Nieuw Statendam questions for first timer 7-day Norse Legends cruise

fastandhappy

Thanks to a couple of previous responses to my questions on another thread, I only have a few more.

I have had motion sickness in cars and don't want to chance it on this trip. I plan to get the "Patch". Should I put it on before the ship leaves Copenhagen or wait to see if I have a problem? I have bought the seabands and will wear them.

Spa treatments: I always get massages at home and on vacations. I have looked at the offerings. I am concerned that all involve the use of fragrant products and I am allergic to anything floral or strong scented. I can bring my own products but are the rooms scented also? Has anyone tried them? Is there anyway to actually contact someone at HA for answers?

Is there soft lighting in the bathroom for nighttime visits? 

Internet: Do we need to buy an internet package to just check emails?

I think I read somewhere you can bring limited wine and water on board but I cannot find it. Can someone direct me to the appropriate area in HA information?

Weather:  I am a warm/hot weather person and realize I will not have that on this cruise. I have a rain poncho, gloves, hat and scarf, and I know I am supposed to "layer" tops, but should I have a jacket, and if so, what kind? I hate being cold and plan to wear sweaters most of the time.

We will spend 3 days in Stockholm pre-cruise, take the highspeed train to Copenhagen on 7-25, and spend 2 days in Copenhagen post cruise. I doubt we will ever return to these areas and would appreciate tips about best things to see and do, restaurants, etc. Any advice about the train? Should I book the tickets now? I love trains and the hi speed ride may be the highlight of this vacation for me!

Looking forward to this trip and maybe to meeting some of you.

Thank you for your help.

Joyce

1 hour ago, fastandhappy said:

Internet: Do we need to buy an internet package to just check emails?

If you want to check from the ship, you will need an internet package, although I do understand there is a daily plan, that may add up to be less, if you don't want to check from the ship often. 
If you have a smart phone with you, you can check while you are ashore, or docked. 

I think I read somewhere you can bring limited wine and water on board but I cannot find it. Can someone direct me to the appropriate area in HA information?

I wouldn't know where to find that in the policy, but do know the rule: 
Each adult is allowed to bring aboard a 'reasonable' amount of wine; the term 'reasonable' has not been defined. Each 750 ml bottle is subject to a $20 corkage fee. You carry the wine aboard, and report to a designated table where your fee is charged to your cabin, and the bottles get a sticker to show the fee has been paid. 
You are not allowed to bring water on board, with the exception of distilled water for DME. 

• Like 1

You sound like my DW. She is allergic to various chemical (even "natural") so avoids the spa treatments. Even bringing your own is no guarantee. She prefers massages at home. Allergies are unique to people so someone's response may not have the same reaction as you would. 

Depending on cabin, you may bring a nightlight. We just leave the bathroom light on and close the door (otherwise the ships motion will), some light comes under the door. 

Any temps below 70' and she has a parka. I would suggest a thin outer layer jacket (maybe even pants) that are water proof (not resistant) and also wind proof. We have a National brand and you can find some at outdoor stores or outlet malls (hint hint). A lightweight middle layer and a wicking (non cotton) base layer. That way you can be prepared for any temps and weather/wind. 

As Ruth said, corkage fees apply to wine and they don't like you bringing sodas and water to compete with onboard sales. But some people do and some get confiscated. 

You don't want to check email from ship without internet package. Ship satellite costs are triple without package, even using your phone. You can buy 1 package and share with cabinmate, but one has to log off before the other logs on. 

We haven't been to Copenhagen of Stockholm in many years so can't help there but love train travel in Europe. Depending on how many people are traveling and what section you want may dictate when to buy. If you require specific seats and section, I would pre purchase. (And don't forget to validate the ticket before boarding). 

• Like 1

I use to wear the motion sickness patches in the past (it is no longer available in Canada) and I believe the instructions are you should apply them prior to sailing.  Follow the directions and you should be fine.

With regards to your allergy to scents, I wanted to share that on my Alaska cruise in May on the Koningsdam I did notice that a lot of the crew noticeably wear scented products.  Cruise ships are not a scent free environment.  My Mother has a severe allergy to the chemicals used to make scents and there is no way she could ever sail on a cruise ship as there is simply too much exposure for her to protect herself.  Just be aware that depending on your allergy levels you will most likely be exposed to scents throughout your cruise.

