Once and done with Norwegian. Ugh.

bobkat11

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

NCL hasn't historically priced according to supply demand. They have been known to hold prices artificially high and then dump cabins at the 30 day mark, resulting in widespread  disparity in pricing. We appreciate this model as we are able to travel last minute and benefit from fire sales.

Prima’s fares, even for close sailings this month and next seem high.  I have scored deals on close sailings.  Prima doesn’t seem to be dropping, though.  I’ve been keeping an eye on them as I want to sail the Prima.  Can’t find a decent fare.

I can find some nice fares on their old ships, but that’s typical of all cruise lines. 

And, the Epic fares in Europe are very attractive, as are the Alaska cruises!

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Prima’s fares, even for close sailings this month and next seem high.  I have scored deals on close sailings.  Prima doesn’t seem to be dropping, though.  I’ve been keeping an eye on them as I want to sail the Prima.  Can’t find a decent fare.

Try looking on the Viva, very similar ship. We found decent prices on balcony cabin for next March.

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I have no issue with some going to MSC.  Mentioned in another thread…they tried to raise my fare for a cruise AFTER I had already booked with them.  Not looking to book them any time again.  Although, their YC INSIDE cabin fares were attractive.  Not as good as my Haven fare in the Spa Suite, but not bad.  I just can’t do inside cabins any more.

Can you link to the thread? (Tried to find it, promise!) I want to hear this story!

15 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

If this is true, it's a bit ridiculous. NCL scheduled a port that has always been tender-only for larger mass market ships, with the hope that the pier there would be dredged and extended... then didn't have a contingency plan to shift to tendering knowing the pier wasn't complete? And then tried to pass this off to the passengers as a surprise, not something shoreside certainly knew in advance? If so: yikes.

Also, there's no way NCL built a new, mid-sized class of cruise ship that doesn't have the ability to tender, right?

I think most of you forget there are two parties involved in this fiasco in isafjordur, NCL and the port authority. I am sure these port calls are set up at least a couple of years ahead of time. Maybe more. If NCL contracted a dock in 2023 and was given a berth by authorities that is what the cruise line has every right to  expect. The dock wasn't ready. Many other ships contracted to tender (right? NCL PRIMA isn't the only ship there) so who's to say there was no space for them to tender or even anchor in a safe place? It is a small harbor. Maybe it is much more expensive to tender than dock so finances come in to play. Seems to me the port authority is holding a large part of the blame. But.... And I know this from experience when last year the Sun hit an iceberg while I was aboard, NCL has got to be the worst communicators in the cruise business. If they are canceling a port give us the details! Explain what happened and what they expect will happen on future calls at the port. I can live with a change or a we're not sure what will happen on the next call, if I know why. I can't forgive them for knowing but not sharing with their guests. That is just plain rude and uncaring. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, cc-riderslc said:

I think most of you forget there are two parties involved in this fiasco in isafjordur, NCL and the port authority. I am sure these port calls are set up at least a couple of years ahead of time. Maybe more. If NCL contracted a dock in 2023 and was given a berth by authorities that is what the cruise line has every right to  expect. The dock wasn't ready. Many other ships contracted to tender (right? NCL PRIMA isn't the only ship there) so who's to say there was no space for them to tender or even anchor in a safe place? It is a small harbor. Maybe it is much more expensive to tender than dock so finances come in to play. Seems to me the port authority is holding a large part of the blame. But.... And I know this from experience when last year the Sun hit an iceberg while I was aboard, NCL has got to be the worst communicators in the cruise business. If they are canceling a port give us the details! Explain what happened and what they expect will happen on future calls at the port. I can live with a change or a we're not sure what will happen on the next call, if I know why. I can't forgive them for knowing but not sharing with their guests. That is just plain rude and uncaring. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. If the dock isn't ready and there are other extenuating circumstances, just let the passengers know. Don't have different "explanations" when asked. I've heard now in this and other threads that it's due to port congestion, not having tender boats (?), weather. Just tell the truth.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, destar said:

Try looking on the Viva, very similar ship. We found decent prices on balcony cabin for next March.

Just starting to look at Viva.  Thanks for the heads up.

Booked the EPIC for October.  Not thinking I’ll cruise again this year aside from that one.  Looking at some sailings for next year, though.  I have a couple more  certs left.

Edited by graphicguy

13 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

Can you link to the thread? (Tried to find it, promise!) I want to hear this story!

Didn’t make a thread about it.  I’ve mentioned it a few times.  Not much to it.

