Canada - P&O/Arcadia or Princess/Sky Princess

Megabear2

On a different thread regarding visa issues I came across Terrierjohn's post "Some very good prices on Princess for this Sept US and Canada 24 night cruise are being offered at the moment."  Despite my reservations on sailing again with Princess I have been tempted to look and am thinking about the 24 night sailing to Canada on 23 September.  I'm quite taken with one of the Premium Oceanview deck 17 forward cabins and have been quoted £3036 for single occupancy. This is their standard fare so gratuities not included, £3936 for the one with drinks etc but as I drink virtually nil onboard I think it would be a waste - unless someone know differently ...

My original choice was Arcadia 24 nights sailing 26 September.  An outside cabin on her for solo is £2429 saver or £3029 with £265obc. I also have a returning guest P&O obc offer for £50 on a select booking so I'd get £315obc in total.

I've never sailed on Arcadia or Sky Princess but I know quite a few on the boards have so any opinions much appreciated.  My Princess cruises have all been on Regal.  Anyone sailed on both, hopefully might be able to give me plus and minus points for each ship on an autumn transatlantic, ie things to do in inclement weather etc.  Apart from my problems in Rome I enjoyed Regal, how do Sky's facilities compare with her, are they the same.

The deck 17 forward cabin on Sky sounds interesting, I've never seen one of these elsewhere, assumedly that space is used on other ships in the class though, any ideas of which ships and where I might find details.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

On a different thread regarding visa issues I came across Terrierjohn's post "Some very good prices on Princess for this Sept US and Canada 24 night cruise are being offered at the moment."  Despite my reservations on sailing again with Princess I have been tempted to look and am thinking about the 24 night sailing to Canada on 23 September.  I'm quite taken with one of the Premium Oceanview deck 17 forward cabins and have been quoted £3036 for single occupancy. This is their standard fare so gratuities not included, £3936 for the one with drinks etc but as I drink virtually nil onboard I think it would be a waste - unless someone know differently ...

My original choice was Arcadia 24 nights sailing 26 September.  An outside cabin on her for solo is £2429 saver or £3029 with £265obc. I also have a returning guest P&O obc offer for £50 on a select booking so I'd get £315obc in total.

I've never sailed on Arcadia or Sky Princess but I know quite a few on the boards have so any opinions much appreciated.  My Princess cruises have all been on Regal.  Anyone sailed on both, hopefully might be able to give me plus and minus points for each ship on an autumn transatlantic, ie things to do in inclement weather etc.  Apart from my problems in Rome I enjoyed Regal, how do Sky's facilities compare with her, are they the same.

The deck 17 forward cabin on Sky sounds interesting, I've never seen one of these elsewhere, assumedly that space is used on other ships in the class though, any ideas of which ships and where I might find details.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thank you.

Don’t forget their Princess Plus includes gratuities, Wi Fi and drinks. If you want Wi Fi and are not going to withdraw the gratuities you could still be better off. Sky and Regal are basically the same but Sky has Take Five, a jazz club and no library. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Don’t forget their Princess Plus includes gratuities, Wi Fi and drinks. If you want Wi Fi and are not going to withdraw the gratuities you could still be better off. 

Thanks. Very true, I hadn't looked at the daily gratuity cost.  I assume like everything else it's increased since last year! 

Just looked  at today's exchange rate gratuities would be around £306 and wifi £190. Thanks for the tip. Their wifi is much cheaper than P&O so the package does make sense if I go that route.

Edited by Megabear2
New detail
  • Like 1

If you remember the front pool on Regal Princess they have built cabins around this pool that severely limits the space to sit. The cabin you are thinking of taking are at the front of these cabins and have the Sanctuary above them. If you suffer from seasickness they are high and front but give good access to this adult only pool. 
As I said above Regal and Sky are pretty much the same with a bit of alteration  to the Crown Grill and Wheelhouse bar that makes it better, also by loosing the small library. Princess Live is not closed off and is a much better space used for quizzes etc. The photo gallery is smaller and Alfredos now adjoins the midship deck where Facets the jewellery shop was.

Arcadia has the Crows Nest which is always nice but I doubt there is much difference to occupy people during the daytime. 
I think Princess has better entertainment in the atrium. Arcadia does not really have an atrium. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Thanks 1

We booked this cruise on Arcadia 11/4/22 ED cabin, aft facing £8926 with £400 OBC.

Noticed and changed on 10/4/23 to exact same cabin for £7858 with £580 OBC

When we thought there was a possibility of Arcadia going we also invested £100 in this princess option

during September 2022 it was £10918 for a superior Deluxe balcony, dramatic drop now then! (We cancelled this when the announcement of investment in the two old girls from P&O)

Have spent all day today pondering changing once more to a guarantee cabin on Sky for around £4300 with no frills, then porting our P&O deposit forward to some other cruise with them.

We like Arcadia and have not been on any of the Royal class ships yet, have sailed with Princess to Canada & USA before, was ok but wasn't star struck by the operation. Enjoyed the ports though, hence keen to go back.

Just not sure about Sky, looking pretty full and not knowing what to expect.

Edited by Hampshire Steve
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I have also looked at booking the Princess deal, it's very good compared to next year's prices. They are also offerring Princess Plus at half price atm.

They told me Princess Plus is not on 2023 only 2024.  Is that incorrect? I've looked at $60 per day, at $30 it would be great.