• Like 1

Another couple of suggestions on weather and clothing.  

Check the relevant forecast as well as the averages. We had friends cruise the Columbia River last fall and temperatures were 10-20 below normal but they were prepared - others not so much.  And maybe pack something for extremes either way.

Good wicking layers are extra important if you are working up a sweat.  I like a silk layer if it isn't real cold.  Even a pair of tights under a pair of pants is helpful if you just need a little extra.   I also really like vests - fleece or a lightly quilted one.  I can wear it alone or add a layer of warmth under my mid-weight jacket.  I take a coat that can handle the extra bulk.  A hood is nice.

And don't forget to wear shoes and socks that are warm and can keep your feet dry.  

• Like 1

Hi fastandhappy,

I've used the "patch" for years. It takes about 4 hours to kick in so plan the first application accordingly. I too get motion sick very easily but over the years I can now tolerate more motion that I once could. I now wait until the motion begins to make me feel ill and then apply the patch. I then lie  down for a few hours and I'm fine.

My side effect is dry mouth, not to difficult to deal with. I will say the first time I cruised I wore a patch for the entire cruise. It worked great but for several days after the cruise I awoke at night feeling very motion sick. The same thing happened to my daughter. In both cases it never happened again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fastandhappy said:

Thank you for all the information, Reova. What is your National brand? I am definitely looking for the right jacket.

Columbia- it's Omni-Tech products are lightweight and pack easily and good for outerlayer rain/wind environment (just need warm layers underneath as temps fall). 

• Like 2

I will check it out. 

CruzR887 I did have 1 experience with the patch on a 3 day LA to Mexico cruise many years ago where I took it off as soon as I got off the ship and promptly became motion sick! I think I was told I should have waited to take it off for a couple of days. I will be sure to read the directions.

Thank you. I really appreciate all the tips.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, fastandhappy said:

Thank you for the information. I hadn't thought about the crew wearing scented products. I will take a mask in case it becomes a problem and will wait to book a massage until I can check out the spa.

Scents are also VERY noticeable in the elevators - I invariably get trapped at the back when passenger #25 steps in wearing Grandma's gardenia spray. No way to get off and I have a headache for next 2 days. That lingers a loooong time so you could step into an empty elevator and have an issue. Ugh...

Edited by Haljo1935
  • Like 2

Hi Joyce! We'll be on the same cruise!

We plan to walk around Copenhagen. I've looked at self-guided walking tours online. There's lots to see. We also plan to take a boat ride that leaves from the Nyhavn canal. It's reasonably priced and is one hour long. 

For a nightlight, I bring battery tea lights. The battery lasts longer than the trip if I turn it off during the day. No plug needed! 

I am puzzled what to do about water, also. We usually order a couple of cases of water that are delivered to our cabin on another cruise line. The "no plastic bottles" rule makes it tricky to figure out what to drink!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sallywallygal said:

I am puzzled what to do about water, also. We usually order a couple of cases of water that are delivered to our cabin on another cruise line. The "no plastic bottles" rule makes it tricky to figure out what to drink!

HAL has water you're can order, they have glass bottles for in the cabin and canned water for taking ashore. You can also take a refillable water bottle. 

On 6/20/2023 at 3:35 PM, fastandhappy said:

Is there soft lighting in the bathroom for nighttime visits? 

I have motion sensor magnetic nightlights. One for the bathroom, one outside the door near the ground (to remind me of the large step into the bathroom), and one in the cabin. The nightlights provide just enough light to see but not so bright as to hurt my eyes. 
IMG_1364.jpeg.105769a5686dde835122e381ac804b3e.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 10:13 AM, fastandhappy said:

Thank you for the information. I hadn't thought about the crew wearing scented products. I will take a mask in case it becomes a problem and will wait to book a massage until I can check out the spa.

