Italy & Croatia Cruise - is late May or early June better?

Husbeef

Hi! 

We are trying to choose between two cruising dates; one of which is 13-24 May and the other 3-14 June. It is the same cruise ship and itinerary; departing from Rome, sailing through Western Italy (inc. Naples & Messina) then through the Adriatic (inc. Kotor & Dubrovnik) before finishing in Venice. 

We also want to drive to the Dolomites from Venice after our cruise finishes. The June option appears better in the Dolomites because of the weather and everything starting to open, but we think the cruise may be less enjoyable due to the worsening crowds. We are hopeful they won't be too much worse because the Italy school holidays mostly start in mid-June. 

My question is whether there is a significant difference with crowds in the cruise ports/destinations between those dates?

Would love any advice! Thanks in advance! 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Significant difference? Probably not. But I would take the June trip for the issues in the Dolomites. A heavy winter could negatively affect your access there. And you wouldn't know the affects until spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just did a B2B Italy, Adriatic & Greece cruise on the Explorer of the Seas from May 8-21.  Pretty much the entire first week of the cruise was rainy, cool and overcast.  It didn't ruin the cruise, but I had to put on the rain coat, long pants and carry an umbrella everywhere.  I got wet.  The second half as we moved more toward Greece was much dryer, warmer and sunny. 

Not saying the same will be the case for your May cruise, as weather is unpredictable.  But June, would certainly be warmer and probably dryer.  Perhaps too hot, even.  And probably much more crowded in your ports.  I think it's a matter of pros and cons that only you can decide.  I would do the May trip again in a heartbeat.  But yours is early June, so that's not all that different.  Pick your best itinerary and the one that dovetails best with your post-cruise plan.

You don't mention what line you're sailing, but I would be less concerned about Italian school kids than all school kids, as most cruises have an international base of customers (and many are heavily North American).

I also want to mention that June 2 is Republic Day in Rome (as well as it being a Sunday), which will mean crowds and some closures -- don't know if you are planning on sightseeing in Rome prior to your cruise, but just wanted to mention it.

I prefer cool weather.  So I always research the averages before booking a trip.  You can pick several towns in the Dolomites and research the temps, wind and precipitation for April, May and June.  That will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

As regards Venice, know that large ships no longer are allowed, so your final port may be Trieste or Ravenna.  The cruiselines can be a little cagey about this important fact, as many people are discovering.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Significant difference? Probably not. But I would take the June trip for the issues in the Dolomites. A heavy winter could negatively affect your access there. And you wouldn't know the affects until spring.

This is great advice. Thank you. I checked Cruisetimetables for the June trip and we're actually the only ship visiting for 5 of the 8 ports. The Dolomites may be the difference

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I just did a B2B Italy, Adriatic & Greece cruise on the Explorer of the Seas from May 8-21.  Pretty much the entire first week of the cruise was rainy, cool and overcast.  It didn't ruin the cruise, but I had to put on the rain coat, long pants and carry an umbrella everywhere.  I got wet.  The second half as we moved more toward Greece was much dryer, warmer and sunny. 

Not saying the same will be the case for your May cruise, as weather is unpredictable.  But June, would certainly be warmer and probably dryer.  Perhaps too hot, even.  And probably much more crowded in your ports.  I think it's a matter of pros and cons that only you can decide.  I would do the May trip again in a heartbeat.  But yours is early June, so that's not all that different.  Pick your best itinerary and the one that dovetails best with your post-cruise plan.

Wise words, thanks! My wife loves the warm and hates rain, cold and overcast, so that and the Dolomites may be the difference

15 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I prefer cool weather.  So I always research the averages before booking a trip.  You can pick several towns in the Dolomites and research the temps, wind and precipitation for April, May and June.  That will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

As regards Venice, know that large ships no longer are allowed, so your final port may be Trieste or Ravenna.  The cruiselines can be a little cagey about this important fact, as many people are discovering.

Good point, it's going to be Ravenna. Might have to think about Venice a bit more carefully. RE weather, we're Australians and enjoy the sunshine 😜

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

You don't mention what line you're sailing, but I would be less concerned about Italian school kids than all school kids, as most cruises have an international base of customers (and many are heavily North American).

I also want to mention that June 2 is Republic Day in Rome (as well as it being a Sunday), which will mean crowds and some closures -- don't know if you are planning on sightseeing in Rome prior to your cruise, but just wanted to mention it.

Celebrity Constellation 😁. My wife and I were talking about Republic day today; we might explore Rome on May 31 and June 1, then head to Civitavecchia to avoid the crowds. 

I've googled summer holiday periods for major European countries and the US; mostly seem to commence late June/early July

1 hour ago, Husbeef said:

Celebrity Constellation 😁. My wife and I were talking about Republic day today; we might explore Rome on May 31 and June 1, then head to Civitavecchia to avoid the crowds. 

I've googled summer holiday periods for major European countries and the US; mostly seem to commence late June/early July

Constellation is a favorite of mine; enjoy your cruise. Ravenna is a very nice city and deserves a day as well to see the mosaics there -- after Rome fell, it was the western Imperial capital....

In the US, school dates vary but I would say a significant minority of schools (and universities) end by the end of May.

Same as earlier post, we were in Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Naples & Zakynthos week of May 8th recently and while the temp was perfect there was rain most every day.  Didn’t let it ruin the experience but would have loved more sunshine.  All in all though from reading reviews of how hot it was last summer in Europe, I’m glad we went when we did.  

8 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Same as earlier post, we were in Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Naples & Zakynthos week of May 8th recently and while the temp was perfect there was rain most every day.  Didn’t let it ruin the experience but would have loved more sunshine.  All in all though from reading reviews of how hot it was last summer in Europe, I’m glad we went when we did.  

Having so much rain in early May is not normal weather for the region -- unfortunately no one can predict or control the weather. My "spring cherry blossom" Japan cruise was also dogged with unusually rainy weather this year. (After being delayed twice due to Covid.... 😢)

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Having so much rain in early May is not normal weather for the region -- unfortunately no one can predict or control the weather. My "spring cherry blossom" Japan cruise was also dogged with unusually rainy weather this year. (After being delayed twice due to Covid.... 😢)

Now that would be a reason to cry! 

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Have you posted about this cruise.  I went to Japan in 2016 and would love to dream about going back 😃

4 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Have you posted about this cruise.  I went to Japan in 2016 and would love to dream about going back 😃

Hlitner (another frequent poster here) started a "Live from...." thread on the Holland America forum and I added my own comments to it rather than start a different one. Sorry, you'll have to wade through a lot of HAL-specific shipboard complaints. 😆. But I did also include some nice photos (on non-rainy days).

• Like 1