3 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

If you remember the front pool on Regal Princess they have built cabins around this pool that severely limits the space to sit. The cabin you are thinking of taking are at the front of these cabins and have the Sanctuary above them. If you suffer from seasickness they are high and front but give good access to this adult only pool. 
As I said above Regal and Sky are pretty much the same with a bit of alteration  to the Crown Grill and Wheelhouse bar that makes it better, also by loosing the small library. Princess Live is not closed off and is a much better space used for quizzes etc. The photo gallery is smaller and Alfredos now adjoins the midship deck where Facets the jewellery shop was.

Arcadia has the Crows Nest which is always nice but I doubt there is much difference to occupy people during the daytime. 
I think Princess has better entertainment in the atrium. Arcadia does not really have an atrium. 

I love a bit of movement!! Normally book front or mid front whatever I sail on so deck 17 holds no fear for seasickness.  I assume then the set up you describe is a bit like the Arvia deck 17 cabins for accessing the pool area.  The pool set up on Arcadia was the attraction for an autumn t/a going on the northern route as I thought might get inclement.

My transatlantic crossings have always been on QM2 with a couple on Allure from Barcelona.  When I say to occupy me QM2 offers an onboard itinerary very much geared to long seadays with multiple lectures, art classes, foiling lessons etc and Allure has multitudes of entertainment venues so never weather reliant.  I've never done a "cold weather" or autumnal cruise on P&O or Princess, only Cunard so I wondered if the day time activities on these long voyages differ from the offerings I've experienced in the Med and Caribbean on these lines.

27 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

They told me Princess Plus is not on 2023 only 2024.  Is that incorrect? I've looked at $60 per day, at $30 it would be great.

I have just checked and at the moment it is only 2024, unfortunately

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It was certainly being offered in the Daily Mail this week, but this offer ends tomorrow, so you need to move fast. It seems that my last post was removed because I named a TA, so I hope this survives.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It was certainly being offered in the Daily Mail this week, but this offer ends tomorrow, so you need to move fast. It seems that my last post was removed because I named a TA, so I hope this survives.

Yes, I have it and sent an enquiry, thank you.

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm quite taken with one of the Premium Oceanview deck 17 forward cabins and have been quoted £3036 for single occupancy. This is their standard fare so gratuities not included, £3936 for the one with drinks etc but as I drink virtually nil onboard I think it would be a waste - unless someone know differently ...

At the risk of stating the obvious, at those prices you are quoting (and I get the same from the Princess site), you are not being offered the Princess Plus at 50% off (i.e. £25 per day).  But neither are you paying full price (£50 per day), which would be £4236.  You are being asked for £37.50 a day.  You said above that wifi and gratuities are very nearly £500.  Even if you drink very rarely, it will be very easy to notch up a drinks bill of £400 over a 24 day cruise (£16 a day, so about $20) at Princess' drink prices, which are much higher than P&O and also attract a gratuity themselves.    Two or three soft drinks or speciality coffees / teas per day, plus one mocktail / cocktail would mean that you are better off taking Princess Plus than not.

1 minute ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, at those prices you are quoting (and I get the same from the Princess site), you are not being offered the Princess Plus at 50% off (i.e. £25 per day).  But neither are you paying full price (£50 per day), which would be £4236.  You are being asked for £37.50 a day.  You said above that wifi and gratuities are very nearly £500.  Even if you drink very rarely, it will be very easy to notch up a drinks bill of £400 over a 24 day cruise (£16 a day, so about $20) at Princess' drink prices, which are much higher than P&O and also attract a gratuity themselves.    Two or three soft drinks or speciality coffees / teas per day, plus one mocktail / cocktail would mean that you are better off taking Princess Plus than not.

Thank you. Gettingwarmer had also mentioned this in post 2 and I have been looking into the cruise under the terms you suggest.  I'm currently awaiting a reply from a t/a Terrierjohn mentioned having a deal on cabin upgrades.  

I shall make a decision tomorrow, but currently think I'd like to try Sky Princess.  Also if I take that one I will be onboard for my birthday which will be nice.  

Weighing it up it appears the "cheaper" P&O cruise isn't going to be that much cheaper once I throw in speciality dining x 2, drinks and wifi. 

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you. Gettingwarmer had also mentioned this in post 2 and I have been looking into the cruise under the terms you suggest.  I'm currently awaiting a reply from a t/a Terrierjohn mentioned having a deal on cabin upgrades.  

I guess the post 2 you are reading is different from the one I am reading, which doesn't mention that Pus is being charged at £37.50 per day on this cruise.

And the other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that - according to the email I got from Princess about this (pasted below), these prices are around for the  month of June.  So, while some travel agents may be hurrying people up, it may not be as urgent to book as they might have people believe.

Don't miss 25% off!

For the month of June, we're offering you 25% off our no-fly Canada & New England cruise from Southampton.* With fares as low as £1,499pp~ (that's less than £65 per day!), this unique and bucket list itinerary needs to be your one plan for this Autumn.  Don't miss out, this incredible 24 night adventure sets sail in just over three months' time. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

As it happens, we are booked on the Arcadia sailing...we did get a more significant discount than what I shown on the web now, quite considerably in fact. 

Looking at the prices now, the Princess one seems to be better value for money.

However it is possible that the prices will drop after final payment.

Having sailed on both Arcadia and Sky Princess I would go for Sky every time - if the price and itinerary were comparable.

Don't know if you have been on Britannia but Sky is a sister of Britannia and we actually preferred Sky to Britannia.

If internet connection is important one thing to bear in mind is that Sky has been upgraded to Starlink which is far superior to the internet on Arcadia.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, david63 said:

If internet connection is important one thing to bear in mind is that Sky has been upgraded to Starlink which is far superior to the internet on Arcadia.

That's good to know, I do still need to keep up with work so good for the Transatlantic times. 

Have now booked the Sky Princess for this one.