Water Shoe recommendations ..

Piaa

We will be in Tahiti in September and have read water shoes are a good idea - might anyone have a good recommendation please (nothing expensive as this will be the only time we wear them as there is no need on St John LOL) 

Thank you 

Cheapies from Wal-Mart, Target or wherever are just fine. I think I got mine at Big 5 Sporting Goods. It's trying to find ones that are semi-tasteful that's the problem. :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avalong said:

Cheapies from Wal-Mart, Target or wherever are just fine. I think I got mine at Big 5 Sporting Goods. It's trying to find ones that are semi-tasteful that's the problem. 🙂

"semi-tasteful" ... that is a dilemma for sure 🤣

• Like 1

My husband bought ultra cheep ones from Amazon and was not happy with them. I spent a little more and purchased "Speedo" brand. Very happy with them. We wore our shoes several times on our Caribbean vacation.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 3kidslater said:

My husband bought ultra cheep ones from Amazon and was not happy with them. I spent a little more and purchased "Speedo" brand. Very happy with them. We wore our shoes several times on our Caribbean vacation.

I have Speedo brand as well, and they are terrific.

• Like 1

I can vouch for Speedo water shoes. (About US$40 online.) Many styles and colors. But I lost my pair. So, for next week's Tahiti trip, I replaced them with Tusa brand from a local dive shop. (Simple and mostly black, US$20). I'm anxious to see how well they protect against stones on rough beaches. Review to follow.

PS - Another option is to search for "scuba shoes" which tend to be booties that cover the ankle. The price is similar to Speedo, but they are pretty ugly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our Wind Spirit cruise in Tahiti is almost over. We found reef shoes to be essential, just as Windstar recommended. The inexpensive Tusa shoes were adequate for our drift snorkel trip and our day on the private motu near Taha’a. I would have preferred shoes with thicker soles, however. Lumps of coral and cobblestone streets were a bit rough. Wind Spirit has nice Body Glove shoes in the gift shop for about US$50, but they may not have the size you are looking for. Some passengers brought very stylish Teva brand water shoes and were very happy with those.

3 hours ago, SailingHigher said:

Our Wind Spirit cruise in Tahiti is almost over. We found reef shoes to be essential, just as Windstar recommended. The inexpensive Tusa shoes were adequate for our drift snorkel trip and our day on the private motu near Taha’a. I would have preferred shoes with thicker soles, however. Lumps of coral and cobblestone streets were a bit rough. Wind Spirit has nice Body Glove shoes in the gift shop for about US$50, but they may not have the size you are looking for. Some passengers brought very stylish Teva brand water shoes and were very happy with those.

Thank you so much - hope you are having a great sail 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like the Speedo water shoes too. I have used mine 6 days/week in an energetic rough-bottom pool workout. They are a bit difficult to get on at first and then they stretch out later..Sadly they often have a longish back log. 

Last year I bought a pair of Hiiitake water shoes on Amazon. They are holding up very well, were affordable and I would recommend them. I have also used them for snorkeling and some rough bottom beaches.

Edited by Pudgesmom