Prima...Islafjord

SakeDad

Just to add on for the sailing July 6th, my external tour just notified me it is cancelled since they were notified that Prima won’t be docking on the 7th.  It is my first time on a NCL ship but they def dropped the ball on communicating this to their customers.  I guess they can make more money by making it a sea day and forcing people to spend money on the boat versus off it.  

4 minutes ago, Snate said:

Just to add on for the sailing July 6th, my external tour just notified me it is cancelled since they were notified that Prima won’t be docking on the 7th.  It is my first time on a NCL ship but they def dropped the ball on communicating this to their customers.  I guess they can make more money by making it a sea day and forcing people to spend money on the boat versus off it.  

At least they’ve started to communicate with the external tour operators… that’s something, at least. 

7 minutes ago, Snate said:

I guess they can make more money by making it a sea day and forcing people to spend money on the boat versus off it.  

NCL makes a boatload (see what i did there?) of money on excursions. they would prefer to visit each port, as scheduled, so as not to lose that revenue.

there is something mysterious about their ability to tender that they are repeatedly not disclosing, whether that is a physical restriction, an equipment limitation, or a monetary consideration. but they are horrible at communicating, that's for sure.

i'm not sure that NCL told the tour operator they wouldn't be calling on the port. i wouldn't give them credit for that. that information probably came from the port itself.

38 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i'm not sure that NCL told the tour operator they wouldn't be calling on the port. i wouldn't give them credit for that. that information probably came from the port itself.

That's possible.  On this forum, it was reported that when NCL cancelled all remaining port stops in Valdez for the season, people first found out when the town issued a press release, and 2 days later NCL sent out emails cancelling the port.

NCL may be updating their subcontracted local private tour operators (these are the people who live in Iceland and actually run NCL's tours for them).  The local tour providers may all know each other, especially in a town this small.  When I was on a private tour in Belize and we were running late, my independent tour driver was texting the ship tour providers to get their location because he knew the ship wouldn't leave without them and we just needed to get back to the port before them.  If NCL informed the local tour operators running the ship tours about the expected cancellations they might tell the private tour operators what is happening.

On my sailing to the Dominican Republic nearly a year after they ran a ship aground in their port and wouldn't bring larger ships there, people first found out about the problems from the local independent vendors, so they (and hopefully also the local government) will hopefully be able to help you navigate this situation as best as possible. I hope the local governments become aware of NCL's communication issues, because it would be really helpful if they could notify passengers of the situation on the ground if NCL won't notify passengers.

Edited by kitkat343

Just got the official email from NCL.  Isafjordur will be replaced on our July 6th sailing with a 1:00 PM arrival and overnight in Akureyri.   Departure the following day from Akureyri is the same 4:00 PM.  

• Like 2

Following all of this closely.  We are not scheduled for our Iceland to Southampton cruise until Sept 2024 and with things like this and all the terrible talk of Prima we are really second guessing the entire cruise.

Problem is this cruise is hitting all the things we want and I bought when pricing wasn't horrific so I am less than 4k all in with the upgraded Free at Sea Plus.

Really hoping these port cancellations and more importantly a lot of the issues with Prima can be ironed out before my final payment is due in May.  Will be our first NCL cruise but I am not getting warm and fuzzy vibes from it that is for sure.

4 hours ago, Snate said:

Considering the drinks and food are already paid for for the most part unless your gambling or buying from the shops they are not making more money on a sea day when they have had to refund all the excursion fees. 

2 hours ago, Phzx90 said:

Just got the official email from NCL.  Isafjordur will be replaced on our July 6th sailing with a 1:00 PM arrival and overnight in Akureyri.   Departure the following day from Akureyri is the same 4:00 PM.  

Odd...the letter I saw posted for this week's cruise leaves at 4 AM, meaning they have a sea day before Reykjavik. 

16 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

Odd...the letter I saw posted for this week's cruise leaves at 4 AM, meaning they have a sea day before Reykjavik. 

My mother-in-law is on this week's cruise and said they have an overnight in Akureyri. Definitely weird

36 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

19 minutes ago, chillyw said:

My mother-in-law is on this week's cruise and said they have an overnight in Akureyri. Definitely weird

If the ship is going from Reykjavik (next week) you will be bypassing Isafjordur and arrive in Akureyri at 1pm instead of Isafjordur, and stay there overnight until the next day and leave at normal departure time. 

If the ship is heading to Reykjavik (this week) you stay in Akureyri past the departure time until 4am and you bypass Isafjordur on way to Reykjavik, arriving there on schedule. 

• Like 3