Manhattan Cruise Port

young_ens

Cruising out of NYC in a few weeks now and have been planning on parking at the pier all along.   For whatever reason, they are no longer taking reservations after the 20th of July.

My questions to the seasoned folks: Should I expect to get there and have the lot be full/be turned away?  Is there a sweet spot time-wise to get there to be sure I have a spot at a secure facility?  

What is a good (safe) second option folks use?

TIA! 

I have had others disagree, but I have never heard or read about anyone ever being turned away from parking at the pier, I think this new reservation option is just a way to make more of a profit. We’ve sailed during fleet week and pier 88 was used by those ships, plenty of parking at 90.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, young_ens said:

My questions to the seasoned folks: Should I expect to get there and have the lot be full/be turned away? 

Why not just reach out to the parking operator since their contact information is on the NYCruise website (Operator of the Brooklyn and Manhattan Terminal):

For inquiries regarding Manhattan Cruise Terminal parking, email Jason.Rubino@propark.com or call 646.299.4670.

2 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Why not just reach out to the parking operator since their contact information is on the NYCruise website (Operator of the Brooklyn and Manhattan Terminal):

For inquiries regarding Manhattan Cruise Terminal parking, email Jason.Rubino@propark.com or call 646.299.4670.

Have.  He said "should be OK".  Not super inspiring!  

58 minutes ago, young_ens said:

58 minutes ago, young_ens said:

Please do not worry about this. 

I’d get there around noon. All the departing pax would have left already. So lots of spaces open up. I wouldn’t worry. 

For backup download the “Spot Hero” app. You’ll find a garage close by and get the best rate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, young_ens said:

He said "should be OK". Not super inspiring!  

That's a lawyerly answer, not committing to a firm answer because there's always the possibility of something remote happening. We're a city of lawyers, and it is an answer I might have given.

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 11:19 AM, young_ens said:

Typical New York non-committal answer.  But if you get there by mid-morning (11:00 AM or so) there will be ample space as debarking passengers will be leaving with their cars and people boarding with you will be coming in until mid-afternoon.    I do not think anyone can give you an iron clad guarantee, but I have never heard of them running out of space and have seen plenty of space there on several occasions as ships I was on were sailing.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 1:23 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Typical New York non-committal answer.  But if you get there by mid-morning (11:00 AM or so) there will be ample space as debarking passengers will be leaving with their cars and people boarding with you will be coming in until mid-afternoon.    I do not think anyone can give you an iron clad guarantee, but I have never heard of them running out of space and have seen plenty of space there on several occasions as ships I was on were sailing.

Agree++

• 1 month later...

Thought I should add a final entry for anyone who searches this topic.  

Just got back from our cruise and about a week out we decided to reserve a spot at Pier 81 (North Lobster),. Total cost was 285 for 10 days and spot guaranteed through SpotHero.   Took us 10 minutes to walk to Pier 88 with a large suitacase and 2 carry-ons.   Car was still there when we got off, no damage and I kept my car keys. Can't guarantee anyone else to have the same experience but also can't see why not..... Pier has security guard and seems to have a gate for overnight.

I'll also say when we sailed away, there were about 30 spots still at the port.  Had I been able to reserve at MCT, I would have gone there, so a fail by the operator I think....

Edited by young_ens

1 hour ago, young_ens said:

Thought I should add a final entry for anyone who searches this topic.  

Just got back from our cruise and about a week out we decided to reserve a spot at Pier 81 (North Lobster),. Total cost was 285 for 10 days and spot guaranteed through SpotHero.   Took us 10 minutes to walk to Pier 88 with a large suitacase and 2 carry-ons.   Car was still there when we got off, no damage and I kept my car keys. Can't guarantee anyone else to have the same experience but also can't see why not..... Pier has security guard and seems to have a gate for overnight.

I'll also say when we sailed away, there were about 30 spots still at the port.  Had I been able to reserve at MCT, I would have gone there, so a fail by the operator I think....

Thanks for posting - I was literally JUST trying to do a search regarding parking. I have never left from the NYC terminal and am freaking out about parking 😆I will look up where you parked for a backup and hope that the terminal itself has parking available when we arrive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgsoldit said:

Thanks for posting - I was literally JUST trying to do a search regarding parking. I have never left from the NYC terminal and am freaking out about parking 😆I will look up where you parked for a backup and hope that the terminal itself has parking available when we arrive

I think you will be fine, they just started the reservation system and so far no reports of people being turned away, just like before the reservation system. I can see why they added it, more $, but it makes folks think there is a need.

28 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I think you will be fine, they just started the reservation system and so far no reports of people being turned away, just like before the reservation system. I can see why they added it, more $, but it makes folks think there is a need.

This cruise actually leaves from Brooklyn so that parking lot looks pretty small. Hoping we find a space, seeing lots of reviews about how terrible and slow this port is so hoping for a smoother experience at the end of this month 

• Like 1

No reservations at the Brooklyn Terminal and is $45 a day. Never seen it full even with weekly MSC cruises the other two lines Princess and Cunard are infrequent sailings and Cunard with transatlantic not many people park. Throw in an occasional Crystal ship in the fall still won't exceed parking. 

https://nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

35 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

No reservations at the Brooklyn Terminal and is $45 a day. Never seen it full even with weekly MSC cruises the other two lines Princess and Cunard are infrequent sailings and Cunard with transatlantic not many people park. Throw in an occasional Crystal ship in the fall still won't exceed parking. 

https://nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

That is great news, thank you so much! I'm driving down from the Albany area and all the parking I've seen nearby charge a lower price BUT add a $10 daily premium for SUVs and then by the time you add Uber trips on the front and back end, it literally will cost the same or more than the $45/day so I was really hoping to be able to park right at the terminal for convenience.