What Do You Bring to Make Long-term Cruising More Enjoyable?

CHEOPTERA

I am planning to inhabit a cruise ship for an extended period, and although the shore times are long, numerous at sea days are unavoidable.  What do you bring along (if anyting) to make the sea days more enjoyable? I am interested in what worked and what didn't.

11 hours ago, CHEOPTERA said:

I am planning to inhabit a cruise ship for an extended period, and although the shore times are long, numerous at sea days are unavoidable.  What do you bring along (if anyting) to make the sea days more enjoyable? I am interested in what worked and what didn't.

Just out of interest, what do you consider an extended period? Since this is the World Cruising Board, 4 to 6 months is a normal length of cruise. I survived 9-months on 1 ship and that was getting a bit tiresome by the end. Did you book that 3-yr cruise?

Personally, my only issue with sea days is that some of them only had the normal 24 hrs, so it was tough to fit everything in and still have time to sleep.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Spent too many years on old ships with no women....  Makes one appreciate what you have..🍺

Fortunately, my old ships were a little different. Rumour is I may have even met DW on one of them when she was paying my wages.😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Just out of interest, what do you consider an extended period? Since this is the World Cruising Board, 4 to 6 months is a normal length of cruise. I survived 9-months on 1 ship and that was getting a bit tiresome by the end. Did you book that 3-yr cruise?

Personally, my only issue with sea days is that some of them only had the normal 24 hrs, so it was tough to fit everything in and still have time to sleep.

Yes, I booked the three year cruise with Victoria Cruise Lines.  I am generally pretty self-entertaining, especially after spending nearly four years in a country where I don't speak the language.  That said, everyone is subject to bouts of boredom.

Watch movies/tv, read books, check email, pay bills, write letters home, cross stitch, knit, crochet, do puzzles, re-organize your room, play solitaire, get adult coloring books (map pencils and sharpener), learn a new hobby, learn a new language (babel), hang out at the pool/bar/gym, walk the decks, take a nap, and make friends so you have someone to talk to.

How much luggage can you take?

• Like 1

From what I gather about the Victoria Cruise, there will be opportunities for language classes on board. I've always felt my education was lacking because I'm not multi-lingual. I know enough to ask where the nearest loo is in a smattering of languages, but to be fluent, to be able to converse without internally translating in a tongue I wasn't born to... that would be a great accomplishment!

I love music, so I'd bring a couple of books of piano pieces and look for an unused piano on board. I wonder if there will be a passenger choir for you. You can't help but make connections with people you make music with.  

The DH and I always enjoy art classes when we're on board..more for the process than the end product, believe me. It's fun to rediscover your playful side.

Have a wonderful 3 years, Cheoptera. If you blog about your adventures, I will sign up to follow YOU!

• Like 2

Two large suitcases is what is listed, but I will probably also be bringing a backpack for my electronics and a big ole bag of various toiletries.  I think they list two large bags because the bags fit well under the bed.

11 minutes ago, dbali said:

Watch movies/tv, read books, check email, pay bills, write letters home, cross stitch, knit, crochet, do puzzles, re-organize your room, play solitaire, get adult coloring books (map pencils and sharpener), learn a new hobby, learn a new language (babel), hang out at the pool/bar/gym, walk the decks, take a nap, and make friends so you have someone to talk to.

How much luggage can you take?

18 minutes ago, CHEOPTERA said:

Two large suitcases is what is listed, but I will probably also be bringing a backpack for my electronics and a big ole bag of various toiletries.  I think they list two large bags because the bags fit well under the bed.

I think that more than 2 cases will fit under the bed but in any case, you could also ship stuff in boxes.

I agree with Aquadesiac, please let us know if you decide to blog.  I would love to follow along.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 12:28 AM, CHEOPTERA said:

I take about the same amount of stuff for a short cruise (7-15 days) as I do for a longer cruise (15+).  My must haves include my insulated drink mug for morning coffee, a small electric travel fan, and more books in my Kindle app. If it's on Princess I bring a foldable camping chair for my cabin since they removed the barrel chairs and one is relegated to sitting on a desk chair or the bed.

• Like 3

I love learning new things, so I'd take any onboard class. I'm also a writer, so much of my day is spent inside my head. I watch people. I write down ideas. My mind starts to run and sometimes I have a hard time to keep up with everything I want to write and do, and research can keep me busy for hours.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A small, rechargeable fan will make your cabin more comfortable in hot weather. A tablet/Kindle with lots of books downloaded plus the ability to download more.

Do you listen to podcasts? Find a few that have daily or weekly episodes that you can enjoy while sunbathing on deck or walking the treadmill in the gym.
Take advantage of all the lectures and classes that are offered... Not only will you learn something new, but you may also make some new friends!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just did 6 months on the Viking Neptune.  It’s amazing how crammed sea days can get and you not even touch the stuff you brought along with you!  
For example, I brought a knitting project along and the only reason I opened the bag and started working on it was because I had 5 days quarantined in my cabin with Covid.  This happened about 2/3 the way through our cruise.

I also had my iPad, a Kindle (which is loaded with more books than I could ever read) and we brought along a small Bose Bluetooth speaker so we could play music in our cabin.  However, we wound up spending much more time socializing with new friends.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My husband is bringing his small “ travel bass” with a bass in a box amplifier and headphones.

me…some small packets of food seasonings. Since covid foods aren’t tasty or could be the ships meals look lovely but taste bland. I’ve never tried bringing my own spices, should be an interesting challenge.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 1:38 PM, Aquadesiac said:

From what I gather about the Victoria Cruise, there will be opportunities for language classes on board. I've always felt my education was lacking because I'm not multi-lingual. I know enough to ask where the nearest loo is in a smattering of languages, but to be fluent, to be able to converse without internally translating in a tongue I wasn't born to... that would be a great accomplishment!

I love music, so I'd bring a couple of books of piano pieces and look for an unused piano on board. I wonder if there will be a passenger choir for you. You can't help but make connections with people you make music with.  

The DH and I always enjoy art classes when we're on board..more for the process than the end product, believe me. It's fun to rediscover your playful side.

Have a wonderful 3 years, Cheoptera. If you blog about your adventures, I will sign up to follow YOU!

Several years back, DH a jazz bassist coupled up with an excellent jazz pianist onboard. The pianist did as you want, found a lonely piano waiting for a touch. DH knew where there was a bass. They had a ball jamming in the morning. Generally passengers in our experience, are not allowed to touch the ship’s instruments. The hotel manager joined the other guest who were listening saying go ahead. All was fine until the fourth morning when person in her robe, who had a cabin nearby, complained. On another cruise a ukulele group was formed. 

On that note I’ll bring my travel set of water colors, glue stick and papers. I’m a collage mix-media artist who enjoys making art in the form of birthday cards for friends met onboard. One of the waitstaff said as I was rushing to class “ slowdown you are on vacation “ . We sail on the Queen Victoria out of SFO Feb. 2024.

Cheoptera…what doesn’t work- hanging around the buffet. 

Edited by rtdiva
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...