how long does it take to disembark at Trieste cruise terminal

ep1080

Hello, I hope I post in the right place. I am taking NCL Gem that ends at Trieste cruise termnal. It is supposed to dock at 6 am , and my flight from Venice Marco Polo airport leaves at 11am. I understand it takes about 2 hours to go from Trieste cruise terminal to Venice airport. I was wondering if anyone have gone on this cruise and can comment on how soon after the ship docks can we disembark. Do they disembark by " zones" and you are not allowed off if your zone is not called. I can book private transfer from Trieste to Venice airport. But I need to find out how long it takes to disembark to see if this is even doable. If I changed to any flight after 11 am, it involve long ( about 12 hours OVERNIGHT layover. Since I am travelling solo, I do not feel comfortable to stay
overnight in a hotel by myself, taking a taxi late at night to go to the hotel and next morning take another taxi before the sun rises  to go to airport again. 
If anyone has experience with NCL disembarkation process and time expectation, I would greatly appreciate if you would share the info. I really appreciate it. 

I would not recommend the original flight times. It is doubtful that you will be off the ship by 7:30 or 8 am ( in my opinion assuming that everything goes according to plan). Then there is Marco Polo airport which is a disaster on a good day.

As @RD64 says, 11:00 am flights are sketchy to say the least.

Given that you will need to be at the airport by 8:30, 9:00 at the latest (security and check in are not the most organized I have seen) - not going to happen 😞

We managed to get ourselves off the ship (the Gem as it happens) by 7:10 - dragged our own bags on a half empty ship and were in a taxi to the train station by 7:15. On a full ship, I can't see that happening 😞

Edited by Brian V
typo / clarity

One other thing to consider major accidents are common on the stretch of the Autostrada from Udine to Venice. You did not mention the date or day of the week - summertime / weekend in July or August when everyone is headed to the beach will necessitate an extra cushion of time.

There is an Air Canada flight that leaves around 1PM - when visiting my relatives in Italy  we leave at 8AM for the exactly 98 kilometre drive to the airport. I like to be there by 9AM just to be on the safe side.

Edited by RD64
Typo

We recently arrived in Trieste on another cruise line and a MUCH smaller ship. No way you will make your 11:00 AM flight. Not possible and we took a private car.

No reason to be afraid of staying in this area or taking a taxi. Very safe and VERY scenic. There are hotels close to the Venice airport.

• Thanks 1

I disembarked the GEM in Trieste last Sept.  Yes, it's by zones.  My paperwork for that day says:

7am  -   NCL transfer to VCE for pax with flights before 1pm

7:30am - 8am   self assist 

My flight from VCE was at 6:20am the following morning, so I stayed at a hotel near the airport. 

I took a bus from Trieste to VCE, then called the hotel shuttle to pick me up.   I'm a solo traveler, retired female, and felt very comfortable staying on my own.  Some cities, no, but Venice, definitely yes.

VCE is usually chaos. Even the airport web site says to arrive 3 hrs prior. I don't see how you can make an 11am flight.   How much will it cost if you miss it and have to re-book? 

I was flying to London,  no luggage to check so I was able to go right upstairs to Security.

Where is the first stop of your flight? luggage to check?

I am not at all familiar with Trieste, but what everyone else says about timing sounds right to me. I would never book an 11 am flight unless the airport was ver easy to get to from the port 

I just wanted to comment on the staying in hotel part: I am a solo female traveler in my sixties. I have traveled quite a lot in "iffy" places but very rarely have I felt unsafe in hotels/motels. I try to find places with airport shuttles instead of taking taxis. Usually works out really well! You're not saying where this overnight stay would be, but if it's 12 hours it can't be at "unsafe" times at both ends! If it's very early in the morning It can't be that late at night and vice versa!

An important note regarding WHERE in Trieste the Gem might dock:

Last year we did a cruise from Trieste with the Gem, where the embarkation was at the pier in the city centre, so veeeeery convenient. For the desembarkation a week later, we had booked a private transfer to the airport - with the same port/pier information given to the transfer company. BUT when the ship returned to Trieste after the cruise, we did NOT dock at the cruise port but in the middle of the commercial port (located 5-10 minutes drive from the city centre). It was very caotic to say the least - we were not the only ones waiting for private transfers that didn't arrive on time. And the taxi line at the pier was very long and new taxis where not arriving very often. So lots of worried people waiting in line, as they had flights to catch. We were among the very few who had our flight from Trieste airport instead of Venice airport, and that is the only reason we actually made it for our 11.00 AM flight.

5 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

An important note regarding WHERE in Trieste the Gem might dock:

Last year we did a cruise from Trieste with the Gem, where the embarkation was at the pier in the city centre, so veeeeery convenient. For the desembarkation a week later, we had booked a private transfer to the airport - with the same port/pier information given to the transfer company. BUT when the ship returned to Trieste after the cruise, we did NOT dock at the cruise port but in the middle of the commercial port (located 5-10 minutes drive from the city centre). It was very caotic to say the least - we were not the only ones waiting for private transfers that didn't arrive on time. And the taxi line at the pier was very long and new taxis where not arriving very often. So lots of worried people waiting in line, as they had flights to catch. We were among the very few who had our flight from Trieste airport instead of Venice airport, and that is the only reason we actually made it for our 11.00 AM flight.

We had exactly the same but in reverse, when we arrived at port there was no ship, we found an NCL bus service in operation to take everyone to the commercial port.
On our return we arrived back in the regular city port.

I am also a solo traveler disembarking in Trieste. The latest flight I could get was 11:45, so I’m going to spend the day and night in Venice. I know you said you’re not comfortable with that, but if you took the 11am flight the next day, you wouldn’t need to do any taxis after dark/before sunrise. 

• Like 1