Prima...Islafjord

SakeDad

I don't have any answers to your question but I saw this post on the Star's current cruise roll call. See Post #481 and 484. Apparently the Star is now tendering in Isafjordur. I appreciate the Prima is not the Star and for whatever unknown reason they may not be able to tender, but an honest explanation to the passengers sure would be nice if they don't tender and instead cancel the port.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2858780-norwegian-star-june-12-to-23-2023-11-day-tromso-norway-to-reykjavik-iceland/page/20/#comments

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sharonann24 said:

We are on the July 27 sailing so I will be watching this with interest.  Updates greatly appreciated.

Same here, except we are on the August 6th sailing.

Would appreciate an update from you as you will be the sailing immediately prior to ours.

We tendered in Isafjordur when on the Star last July, it was fine, no issues and quite easy. 

Would be interesting to know whether or not Prima can tender, and if not, then why. 

Edited by bluesea777

39 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

We tendered in Isafjordur when on the Star last July, it was fine, no issues and quite easy. 

Would be interesting to know whether or not Prima can tender, and if not, then why. 

Prima is scheduled to use tenders in Geiranger, and don't they usually use lifeboats for tenders?

14 minutes ago, mconthehighseas said:

Prima is scheduled to use tenders in Geiranger,

gerainger is listed as a tender port, but the port recently introduced a floating walkway which extends to the ship. a standard gangway is used in conjunction with that. they only have one of those floating walkways, so it is possible if more than one ship is in port that the other ship(s) would have to tender.

• Like 1

Here is the Geiranger Port schedule: https://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls/. Position 4B/SW is the Seawalk @UKstages referenced. It looks like the Prima is scheduled to use the seawalk for all but their July 7 visit which says Position 2. I assume that is a tender position, but I don't know for sure. Regardless, to think that NCL's brand new flagship is unable to tender is inconceivable. Plus we know from past passengers that they tendered during the winter for some locations.

i forget which deck (maybe 4? maybe 5?), but i saw signs for tenders during some of my port visits when i walked off the ship. we didn't tender at any port, but i did see signs for when they presumably do use tenders. 

17 minutes ago, DMP609 said:

Here is the Geiranger Port schedule: https://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls/. Position 4B/SW is the Seawalk @UKstages referenced. It looks like the Prima is scheduled to use the seawalk for all but their July 7 visit which says Position 2. I assume that is a tender position, but I don't know for sure. Regardless, to think that NCL's brand new flagship is unable to tender is inconceivable. Plus we know from past passengers that they tendered during the winter for some locations.

perfect, I am supposed to be there on the 7th, watching the current cruise to see if they get to the port or not.

• Like 1

all cruises so far have called on gerainger. that's where this floating walkway is.

this thread was about isafjörður. then it took a slight detour to discussion of gerainger. none of the prima cruises have gone to isafjörður yet... the port call has always been canceled for the past three or four weeks.

so, where are you scheduled on the 7th? isafjörður or gerainger?

gerainger is pretty much a sure thing.

it's isafjörður that has become problematic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

all cruises so far have called on gerainger. that's where this floating walkway is.

this thread was about isafjörður. then it took a slight detour to discussion of gerainger. none of the prima cruises have gone to isafjörður yet... the port call has always been canceled for the past three or four weeks.

so, where are you scheduled on the 7th? isafjörður or gerainger?

gerainger is pretty much a sure thing.

it's isafjörður that has become problematic.

I'm the reason for the detour.  Someone asked if Prima can use tenders, and I gave info from NCL.
Prima is supposed to dock at Isafjörður on the 7th btw.

How many cruises have missed Isafjörður?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jtrollin said:

perfect, I am supposed to be there on the 7th, watching the current cruise to see if they get to the port or not.

The current cruise had the port canceled. My friend is on this sailing.

We sail August 17, so really hoping we get to visit this port. Really looking forward to our waterfall excursion.

• Like 1

I found this page on the city website:

https://www.isafjordur.is/is/thjonusta/samgongur/hafnir/skemmtiferdaskip/skemmtiferdaskip-2023

There's two parts to this page. One is the calendar, the other is the schedule below.

It seems like they might keep the calendar up to date because there's no calls for the prima in June. The schedule below had some scheduled.

The dock that's under construction and was supposed to be completed in 2023 is Sundabakki 2. Supposedly they were going to have phases that allowed bigger ships to dock as they built which could explain why some are docking. I can't find info online as to the progress unfortunately.

If you look at the calendar, there are still port calls on the schedule for July for the Prima, including the next sailing. I'll be interested to see if it makes it, and if not, how quickly the calendar gets updated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Not the Prima but we had Isafjordur canceled last year on the Celebrity Summit. We were supposed to tender and it was canceled due to weather.

Cancelling due to weather is a whole different thing than cancelling because we will not tender.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Cancelling due to weather is a whole different thing than cancelling because we will not tender.

According to info I found on the port's page, it appears as though they supply tenders (or at least can). I do wonder if it's a capacity issue with ships already scheduled to tender.

I just called NCL. And for what it is worth (probably nothing), here is what happened.

I spoke to a representative, and she said she could not help with the question of whether there was a chance they would allow passengers off there. She said she only had the itinerary. I then asked if there was someone who might have that information. She said she would try. She came back and said that shore excursions would know, and would I mind being on hold.

After about 10 minutes, shore excursions came on. I explained again that no one had been allowed to get off the ship there in any of the May or June cruises. Her reply was they were selling excursions starting July 4th. I asked did they sell them also for May and June when the ship did not allow passengers to go ashore. She could not answer that, only that they were selling starting July 4th. 

I thought ok, maybe that is good news, none being sold the rest of this month, but they are starting July 4th. Then I realized that there may not be any days left in June for them to sell excursions for Isafjordur, so there was really nothing I learned as I am sure they have no problem selling excursions and taking in the money and then having to give credit for it near the end of the cruise when they cannot deliver the excursions.