In a nutshell, I booked one of the new MSC ships in an Aurea cabin. Booked it.  Paid for it.  I even had a cabin assigned.  A day later, I get an email stating my fare was wrong and they wanted ~$700 more.  I’ve cruised enough that I just don’t argue with any of the cruise lines.  I state my case, if they dig in their heels, I don’t bother wasting any time.  My time is worth more than to go 10 rounds with ANY cruise line over issues that were clearly their fault.

USed my AMEX to book it.  Sent them all the info.  They took care of the rest and I got my money brick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just looked, Prima sailing 9 days in Europe for Oct, even for an inside cabin with FAS is $2,400.  Use my 20% off, that’s still $2,000, approx.  BAlcony, which I would book at a minimum, is $3,600 with FAS…..less my 20%, is still ~$3,000.

Galveston to the Caribbean is a little better, but not by much.

Again, I’m in a Haven Spa Suite on the Epic for October, 11 days Europe.  I’m at ~$4,000 all in after applying my coupon.  Plus, I’ve got some OBC from my booking agent.  To me, that’s a good deal!!!!!

Get 2 Speciality dinners for my Latitudes status. Get some free laundry.  Get all the FAS (drinks and another 2 Specialty Dinners), some excursion credits and some internet (which I’ll upgrade given I usually post at CC live, when I can).

Personally, I don’t consider those fares on Prima to be any sort of deal.

Cursory glance at VIVA, and the fares are even higher.

Again, until the demand for either the Prima and/or Viva starts to tail off (2024?), I’ll sit on the sidelines for those ships to wait and see where the fares are next year.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Saw the same thing.  They must be filing the Prima given the fares are not dropping.

I did look at a sailing on her using a 20% coupon NCL attached to my Latitudes account for a Prima Europe cruise.  Made it better.  But, still not the “screaming deals” I was able to get on the other NCL ships.

I still have one 20%-50% off Latitudes coupon for Alaska, which make them a screaming deal.  But, just got back from there a few months ago.  And, they were on the older ships, and the Breakaway plus ships.

I am jealous once again. What is your secret to receiving those coupons? 

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just looked, Prima sailing 9 days in Europe for Oct, even for an inside cabin with FAS is $2,400.  Use my 20% off, that’s still $2,000, approx.  BAlcony, which I would book at a minimum, is $3,600 with FAS…..less my 20%, is still ~$3,000.

Galveston to the Caribbean is a little better, but not by much.

I guess you aren't able to go last minute as I had suggested above. NCL holds prices artificially high early on. You can get on a 10 or 11 day Prima Iceland sailing in July for under $1,000 per person. Check it out if you are able to sail then and interested in the itinerary.

• Like 1

I’ve had my eyes on the Prima since I saw her hit the water.

Even sailing close in on her….11 day Europe cruise in a Balcony Cabin is high….$5,600 for a Balcony, less my 20% is still well over ~$4K.  I’m sailing in the Haven for less than that on Epic.

Inside cabins are going for  nearly ~$2K on that sailing, too.  It’s just a very expensive booking until demand falls off for the Prima.  I watch NCL fares pretty closely and am always on the lookout for a cruise deal.  The PRIMA demand is just too high right now to get any sort of deal.

Total
$5,613.50 
STATEROOM
2 Guests
  • Balcony 
    $7,166 
    70% OFF 2nd Guest
    $4,657.90
FREE AT SEA
  • Open Bar
    Selected
  • Specialty Dining
    Selected
  • Shore Excursions
    Included
  • WiFi
    Included
+MORE OFFERS
  • 70% OFF 2nd Guest
    Included
  • Subtotal 
    $4,657.90 
  • Gov. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses 
    $440.40 
  • Open Bar Gratuities 
    $479.60 
  • Specialty Dining Gratuities 
    $35.60 
Total Due
$5,613.50

Yeah, I guess if you want a balcony. I'd take the interior on 10 day July 6 sailing if I really wanted to sail Prima and use the additional $3,000 for air, tips, etc. Maybe make an upgrade advantage bid...the drawbacks of last minute cruising.

I am on the mobile site and I guess they are now excluding port charges from the total presented price. Total price closer to $2,600, or $1,300 pp inclusive of taxes, open bar, internet etc. In any event, good luck to you.Screenshot_20230619-104432.thumb.png.9ca53aa91e0cdd5387c4cfae5b59246e.png

Edited by luv2kroooz

Dang, it's getting depressing to read another negative Prima review. 

I almost cancelled a few months back before final payment because the negative reviews were trickling in back then but decided to go ahead with it.  I hope I don't regret that decision in the end.  I will go into it with an open mind and hope for the best. 

At least most of the reviews of the food and cabins are positive.  I am not really big on cruise ship entertainment so that doesn't bother me a ton that it seems to be lacking, although having a comedy show or one other show besides the headliner might be nice. 

