Porters at the pier in Barcelona ( other European cities too )

Hi Everyone 

To you folks who are experienced European cruisers , can you tell me if the luggage drop off in Barcelona ( as well as other European cities ) is the same as it is here in the USA, with the porters taking your luggage at the pier ? 
Also is the disembarkation in Barcelona ( and the other European cities) the same as here in the USA ? Meaning , that porters are available if you need one .

Thanks in advance.

Last time I was in Barcelona was back in 2016.  I recall something similar to that in Trieste last month.  That is that staff  help you hand in your luggage, checking that you have the correct labels.  However we walked with our luggage from the taxi to luggage drop.   On disembarking allof the luggage was laid out for us to collect ourselves.  

Those using shuttles to and from the airport may have had more help.  On our return at Venice Marco Polo we saw a good number of cruisers being guided through the airport.  I cannot recall seeing anyone with mountains of luggage.  

not sure how helpful that was.

• Thanks 1

In my experience in Europe, there are definitely luggage workers who take your luggage as you approach the terminal.  But they don't generally meet you at your taxi/car with a dolly or cart like I've seen in some USA ports.  You need to be able to get your luggage from your vehicle over to the terminal building location where the workers will take it from you and usually put it thru a door that goes into the building or load it on to big carts which will go directly to the dock..  You then walk little bit to where passengers enter the building.  Obviously, the distances vary due to differences in terminals, but it's mostly the same.

For disembarking, I never really noticed porters, but I don't look for them since I don't use them.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

As very independent travelers/cruisers we have learned to never expect (or depend on porters) in Europe.  At the ports, there are luggage drop off areas (generally outside the terminal just like in the USA) where they do have port workers who will take your luggage and get it onto the ship.  When you debark, the workers will also get the luggage off the ship and have it piled at a pick-up point (in or near the terminal or pier).  But getting help beyond those points is not the norm.

I take this discussion to the next level which is land travel.  One reason (among many) that we prefer to have a rental car in Europe, as opposed to using trains, is because of luggage logistics.  With a car, we simply pile our luggage in the car and do our own thing.  With trains, you are generally on your own to get luggage through huge train stations, onto the trains, and either on a luggage rack (if there is one) or piled somewhere (often at the end of the cars).    Some of the trains involve a step (or two) and that can be a problem for DW (who is usually pulling a large suitcase).  We are still healthy and strong enough to handle all the luggage, but at some point (likely in our 80s) we can see it becoming a real hassle.

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

As very independent travelers/cruisers we have learned to never expect (or depend on porters) in Europe.  At the ports, there are luggage drop off areas (generally outside the terminal just like in the USA) where they do have port workers who will take your luggage and get it onto the ship.  When you debark, the workers will also get the luggage off the ship and have it piled at a pick-up point (in or near the terminal or pier).  But getting help beyond those points is not the norm.

I take this discussion to the next level which is land travel.  One reason (among many) that we prefer to have a rental car in Europe, as opposed to using trains, is because of luggage logistics.  With a car, we simply pile our luggage in the car and do our own thing.  With trains, you are generally on your own to get luggage through huge train stations, onto the trains, and either on a luggage rack (if there is one) or piled somewhere (often at the end of the cars).    Some of the trains involve a step (or two) and that can be a problem for DW (who is usually pulling a large suitcase).  We are still healthy and strong enough to handle all the luggage, but at some point (likely in our 80s) we can see it becoming a real hassle.

Hank

Hank I want you to travel forever.  I love your wise advice.  

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Cafabi said:

How much should I tip? We will have 3 large suitcases.

Nothing. They are baggage workers, not porters

(this is, tip them the same you tip in a Baggage claim in an airport)

Hmm. I have read several posts on other threads about the workers aggressively soliciting tips. Apparently Virgin Voyages has a "tips included" policy that their passengers believed applied to the dock workers. But it does not cover them not as they are not VV employees, and the workers were rude about it.

7 hours ago, Cafabi said:

Hmm. I have read several posts on other threads about the workers aggressively soliciting tips. Apparently Virgin Voyages has a "tips included" policy that their passengers believed applied to the dock workers. But it does not cover them not as they are not VV employees, and the workers were rude about it.

Mmmm... I will be in Barcelona pier in a couple of months.

I am sure they will not ask me for a tip.

Nor agresively, nor pacifically, nor nothing....

Tips concept is not included in Spain (nor in other countries of Europe). They have a right salary and you have payed for a service "all included".

Other issue is they know you are used to tip.... they will ask a tip.

for tips, I wrote here

17 hours ago, Cafabi said:

In which ports?

I have never tipped at European ports.  Never will.  They are paid a proper rate and tipping is not the norm in Europe.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

tipping is not the norm in Europe.

Agreed that's the case for most countries. Spain is certainly a low/no tip country and, when we were at Barcelona last year, I'm sure we didnt tip the porter. Not least as the taxi rank was only about 30 metres away, almost immediately outside - had I realised that was the case I wouldnt have needed a porter. 

Very different from a story on a cruise Facebook page in the last day or so of a traveller being told by a porter at Miami port, when they were checking in, that they'd need to tip him to, ahem, ensure their bags got on board safely and didnt get "lost".

2 hours ago, Cafabi said:

@alserrodOK thanks for your expert local advice. I will try to give off a "no somos turistas tontos" vibe and see what happens.

Try to pretend as an European tourist. Never mind which country, but.... they know Europeans do not tip!!!

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

In which ports?

OK so I went and looked again and realized that 1. This was on Reddit and not CC like I thought. and 2. Although Barcelona was mentioned in the thread (this is how it turned up in my search) the comments may have been about ports in general and not Barcelona in particular. Thanks everyone for setting me straight. I am happy to learn this information.

17 minutes ago, Cafabi said:

OK so I went and looked again and realized that 1. This was on Reddit and not CC like I thought. and 2. Although Barcelona was mentioned in the thread (this is how it turned up in my search) the comments may have been about ports in general and not Barcelona in particular. Thanks everyone for setting me straight. I am happy to learn this information.

In most ports in Europe you will need to carry your bag into the terminal yourself.  Then they are taken from you.  Even if you wanted to tip, there is no time.  It is mostly a smooth operation and if you try to tip you are inconveniencing the person behind you.

Again, please conside Europe as a 'Tip Free Zone'.  Round up if you must, but forget your +15%, +20% and (how did it get to ......) +25% 🙄