Nieuw Statendam questions for first timer 7-day Norse Legends cruise

fastandhappy

I have tried the massages onboard at my sister’s urging. They are so so and overpriced.  Now if I want a massage I find someplace onshore.   Plenty of upscale hotels offer a massage and spa.  I would think you should be able to get an authentic Swedish massage in Stockholm. 

• Like 1

Hi Joyce,

By all means, bring your own bath products!   I am also very sensitive to scented products and HAL uses heavily perfumed Elemis shampoos and conditioner which I find just awful.

Some suggestions for Copenhagen post cruise:  Check out the Copenhagen card at https://copenhagencard.com/view/how-it-works

I would absolutely recommend a canal cruise, changing of the guards at Amalienborg Palace, a walk down the Stroget, a night visit to Tivoli Gardens, and Rosenborg Castle.  Also check out a walking tour with Hans Christian Anderson:  https://copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/ph_General.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fastandhappy said:

I will bring my own bath products Are there shelves in the shower?

Are the dining rooms cold? In photos I see women in sleeveless tops at dinner. What kind of a wrap would be good for someone who doesn't like air conditioning? I plan to wear light weight sweaters in the evening.

Others have answered your other questions, so I’ll just give my $0.02 on these.

There is likely to be a very small triangular shelf in the shower, but it won’t hold much. When I was on the Koningsdam last month, I brought a mesh bag with pockets and grommets at the top I bought on Amazon. It’s intended to be hung on shower rings, but since I only had a glass door, I brought good suction cup hooks to hang it by, and it worked perfectly for the additional shower items we brought. 

I never found the MDR or specialty dining rooms to be any cooler or warmer than other indoor areas of the ship. I think it was probably kept around 70-72°, at a guess. For me, since I tend to run warm, that meant I was fine in short sleeves. For someone who runs colder, you might appreciate having a wrap you can throw over your shoulders, if you don’t think the light sweater will be enough.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fastandhappy said:

Do you do other tipping?

At the end of the cruise, I give additional tips to those who have given me excellent service. I tip my cabin stewards because I request twice a day service to get ice and fresh towels in the evening. I have fixed seating in the MDR and tip my servers for remembering I like extra vegetables and tea after dinner.

I frequent the same bar and drink the same two drinks, one type in the afternoon and a different one in the evening.  I get to know a few of the servers, when I catch their eye, they bring me my drink.  I will occasionally tip them throughout the cruise for their excellent service.  

I provide these extra tips to the crew who go out of their way to make sure I have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I have motion sensor magnetic nightlights. One for the bathroom, one outside the door near the ground (to remind me of the large step into the bathroom), and one in the cabin. The nightlights provide just enough light to see but not so bright as to hurt my eyes. 
IMG_1364.jpeg.105769a5686dde835122e381ac804b3e.jpeg

So they're magnetic stick-on, so you can just put them on the walls? Are the bathroom walls magnetic as well?

This is a great tip, thank you!

The specialty restaurant and drinks charges or if with a beverage package already include the 18% gratuity. This applies to HIA benefits.  The daily service charges go to the room stewards, food servers, lido staff and some behind the scenes crew such as laundry.  As others mentioned, if someone gives you extra special service then of course you may tip them in cash extra and it goes directly to their pocket! I usually wait until the end of the cruise to do give any extra cash.   I tip a couple dollars for room service delivery, but they also are included in the Crew Appreciation fee.

21 hours ago, jules815 said:

So they're magnetic stick-on, so you can just put them on the walls? Are the bathroom walls magnetic as well?

This is a great tip, thank you!

Most of the cabin walls are steel. In the bathroom I set the nightlight on the counter or shelf. 

• Thanks 1