QV May 2023 Princess Grill Cut-Backs and General Impressions

WantedOnVoyage

7 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

We are currently on QV in PG and agree with all the observations.  In addition the pre-dinner tasters have gone but they had last November.  The a la carte section is much poorer, the service can be very slow at times.  There are only 3 tables for 6 or 8 as far as I can see.  There seem to be no tables for 4.  I’m told the vast majority of passengers want tables for 2 and they are now squeezed in with barely a hand width between them.  The maitre d’ told me at the first lunch on embarkation day almost everyone wanted a table change.  Certain areas of squeezed in tables looks more akin to a junk shop.  I know I am exaggerating but it’s not a good look.  The cabin steward told me they no longer deliver Britain Today to your stateroom unless you request it.

Last Thursday the Pol Aker was definitely back  on embarkation.  We had the World Club Party tonight for the top three levels only.  The 5.15 pm session was absolutely heaving in the Queens Room.  I suspect the 7.30 pm party was just the same.  It is only exclusive now to be not in the top three tiers.  There can’t be anyone on the ship not in the loyalty scheme!  The 5.15 party has the Captain speaking but he doesn’t introduce his senior officers like he does at 7.30.

We’ve had Britain Today delivered. There are quite a number of fours in QG, so it is clearly what a particularly embarkstion of passengers happen to request.

Isn’t it good that Cunard inspires so much loyalty?

I’m not feeling very loyal at the moment as I have been confined with Covid.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Not again! I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you're feeling better and testing negative soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Not again! I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you're feeling better and testing negative soon.

My feelings exactly, but, at least, this time, it is our own spacious Q4 we are confined to. They said I will be released on Saturday. My husband at present is unaffected, so can do everything (except eat and drink) around the ship and on shore. I can see that if a couple of people unknowingly had it on Thursday, it could have spread widely in the very crowded Mayflower Terminal.

38 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

My feelings exactly, but, at least, this time, it is our own spacious Q4 we are confined to. They said I will be released on Saturday. My husband at present is unaffected, so can do everything (except eat and drink) around the ship and on shore. I can see that if a couple of people unknowingly had it on Thursday, it could have spread widely in the very crowded Mayflower Terminal.

So sorry to hear and hope you don’t feel too bad, health wise.

We haven’t been masking up but with the number of coughs I’ve been hearing, I think lifts will become mask areas from now on for us.

Your Covid news and the news the Queens Room was crowded yesterday with the Captain’s 'do' makes me extremely pleased we didn’t go!

On QM2 in April our captain's party was 11.15am , we choose not to go.  Even if it is at a more sensible time in June, will follow Victoria2 example and avoid a crowded room, who needs another glass of cheap bubbly. On the otherhand a crowded dance floor would be a pleasure .

Although I'm  very much in favour of forgetting Covid and getting on with it. Avoiding  unnecessary crowds is sensible. Therefore regarding the terminal overcrowding, I think Cunard should be contacting everyone and emphasising the instruction not to turn up early. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Comiserations,  get well soon , but unfortunately  the better you feel the more stir crazy you will get. Is it definitely Saturday release or do they let you out if you test negative for two days.

Are Cunard randomly testing people , or only those that come forward with symptoms?

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Comiserations,  get well soon , but unfortunately  the better you feel the more stir crazy you will get. Is it definitely Saturday release or do they let you out if you test negative for two days.

Are Cunard randomly testing people , or only those that come forward with symptoms?

Thanks. It could me much worse. I don’t have to cook or wash up, and if only the weather were warmer, I would be lounging happily on the balcony reading. Unfortunately, it is 52/11 in Kirkwall, and I swear the officer used the words wind chill this morning.

One of the bits of paper I got suggested they were doing some random testing, but I didn’t see any evidence of it, before I succumbed. I really did think I had a cold, and only called them to be on the safe side, as we were about to go to the World Club party.

Covid will be present at some low level in the human population into the future, and never be zero. So all we can do is hope that we as individuals don't get it too many times in the future, and especially on a cruise.  When case rates are really low, as they appear to be at the moment, additional protocols like mask wearing and distancing have a limited effect in bringing about a change - but if case rates rise and there is clear transmission leading to too many cases then temporarily bringing in more stringent measures makes sense - it seems Cunard is keeping that option open to bring in if and when the situation warrants it.  However it also seems that case rates have generally remained pretty low, and most people aren't even aware when a few others have come down with it on a voyage, in recent times.

It is certainly not nice getting Covid, and even more so if it is the second time, especially when on holiday. But one positive is that if you are unlucky enough to get it, then at least most people will be very unlikely to get it again within several months, so once you are just over a bout it is a good time to go on holiday again!

Took the tender into Stornaway this morning.  I hope even a fraction of all those coughing on the tender don’t have Covid or am I getting paranoid?!  Had to go to the medical centre with a really minor issue but given a mask and temperature taken as soon as I went through the door.

5 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Took the tender into Stornaway this morning.  I hope even a fraction of all those coughing on the tender don’t have Covid or am I getting paranoid?!  Had to go to the medical centre with a really minor issue but given a mask and temperature taken as soon as I went through the door.

No, you’re not paranoid. Loads of coughing onboard which of course, doesn’t mean Covid but I would take a punt not everyone will be as diligent as exlondoner, and check to see their status re Covid.

We will continue to observe care in perceived crowds and avoid them if needs be.

23 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

I am sure you are right Victoria2. Looking forward to not getting off tomorrow with the scenic cruising by Mull.  Done it before but still very enjoyable.

If you see someone in sunglasses and cut off jeans around the ship, say hello😀