The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 14th, 2023

richwmn

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Melanie @puppycanducruise.

The heat and humidity is something for us to consider in Panama.

New England sounds amazing and top of my list for later next year as we have 5 cruises booked.

Graham, yes the heat and humidity are a big consideration, however don’t let that stop you from going. There are many ways to avoid it, like just viewing from inside the ship especially the Crow’s Nest. I just went out for a bit once in a while and also went out on the shaded side of the ship on walk around deck which was great. There are many excursions in the hot and humid area that are only in buses like scenic drives. It’s a spectacular cruise!

10 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning (just barely). I have actually been up for hours .... this time voluntarily. Bandit is doing much better. He must have eaten something that disagreed with his little tummy. He is still on a light diet.

I was up at 5:30 this morning and walked the dogs. Temperature was 36F but we did a fairly long walk since I was due to have my annual eye exam at 7:40.... and why I booked that time I really can't explain. Passed the exam with flying colors so will not see that doctor again for a year.

Would eat the meal of the day if it was set before me but would not go out the way for it. I like the components on their own. Have been to today's destination....don't remember bugs as a problem and usually I get bitten if there are any bugs around.

I am still washing rugs. Yesterday was supposed to be sunny but showers rolled in mid-morning and lasted on and off all day. Some were really heavy. Not a time to be hanging rugs out to dry so cleaning continues today.

Lorraine @cruising sisterThe woman's behavior reminds me of an incident that happened to my Mother years ago. She lived in a retirement community and there was a couple there that had been college with her many years before. The were now leaving in the D.C area... but college had been in Portland< Oregon so they had lots of memories just shared between them. Unfortunately the woman passed away. Mom had dinner with the widower a couple of times afterward when they again talked about those old memories. Several women in the community were very nasty to Mom after that and Mom said the man was the subject of lots of attention from various widows. Eventually he moved out of the community and back to Portland to be with his daughter.... Mom said probably for peace and quiet.

Susan

Your description of your Mother’s retirement community sounds exactly like my own DM’s. 

6 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Hey Sharon by the time you get back home your pool should be perfect for swimming. I hope you are feeling well by now. Jane

Hi Jane!  Yes that’s exactly what I’m hoping about the pool. Wish we had solar. Thank you for the well wishes, yes I’m feeling much better. I’ve been on my meds full dose for 3 weeks now and yesterday was the first day that I wasn’t nauseous. Again, I’m sorry I had to bail out of our planned excursion to Butchart Gardens. 

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Tornado warning is over but we are having severe thunderstorms.  Lots of winds and rains.

On another note, the supervisor at the Post Office is not a person I ever want to deal with again.  What a sour individual.  I really got the impression that she would do anything I wanted if I greased her palm.  I, of course, did nothing of the sort.  It took 15 minutes of discussion (I kept my calm) until she finally agreed.  She made it very clear that if I did not pick up the mail on the day agreed she would send back every piece of mail they would hold.  

The last time I asked for this, it was so easy. The lady was so nice and it was no problem at all. Yet this time it had to be so contentious.  Interesting that it depends on who you talk to.

Tomorrow is packing day.  Nothing else to do and we should be ready to go on Friday afternoon.

Good night and God Bless,

Terri

I think some people in customer service feel the need to be pushy about “stuff”.  It makes them feel powerful. Having worked in that area for my entire working years I always made sure that I treated others like I would want to be treated. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, erewhon said:

@grapau27  Graham,  when we cruised the Panama Canal, San Diego to Fort Lauderdale, return to San Diego, we were not bothered by any insects.

If you wish to take Pauline to visit her cousin in Australia, book Business or First Class seats for the flights.  Singapore Airlines is very good, you could stop over for a night or two in Singapore, if not the airport is very user friendly.    If you travel First or Business class,  go to  the airline lounge, there is time to have a shower to freshen up before the second leg of the journey.   On long haul flights, we find that it is easy to sleep on the lie flat seats.

Thank you for your advice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Graham, yes the heat and humidity are a big consideration, however don’t let that stop you from going. There are many ways to avoid it, like just viewing from inside the ship especially the Crow’s Nest. I just went out for a bit once in a while and also went out on the shaded side of the ship on walk around deck which was great. There are many excursions in the hot and humid area that are only in buses like scenic drives. It’s a spectacular cruise!

Your description of your Mother’s retirement community sounds exactly like my own DM’s. 

Hi Jane!  Yes that’s exactly what I’m hoping about the pool. Wish we had solar. Thank you for the well wishes, yes I’m feeling much better. I’ve been on my meds full dose for 3 weeks now and yesterday was the first day that I wasn’t nauseous. Again, I’m sorry I had to bail out of our planned excursion to Butchart Gardens. 

I think some people in customer service feel the need to be pushy about “stuff”.  It makes them feel powerful. Having worked in that area for my entire working years I always made sure that I treated others like I would want to be treated. 

Thank you Sharon for your good information.

Graham.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I don't like heat and humidity at all, but live where we have plenty of both in the summer. It hasn't kept me from travel to places that are hotter than I enjoy, but it makes a difference to be able to get out of the heat, especially for sleep.

Graham's concern about it reminds me that both the climate and the attitude about it are different in the U.K. from here. When I've visited England in the summer, people have often said to me, "You should go to Greece," or "You should go to Spain," adding, "It's hot there." They couldn't understand that I came to England partly to get out of the heat over here.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1