Cruiselines without apps for booking meals and entertainment

0regg0

HI

Whilst we have done a few cruises in the past approx 7 years ago in the days when you could have a selection of free early or late meal sittings and to go to one of the shows if you felt like at the time. My wife and myself have started to think about going again, BUT all I can gather from people , is that you need apps for meal sittings and pre book shows through the app. the cruise lines we have used in the past  are P & O and Princess.

We are in our 80's the last thing we want is to have to mess about with these so called apps, probably because we are not with the latest technology!!

Are there any cruise lines that do not require all this technology to get a meal or see a show.

Any help would be much appreciated.

We sailed Princess and Norwegian in October, 2022 and February 2023. We did not need to use the apps on either Enchanted or Star. Some of the things were easier with the app, but not necessary.

Princess does have the Medallion app for updating your cruise (adding passport info plus other items) but I understand a majority of the registration can be done online and the balance at the port before boarding. No app necessary once on board.

Far as I know, Princess is the only cruiseline trying to torture their pax with flawed technology.  But the crew members are still the same ... they're interested in making you happy.  Many ships have 'dine when you want' plans, but you can just go visit the host the first night and arrange to have dinner at whatever time you wish.  You can read about the details of each ship in CC reviews.  Then you can ask specific questions on the CC boards.  If the cruiseline tries to force you into doing something like uploading your photo or 'getting in the green line' , just ignore all that.  Appear at the pier with your documents as always, board the ship, and ask a crew member any questions you have.  You might be most comfortable finding a cruise expert travel advisor (a real one, not online booking service) who can guide you through the realities of today's cruising as you plan the cruise.

I see that you have cruised on P&O as well as Princess in the past so I’m guessing that you are from the UK. If that is the case, have you looked at cruising with Fred Olsen, Saga and Ambassador cruise lines which are all UK cruise lines and geared to more mature travellers.

Their ships are smaller and more intimate than the huge ships being used by P&O and I know from personal experience that, although Fred Olsen does have an app, it is not used to book on board activities. In fact, the FO experience is very much cruising as it used to be.
I have not cruised with Saga or Ambassador so can’t comment personally but I have a feeling, given their target market, that smart phones and apps would not be needed.

• Host Hattie changed the title to Cruiselines without apps for booking meals and entertainment

We have done five Royal Caribbean cruises in the last year, and have never used a smartphone or app for anything.  We request the dining time we want when we book the cruise. We take paper version of boarding passes to the terminal. The ships we sail do not require show reservations. We request the daily planner in paper form. We've never felt the lack of apps to be a hindrance.  I say don't worry about it!  There are still lots of us who don't care to be tied to phones, and the cruiselines will take good care of us.

• Like 1

We c ruised with Saga last year, ex Southampton,  and did not require apps for anything. As far as I can see from the P and O UK board, P and O is keen to encourage people to use their app, and not all are finding it easy.  have a look over on the the P and O board if you havent already. 

I think that using your phone on a cruise might be just the thing for certain people who like to fiddle-diddle on their phone.  For the rest of us, just use what works.  I read the daily newsletter, I figure out my day, I go do it.  Making dining reservations online wouldn't bother me, but I'm not going to use my phone to do any of it.  Having your nose in a phone all day just seems like an excuse not to interact with others ... and that's just fine for those who want it.  The bottom-line issue with technology is that it's fun to challenge yourself, until you get tired of no progress and go back to reality.  Being forced to use the technology?  A non-starter for almost everyone.

• Like 1

I'm glad!

And one more thing: If, when you are close to boarding, your booking says (as mine always does) "You must download the app now", just ignore it, move down the page, and there will be something like "If not using the app, click here".  Don't let it bully you; there is always an option.

• Like 4