I am curious how people who buy thermal spa passes feel about cold weather sailings on the Prima.  My thinking was that being a cold weather cruise, having a place to retreat to like the spa would be a big benefit.  On my Alaska cruise years ago, I made extensive use of the thermal spa passes and it was great to have that quiet time and space. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cc-riderslc said:

It's not entirely similar, but it reminds me of our planned late Feb 2020 trip on the Jade in Southeast Asia, from Hong Kong to Singapore. At that point, COVID was well established in China, and the port of HK was shut down to cruise traffic.

NCL *insisted* that our cruise would leave from Hong Kong as scheduled. No, "we're working on a solution" messaging, no notes in the system, just the cruise is leaving from a port that is no longer open. 10 days before our trip, they sent an email saying "surprise, it's actually going to be a RT Singapore cruise, but we're going to pay to change the flights and fare difference," (which they later tried to renege on). We had at least a week of our roll call flummoxed that instead of figuring out an update, NCL's solution was just to pretend like nothing was happening.

I've always found this to be such an odd part of NCL's corporate culture: instead of being upfront and communicative with their guests, they just get weird over stuff, which might be completely out of their control and very explainable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I've always found this to be such an odd part of NCL's corporate culture: instead of being upfront and communicative with their guests, they just get weird over stuff, which might be completely out of their control and very explainable!

yup.

the number one rule to combat bad press or a negative story: get out in front and be honest. own and control the narrative, rather than let others control the story for you. if you don't get out in front and don't fully disclose the extent of the problem and propose a reasonable solution, you will forever be playing catch up. NCL hasn't learned this. or, if they have, they're doing a very good job of ignoring this fundamental principle.

as for their corporate culture, such as it is, you know what pete drucker would say about that: "culture eats strategy for breakfast."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I am jealous once again. What is your secret to receiving those coupons? 

I really don't know.  They just show up in my account.  Why?  I have no answer and they aren't telling me.  LOL!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yeah, I guess if you want a balcony. I'd take the interior on 10 day July 6 sailing if I really wanted to sail Prima and use the additional $3,000 for air, tips, etc. Maybe make an upgrade advantage bid...the drawbacks of last minute cruising.

I am on the mobile site and I guess they are now excluding port charges from the total presented price. Total price closer to $2,600, or $1,300 pp inclusive of taxes, open bar, internet etc. In any event, good luck to you.Screenshot_20230619-104432.thumb.png.9ca53aa91e0cdd5387c4cfae5b59246e.png

See....an inside cabin for $2K+ isn't an attractive fare to me.  IT tells me that even their least expensive cabins are pricey.  That means even close in, they're about to sell out and the fares reflect that.

12 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

It's not entirely similar, but it reminds me of our planned late Feb 2020 trip on the Jade in Southeast Asia, from Hong Kong to Singapore. At that point, COVID was well established in China, and the port of HK was shut down to cruise traffic.

NCL *insisted* that our cruise would leave from Hong Kong as scheduled. No, "we're working on a solution" messaging, no notes in the system, just the cruise is leaving from a port that is no longer open. 10 days before our trip, they sent an email saying "surprise, it's actually going to be a RT Singapore cruise, but we're going to pay to change the flights and fare difference," (which they later tried to renege on). We had at least a week of our roll call flummoxed that instead of figuring out an update, NCL's solution was just to pretend like nothing was happening.

One of the chronic annoyances of travel is lack of communication.  Actually, that's true of 'life'.  To me, it's clear that not communicating is much better for the travel provider.  And here's why I think that.  It's a great deal of effort to communicate any change with thousands of people.  Someone has to work hard to formulate the exact wording of a change notice.  The change announcement is made, the phone rings for weeks.  Someone has to answer those calls, someone has to interpret the announcement individually (for some pax), someone has to listen to the complaints and rants, someone has to handle all the details of changing flights and reimbursing pax who booked their own air.  Someone has to spend time on the phone with pax who want to cancel the cruise, and perhaps rebook it.  Then there's dealing with those pax at the last minute who didn't get the announcement and starting all over again, only worse.  This entire procedure costs a fortune.  So the travel provider just doesn't communicate.  If the change announcement is made at the last minute, more pax will tend to just gnash their teeth and deal with it.  I think it's purely a business decision.   

When a situation happens during a cruise, such as shutting off the water to 25% of the ship for 12 hours, there's no excuse for lack of communication.  We didn't even get an acknowledgement of the problem, much less an apology!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

See....an inside cabin for $2K+ isn't an attractive fare to me.  IT tells me that even their least expensive cabins are pricey.  That means even close in, they're about to sell out and the fares reflect that.

