harass us about our mask wearing!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Victoria 2 - At World Club party someone had done some 2,700 nights.  Was that you?  We are bordering only 600!

We give these big gatherings a miss but golly, no. Only started  Cunard journey in 2011 so about half your experience. All in Q G bar around 14 nights though so have a bit of knowledge of the product.🙂

34 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

But there seem to be lots like that!  I have white hair and sometimes white trousers!

Good to hear lots like me. I was beginning to feel a real rebel for wearing any kind of jeans on Cunard! 😁 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We give these big gatherings a miss but golly, no. Only started  Cunard journey in 2011 so about half your experience. All in Q G bar around 14 nights though so have a bit of knowledge of the product.🙂

Oh well, I must be old..  We  go on QM-2 and QE in in next few months, but when we are back on QV in November it will be exactly 50 years to the month that we went on our first Cunard voyage, that was Cunard Adventurer in the West Indies in 1973.  Do you think anyone in Cunard will notice and offer us a cupcake!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Oh well, I must be old..  We  go on QM-2 and QE in in next few months, but when we are back on QV in November it will be exactly 50 years to the month that we went on our first Cunard voyage, that was Cunard Adventurer in the West Indies in 1973.  Do you think anyone in Cunard will notice and offer us a cupcake!

In all seriousness, I would mention it to the lovely CWC people onboard. I doubt you’ll ll get a medal, but a bottle of Pol Acker and or a cake might be in order, and if dreadfully unlucky, two bottles of Pol Acker 😄

23 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

If you want to say hello, my jeans and sunglasses will be in the Grills lounge around 5 pm

4 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

Took the tender into Stornaway this morning.  I hope even a fraction of all those coughing on the tender don’t have Covid or am I getting paranoid?!  Had to go to the medical centre with a really minor issue but given a mask and temperature taken as soon as I went through the door.

It is difficult, because lots of people, including myself, cough quite a lot when they don’t have Covid. But some people seem so unaware.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

I am sure you are right Victoria2. Looking forward to not getting off tomorrow with the scenic cruising by Mull.  Done it before but still very enjoyable.

Will it matter which side I’m on, because obviously I’m stuck on port?

I think it’s best on starboard side as you go down coast of Mull and close to Tobomory and it’s colourful buildings as I remember.  Also seem to recall ship manoeuvring so both sides could see main town.  Quite an impressive little place.  However on port side, which we are this time, you go along mainland coast and see Oban.

On 5/29/2023 at 6:15 AM, exlondoner said:

I’m not feeling very loyal at the moment as I have been confined with Covid.

Sorry to hear! Hope you have a speedy recovery and can carry on enjoying your trip 🙂

At dinner in the PG last evening I asked about what had happened to the large metal semi-circular covers on the cheese trolley.  I was told they had gone to QM-2.  For whatever reason I know not.  Maybe Osman has commandeered them!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

At dinner in the PG last evening I asked about what had happened to the large metal semi-circular covers on the cheese trolley.  I was told they had gone to QM-2.  For whatever reason I know not.  Maybe Osman has commandeered them!

I think I saw one in the QG before I was impounded.

Today is the most beautiful peaceful morning, but I would love to see the view on the other side.

25 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think I saw one in the QG before I was impounded.

Today is the most beautiful peaceful morning, but I would love to see the view on the other side.

Can someone request that they twirl around and sail back up the sound?

They've lots of time to get to Belfast.

Taking lots of precautions but still enjoying the trip, despite the fact that two people took it upon themselves a few days ago to harass us about our mask wearing!

I’m shocked someone would harass you for wearing a mask- would you care to elaborate?

Taking my 85 year old mother who

is clinically vulnerable on the same cruise in August and it’s her first one since covid and she is so desperate to get back onboard but is aware of the risks and will be masking up in the terminal and lift and will probably try to avoid the tenders and theatre

Now Im worried to encounter someone like you did hence wondering how the scenario played out

36 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

Taking lots of precautions but still enjoying the trip, despite the fact that two people took it upon themselves a few days ago to harass us about our mask wearing!

Now Im worried to encounter someone like you did hence wondering how the scenario played out

We were walking down our corridor towards the elevator in both cases. Each time it was an older British male (two different ones) who appeared to be hanging out in the doorway of their stateroom.  In the first instance the man said something along the lines of "you know those don't protect you, right" and engaged my husband in discussion.  I told him we were doing the best we could to stay well and he continued to be critical as we walked away. The second man later that day made some remark about not believing people were still wearing masks.  I stormed off, saying we were trying to protect my vulnerable husband.  Interestingly, the next day I saw the second man standing in his doorway engaged in discussion with a steward while blowing his nose in the hallway. We veered off to go another way. In both cases they instigated the discussion as we were trying to pass by in the hallway, we hadn't even had thechace to say good morning as we passed.  Completely uncalled for.

Happily no further incidents but of coursr the Norovirus letter arrived under the door yesterday afternoon and we are being even more careful.  Still not impressed with the hygiene habits of our fellow passengers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craigrlewis said:

I’m shocked someone would harass you for wearing a mask- would you care to elaborate?

Taking my 85 year old mother who

is clinically vulnerable on the same cruise in August and it’s her first one since covid and she is so desperate to get back onboard but is aware of the risks and will be masking up in the terminal and lift and will probably try to avoid the tenders and theatre

I wouldn’t worry about the odd ignorant passenger. There are quite a few mask wearers around the ship and it’s a personal choice to do so. Just in case you come across similar ignorance, you’re well armed now and can have a suitable put down ready.

Some of the hygiene habits of a few passengers is questionable but t'was always thus and will continue to be so, sadly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, techteach said:

Terrible behavior. Could alcohol have been involved? To have it happen twice is even worse. A Norovirus letter is icing on the cake. I hope your cruise improves.

One incident was before breakfast and one before lunch, neither gave the appearance of being under the influence.  Just willing to acvost passersby!