My Mom has been dealing with this issue for over 30 years and I have lost count of the number of times I have witnessed her dealing with anaphylaxis from accidental exposure.  As a result all of us (her children and family) have also been living scent free so as to protect her and we notice scents very quickly.

Be very cautious around the shops on board as there is a shop that sells perfumes and of course passengers are free to sample them.  

Dressy nights may be an issue also as many people do dress up for it and for many, dressing up involves wearing scents.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the tips. Sallywallygal perhaps we can meet. I don't have a cabin yet which is a concern. My TA recommended doing the "guaranteed" cabin route of VE or better. I am sorry now but too late to change without spending a lot of money. I doubt we will spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway.

I always have an insulated water bottle with me. If the tap water is ok I don't have a problem withnusing it.

I will look into the Copenhagen ideas.

Ciao.

On 6/22/2023 at 5:44 PM, Haljo1935 said:

Scents are also VERY noticeable in the elevators - I invariably get trapped at the back when passenger #25 steps in wearing Grandma's gardenia spray. No way to get off and I have a headache for next 2 days. That lingers a loooong time so you could step into an empty elevator and have an issue. Ugh...

Elevators can be quite a challenge as an empty elevator can contain the scented vapours of someone who recently left.

• Like 2

Fortunately, my scent problems do not cause anaphylaxis, just severe headaches for which I have medicine to help. It is amazing to me that scenting everything has become so popular. There are many stores I cannot go into--you can even be bowled over by the smell when you walk by an open door in the mall. 

Thank you everyone for the tips. Sallywallygal perhaps we can meet. I don't have a cabin yet which is a concern. My TA recommended doing the "guaranteed" cabin route of VE or better. I am sorry now but too late to change without spending a lot of money. I doubt we will spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway...

have you considered Club Orange to get the cabin upgrade?

I have some new questions.

I just saw something on the Holland American site about prepaying the Crew Appreciation fee. Is there any reason to do so? Exactly what does this cover? I know I have read that a tip is added to bar bills. 18% I think. If you dine at specialty restaurants is a tip added? Expected? I really don't know what is expected on a cruise. I assumed we would leave a tip for the cabin stewards at the end of the cruise and tip if we have room service. What are appropriate amounts? Are we expected to tip in the dining room? Should the stewards be tipped daily?

I will bring my own bath products Are there shelves in the shower?

Are the dining rooms cold? In photos I see women in sleeveless tops at dinner. What kind of a wrap would be good for someone who doesn't like air conditioning? I plan to wear light weight sweaters in the evening.

I found a rain jacket I like but it would not be suitable as a wrap.

I really appreciate all the feedback I have been given. While I am an experienced traveler, I am not an experienced cruiser. I like to know what to expect.

Joyce

37 minutes ago, fastandhappy said:

I have some new questions.

I just saw something on the Holland American site about prepaying the Crew Appreciation fee. Is there any reason to do so? Exactly what does this cover? I know I have read that a tip is added to bar bills. 18% I think. If you dine at specialty restaurants is a tip added? Expected? I really don't know what is expected on a cruise. I assumed we would leave a tip for the cabin stewards at the end of the cruise and tip if we have room service. What are appropriate amounts? Are we expected to tip in the dining room? Should the stewards be tipped daily?

I will bring my own bath products Are there shelves in the shower?

Are the dining rooms cold? In photos I see women in sleeveless tops at dinner. What kind of a wrap would be good for someone who doesn't like air conditioning? I plan to wear light weight sweaters in the evening.

I found a rain jacket I like but it would not be suitable as a wrap.

I really appreciate all the feedback I have been given. While I am an experienced traveler, I am not an experienced cruiser. I like to know what to expect.

Joyce

HAL deduct the crew appreciation per day so no need to tip as you go along, though if your cabin steward provides outstanding service (only you can judge what that is) then leaving a cash tip at the end of the cruise is par for the course. My wife always brings light cardigans in case the dining room & other public areas are a bit chilly.we're on Nieuw Statendam this Sunday for the first time so I can't comment yet on shelves in the shower, but there tends to be adequate room for products (being almost bald this tends to concern my wife more than it does me!)

Hope this helps & enjoy your first cruise! 

• Like 1