Ok. The base fare is $849. Rock bottom rates for a 10 day interior might be $549. You are probably $300 or so away from rock bottom rate. If you are looking for base rate below $549 that realistically isn't going to happen. Everything else is a fixed cost. I wouldn't book at current price either, though.

Edited by luv2kroooz

@graphicguy  Hey, how's retirement for you ... speaking of the Prima, have you look at her TA, 11 days/nights BCN to NYC - FWIW, it's not selling well (Viva's TA isn't either, for whatever reasons, at this point & it's not quite final payment/cancel deadline yet.)  Check it out, airfares & hotel deals < on your "own" > to be found - the "spacious" balcony should do (BF) - just priced it, cruising solo - $2,200 all inclusive including your basic unlimited beverage.  Between your TA, Amex & deals/discounts and if DSC is covered, sweet !!  We're looking at her NY repo to Galveston, TX which I suspect will eventually fill up.  Sea days, these crossing are always a toss up but there's 3 ("planned") short/quick port stops to get off & stretch.  Friends on a similar TA - different ship - last Fall ended up skipping ports & ship took a big detour going southerly, dropped down to the Caribbean seas with great weather before turning north toward NY.  Was just chatting this weekend with an old TA friend about MSC when this came up at a friend's 80th b'day.  

Regards - Henry 

Back on topic - been reading, following recent threads & feedbacks regarding the Prima ... that's on top of direct observations from extended families & friends that sailed her this Spring, none too positive about this new ship, if at all.  And, trending the wrong way against the promised upscale experience - not surprised one bit about the comments by OP.  Harry & company in Miami has got work to do to "fix" and make changes, and the onboard GM has got to face the songs & music coming from passengers.  Some of the issues, I think, are partially with the ports and can't really do much if a given sailing run into rough weather & seas, except for their contingency and backup plans to manage passenger dis/satisfactions ...  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I really don't know.  They just show up in my account.  Why?  I have no answer and they aren't telling me.  LOL!

I have no idea used one, rest mine timed.

out, did not know they were there.

I did a cruise, look continuously for new ones and  go through to payment pages.

2 more discounts  appeared , the new cruise we have booked not worth using them would lose more TA discount.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@graphicguy  Hey, how's retirement for you ... speaking of the Prima, have you look at her TA, 11 days/nights BCN to NYC - FWIW, it's not selling well (Viva's TA isn't either, for whatever reasons, at this point & it's not quite final payment/cancel deadline yet.)  Check it out, airfares & hotel deals to be found - the "spacious" balcony should do (BF) - just priced it, cruising solo - $2,200 all inclusive including your basic unlimited beverage.  Between your TA, Amex & deals/discounts and if DSC is covered, sweet !!  We're looking at her NY repo to Galveston, TX which I suspect will eventually fill up.  Sea days, these crossing are always a toss up but there's 3 short/quick port stops to get off & stretch.  Was just chatting this weekend with an old TA friend about MSC when this came up at a friend's 80th b'day.  

Regards - Henry 

Hey Henry....I'm good.  Thanks for asking. You?  Loved your last cruise review.

I have looked pretty intently at both Viva and Prima.  I was unable to find a date/itinerary on either of them that made me want to pull the trigger.  I do want to sail them, though.  @sid_9169 review of the Prima really piqued my interest.

But, while looking, I found some other good deals on itineraries I'd enjoy.  That's how I ended up on the Epic.  Plus, the last time I sailed the Epic, my (then) GF and I found it so enjoyable, we pledged to do it again.  Well, the GF has come and gone, but my promise to sail her again remained.

The recent Europe coupons made the sailing very attractive.  So, I'm booked.

Although, $2,200 solo in a Balcony does look interesting.  I'll give it a look-see.

Oh yeah....retirement doesn't feel like retirement.  I taught a tech course at the local community college this year.  Pay sucks but I'm not doing it for the pay.  I do like being involved in adults who really want to expand their horizons by paying their own nickels to take my courses.  They want me to come back in Sept, but I'm not sure I want to commit to a couple of nites every week.  That interferes a bit with my travel schedule.  We'll see!  And, I'm on the Citizen Advisory Committee in my home community.  So, although I'm officially retired, I seem to fill days and evenings.

MSC tried to burn me.  So, still a little salty about that.  Not sure how long it will take for me to look at them, again.

11 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

I have no idea used one, rest mine timed.

out, did not know they were there.

I did a cruise, look continuously for new ones and  go through to payment pages.

2 more discounts  appeared , the new cruise we have booked not worth using them would lose more TA discount.

Hmmmm....my TA booked using my coupons, and they gave me their typical OBC and discounts.  I would think the coupons wouldn't affect the TA, with the possible exception that TAs are paid on gross cruise revenue bookings.  But, I don't know how that works.